90s and 00s US house/garage

four_five_one

Infinition
to my ears, Dunn and Poindexter are at the hard technoid-mechanix end of house, at some remove from whatever it is that garage is supposed to be . . . .

I agree - I wanted to mention MK cf. garage - but I thought this was originally more a 'favourite house trax' thread, so thought I'd throw in a couple of favourite Chicago tracks that hadn't been mentioned.

Andy, I thought much like house was named after The Warehouse club in Chicago, garage is derived from The Paradise Garage. Obviously there are far more similarities betw. Chicago and NY house than differences, but I would say that garage has a more ostensible disco influence, hence the smoother, 'classier' vibe and also places more emphasis - gives more of the frequency spectrum - to the bassline (maybe this is why it's more 'bumping' than 'bangin' ala Chicago/Detroit).

I think the Paradise Garage was renowned for its sound-system's ability to produce low-frequencies, perhaps that's why more bass was more prominent in NYC tracks than elsewhere. Although PG had closed by the time many of the classic garage tracks were produced. Still, I think I remember Simon Reynold's discussing in EF, Reese producing one of the first Detroit tracks with heavy bass, 'Just Want Another Chance', Kevin Saunderson had visited the Paradise Garage, and was 'vibing' what a really heavy bassline would feel like in there, how it would sound - and so produced the much sampled, and imitated (esp. in d'n'b) 'Reese bass'.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Andy, I thought much like house was named after The Warehouse club in Chicago, garage is derived from The Paradise Garage. Obviously there are far more similarities betw. Chicago and NY house than differences, but I would say that garage has a more ostensible disco influence, hence the smoother, 'classier' vibe and also places more emphasis - gives more of the frequency spectrum - to the bassline (maybe this is why it's more 'bumping' than 'bangin' ala Chicago/Detroit).

I think the Paradise Garage was renowned for its sound-system's ability to produce low-frequencies, perhaps that's why more bass was more prominent in NYC tracks than elsewhere. Although PG had closed by the time many of the classic garage tracks were produced. Still, I think I remember Simon Reynold's discussing in EF, Reese producing one of the first Detroit tracks with heavy bass, 'Just Want Another Chance', Kevin Saunderson had visited the Paradise Garage, and was 'vibing' what a really heavy bassline would feel like in there, how it would sound - and so produced the much sampled, and imitated (esp. in d'n'b) 'Reese bass'.

That's a great explanation, thanks :) .
Damn, Just Want Another Chance is such a great tune, might have to go and stick it on in a minute. Modified Reese bass was a big part of a lot of classic No U-Turn tunes, wasn't it?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
What would people say is the main distinction between US Garage and just 90s US House?

wull it depends on how one defines Garage House - as dude mentioned, more disco than machine music e.g. "classy" etc. (tho I dunno smooth - there's a lot of raw as f**k Garage). also heavy soul/gospel influences - some of that whole tradition of black church music crossing over w/black popular music (which goes back to early R&B and Rnr & probably before), lots of vocals - diva or diva male & never cut up (which was supposedly a sticking point for some US dons over UKG), songs over tracks, pretensions to musicanship e.g. musicians over producers. that's my take on it at least. the name most associated w/US Garage proper is Tony Humphries so I guess you could also say it's whatever he played at, uh, can't remember the name of the club in Jersey.

one thing I'm not clear on, as mentioned upthread, is where Garage House bleeds into Deep House. especially cos both terms are fairly amorphous, especially the latter, & are used to mean a ton of different things. at a certain point it seems like Garage House became Deep House - e.g. Kerri Chandler or something - talking specifically in the NY/NJ context. tho maybe I'm just talking out my arse here.

90s US House is a huge thing remember - that includes Progressive (BT & such), all that early 90s commercial house (a lot of which was pretty garage-y, C+C Music Factory & Ce Ce Peniston & so on), all the San Francisco stuff a la Hardkiss, all the track-y acid & ghetto house out of Chicago, Detroit deep house, all that Latin/tribal stuff (again, pretty garage-y), & on & on.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Modified Reese bass was a big part of a lot of classic No U-Turn tunes, wasn't it?

