bloggers

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Andrea Bargnani. The great white hope. I would start a basketball thread but I don't think there is enough people here with an interest to warrant one.

no way start one anyway man, you & I at least...if all these dudes can have their footie threads then we can have a basketball one...playoffs coming up & that - tho I reckon they'll be quite dull unless someone can upset the Lakers...I suppose a LeBron/Kobe Finals has its appeal but the Cavs are just dreadful to watch, as ever...Zydrunas Ilgauskas & Pau Gasol mucking about in the post game after game, ugh...tho I guess it can't be as bad as Spurs/Cavs or Spurs/Pistons for that matter...

when I was living out in Oakland (still a Warriors fan - more cause they rep the city hard than for the team itself) we had an Italian great white hope of our own, uh Marco something...I don't think he panned out but he was perfect Nellie material, a long athletic wing with a great shot who couldn't play defense to save his life...still that team a couple yrs ago of Baron/S-Jax/Monta Ellis/Mickael Pietrus/goofy Latvian dude was so much fun...

EDIT: Fucking hell this Free Darko blog is immense. Z-graphs?!
EDIT: Fuck music blogs, sports blogs all the way

yeah but most sports blogs are not like Free Darko...yeh it's pretty nuts I guess the original concept was to write stuff & then translate it via Babelfish into Russian & then back into English, or to emulate Babelfish translations, or something like that...actually they used to get accused all the time of being Billups knockoffs...as mentioned tho the main guy Shoals is alright - I remember him telling me he was well into the hip hop tape trading circuit back in the late 90s for like post-Freestyle Fellowship stuff a la Radioactive Anti-Mc, Eligh, early MURS & so on...which totally made sense...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
no way start one anyway man, you & I at least...if all these dudes can have their footie threads then we can have a basketball one...
I remember him telling me he was well into the hip hop tape trading circuit back in the late 90s for like post-Freestyle Fellowship stuff a la Radioactive Anti-Mc, Eligh, early MURS & so on...which totally made sense...

you two should definitely start one of those: Oliver started a rugby thread and there's only about six of us that ever seem to comment there with any regularity.

nice detail on the post-FF tapes, was listening to their debut album the other day for the first time in years.

luka

tim finney wrote about music so well that it made me not want to write about music ever again. thats what i mean about that time, there were people that could write so very very well.
things like History Is Made At Night are not anywhere close to that level i don't think. owen is the only one that im aware of operating on the same sort of level although i can't always be bothered wading through it all

luka

maybe i don't mean that exactly, im not sure. maybe its something as simple as having an imagination.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
People can always write very very well. Maybe people aren't as interested in blogs anymore because everyone has one and so having a good blog doesn't hold the weight it might've felt like it had in an earlier time.

I, for one, can say that there isn't much at all that excites me about internet publishing.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
no way start one anyway man, you & I at least...if all these dudes can have their footie threads then we can have a basketball one...playoffs coming up & that

We'll have a playoffs thread when they start. I'd be content with a Kobe/Lebron showdown because I've been so slack following the league this year. My fingernails have only just grown back from the Spurs/Pistons match-up. I actually really liked the Pistons that year.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
thanks for that documentary! interesting stuff. enjoyed reading this thread too

went hunting for luka's blog after listening but no joy. the wayback machine let me down

ory - corpsey's blog is at ictat.blogspot.com now

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
We'll have a playoffs thread when they start. I'd be content with a Kobe/Lebron showdown because I've been so slack following the league this year. My fingernails have only just grown back from the Spurs/Pistons match-up. I actually really liked the Pistons that year.

well I grew up in Chicago & my childhood coincided with the Jordan years so I'm actually legally required to hate the Pistons, the Jordan Rules & all that...one of my earliest sports memories is watching Isaiah Thomas & Laimbeer walk off the court early after the Bulls swept them in 1991...tho I did rather like that Wallaces/Billups/Walker/Hamilton team, you have to respect a team that plays like that...& I've always been a big Tim Duncan fan...& I really like good defense...but honestly that series was excruciating...

I don't follow it at all but apparently basketball is the 2nd biggest sport in Europe after footie? tho maybe moreso on the mainland (especially Spain, Italy, Greece, Eastern Europe) than the UK tho...

hucks

Your Message Here
I don't follow it at all but apparently basketball is the 2nd biggest sport in Europe after footie? tho maybe moreso on the mainland (especially Spain, Italy, Greece, Eastern Europe) than the UK tho...

Well, what else have they got? They don't play cricket, do they? Weirdos.

Alfons

Way of the future
20090415-400.jpg

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Oh OK, let's all give up and read Mojo and OMM for the rest of our lives then eh?

I didn't mean that. I don't mind other people's online work, I just mean I personally don't derive much excitement from seeing something I've written appear on the internet.

mos dan

fact music
i thought i felt my ears burning (i have been away, in spain) - blackdown, consider me called out. have only skimmed thread, but i agree, the twitters of this world should not/cannot replace blogs as a medium for exploring and discussing music - and of course the mainstream media will never adequately be able to do so.

i have been promising myself i will blog (i.e. *write*) more, and i think various other slackers need to as well. logging on to find that eden or yourself or melissa b or whoever has really put time and energy into a new blog post, whether it be a comprehensive 'think piece' or an interview or review, i still find really inspiring.. and exciting, the way i used to feel excited by the new issue of melody maker when i was 13. saying that, i'm not going to be able to be back blogging in the next couple of weeks myself, dang. after that, honest..