Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

This isn't the right thread, but I had to share this.

Went down to the local pub with my dad. Didn't expect genre-busting snack innovation, but £1.25 bought me....

x2_8ac0ea

luka

any of you lot tried this-baked potato, lots of butter, baked beans, chedder cheese, coleslaw on the side....

Well - were they nice?

I will reply in the standard format

Snack: Bag of cockles in vinegar
Snack Rating: ****.5
Tasting notes: Totally gangmaster. Almost indistinguishable from seaside-fresh cockles, with hints of genuine 'Sellafield'. Slight discolouration.
Indigestion: expect to start shitting like a black swan any minute

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does anyone have tips either for:

(i) Making stock/glace more quickly and efficiently - takes so long to boil it down to glace, else I haven't got the space to store it;

(ii) commercially-sold stock that's good and cheap?

Thanks

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I don't know any quick tips, are there any? but ice cube trays are good for storing stock, then you can just use a cube a time. Doesn't help much with storage space tho.

If I'm 'cheating' I use the Knorr liquid meat stocks for curries and stuff which are not baaaad, not brilliant but OK, and that green dried vegetable bouillon one in the cylindrical, um, thing for vegetable ones, which is very good. You can get an amazing veal stock at Borough Market which is in a little jar which don't take up no space and is wicked on roast potatoes.

Ginger Pig at BM always gives away tons of pork bones for free if you're passing. I can't get free chicken carcasses anywhere tho.

PeteUM

It's all grist
Just found out our local butcher will give you 3 free-range chicken carcasses for 50p on a Wednesday, apparently with quite a bit of meat on.

haji

lala
primitive but highly effective recipe by txt:
Whisk 2 whites a bit, add half cup me sugar and then 2 cups of coconut. Preheat oven to 180 and put the mixture in small balls on a tray for 10 minutes or until brown
also available in almond, pistach, mmm :p

nochexxx

harco pronting
just finished reading Marco Pierre White's autobiography and within it's pages he describes the only way to roast chicken (works with turkey as well).

1: wrap a chicken with heat resistant clean film
2: poach it for 10 minutes.
3: leave it to rest
4: unwrap it (keep all the juices) and then pan fry each side in butter
5: roast it in the oven until the juice runs clear

i was impressed with the simplictiy of this - shortens cooking time quite considerably and looks to be a peice of piss.

mos dan

fact music
I don't know any quick tips, are there any? but ice cube trays are good for storing stock, then you can just use a cube a time. Doesn't help much with storage space tho.

If I'm 'cheating' I use the Knorr liquid meat stocks for curries and stuff which are not baaaad, not brilliant but OK, and that green dried vegetable bouillon one in the cylindrical, um, thing for vegetable ones, which is very good. You can get an amazing veal stock at Borough Market which is in a little jar which don't take up no space and is wicked on roast potatoes.

Ginger Pig at BM always gives away tons of pork bones for free if you're passing. I can't get free chicken carcasses anywhere tho.

i like nothing better than making a strong chicken stock for chicken soup when i'm ill. you have to let it boil for the best part of a day, so this only really works if you're ill or it's the weekend. or sometimes, if you're an idle freelancer. oh the fun i've had forgetting it's on the stove until 3 litres has accidentally boiled down to 300ml.

i second the vegetable bouillon, they're pretty good. so is a glace like a more condensed stock? i'll ask google..

i'm going to try the marco chicken technique, cheers. did anyone see his show on itv, which featured this immortal scene

[standing next to a massive pig in a muddy field]

a pig should be FAT.

[dramatic pause, fixes glare on the camera]

like a woman.

Krasner

I made Spätzle for the first time earlier this week. Its similar in texture to gnocchi only much easier to make. If you fry it in butter after boiling the contrast between its crisp exterior and the doughy bite is sublime.

Predictably the Germans usually serve it with butter and cheese (probably a sausage too) but I eschewed this in favour of an Italian inspired courgette, marscapone & lemon sauce. Was delicious and a refreshing change from the tyranny of your standard carbs.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i second the vegetable bouillon, they're pretty good. so is a glace like a more condensed stock? i'll ask google..

glace is basically super-concentrated stock, which then becomes like stock cubes when you freeze it. Also makes the best soup in the world - it is as close to orgasmic as any food experience...

@Krasner - had spatzle in Berlin, but wasn't impressed. Think I chose a mediocre place, though.

luka

what do you like with your cheese on toast? i favour mustard, or tomato sauce if im having it italian style.
if im feeling energetic i might cut up some spring onion, or just a standard onion.
dont realy use anything but cheddar. a fat friend of mine lkes making cheese on toast with about 3 types of cheese and some mayonncasie but when i tried it it made me feel a bit sick, although when i was a teenager i sometimes made it with mayonassie and peanut butter which seems quite perverted now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love getting inventive with cheese on toast - of course a good mature cheddar is generally the foundation, but other cheeses can be great instead/in addition. Toasted blue cheese is amazing - try stilton with pear slices on wholemeal. And halloumi, which of course cooks and browns without melting. Or mozarella, for a near-instant mini-pizza.

Great Drunk Food, too.