Yeah & techstep (& post-techstep) generally but even before that.

For example Renegade (Ray Keith & Nookie) - "Terrorist" is a Reese bassline & that's from '94. I dunno if that was the first track w/a Reese (Droid to thread!) tho it's the one everyone always cites.

also re: dubby/deep/big basslines in US Garage - that's a really interesting point about "bumpin'" vs. "bangin'". one thing I wonder tho - I mean I think when people, especially post-jungle & UKG Brits, talking about dubbiness in Garage they're also referring to B-Sides & dub mixes which Speed Garage DJs would play pitched up & w/vox cut in & out, ruffed up jungle style - before there were proper UKG records.

The difference between US Garage and US house has never been explained that well, I'd be tempted to say that it was a mistake to come up with the name in the first place. I suppose it's down to gospel vocals. India & MAW came up with verse chorus type songs but would latinos like them have not have been labelled as Garage because the vocals didn't sound properly 'raised in the church'?

dominic

Beast of Burden
The difference between US Garage and US house has never been explained that well, I'd be tempted to say that it was a mistake to come up with the name in the first place.

yeah, i think it was simply a case of NY/NJers resenting fact that music was called "house" after a club in chicago. how dare chicago take precedence over new york!

I suppose it's down to gospel vocals.

except that cc rogers "someday" is called house

India & MAW came up with verse chorus type songs but would latinos like them have not have been labelled as Garage because the vocals didn't sound properly 'raised in the church'?

it depends more on the production at issue than who the producers are

some things by MAW are called house----->the ha song

some are garage--------->let me groove you

some are deep house---------->only love can break your heart

some are broken beat------>it's alright, i feel it

dominic

Beast of Burden
some big early 90s garage hits , , , ,

on 430 West Records

on Ace Beat

from Canada's Ron Allen

Ann Consuelo -- See the Day =

-----------------------------------------------------
for DEEP HOUSE, too smooth to be garage, we have Chicago's Larry Heard

also chicago's tikkle =

chicago's mondee oliver on gherkin =

mike perras on the very deep label bassic =

very deep midi, maxi, efti remix =

too jamaican or too techy or whatever to be garage (even though he claims otherwise), Prince of Dance el Bee Bad=====
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_shjhqIOYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1N0iArsuU

and from Canada, this wonderful reworking of bobby konders =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syerb6D2vI

probably BELTRAM's best track ever is this =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9rfId2UxJY

going back to 1987, forgot about this one by Virgo =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q-O8SPVBrE

and last, a rather ravey garage track off King Street =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i68V3AwqXA

and really truly the last, the way too UP to be deep house or garage, but a sound factory classic =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kEADvNza6M

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
seems like the right place to say: i'm going to see omar s on friday! pretty excited about the prospect.. has anyone mentioned the fabric cd? i probably missed that. 'day'! omg! etc.

has anyone mentioned you can get omar s ice cube trays?

CS312912-01A.jpg

FXHE Ice Tray With Omar S Logo (impress your friends at cocktail hour with Omar S-branded deep house ice cubes)

Client Eastwood

seems like the right place to say: i'm going to see omar s on friday! pretty excited about the prospect.. has anyone mentioned the fabric cd? i probably missed that. 'day'! omg! etc.

has anyone mentioned you can get omar s ice cube trays?

CS312912-01A.jpg

Yeah i got the Omar S CD (thanks Martin) on the first couple of listens I didnt really get into it too much and kept skipping to Day over and over which i adore.

Then one time it was in the player and I suddenly locked into the how hynotic it gets after about 10 mins of those bumpy kicks and shuffles. I found this with a lot of the Detroit beatdown stuff. You have to let it wash over you in a way and it'll pull you in.

There's Bodytronic Omar S mix out there too which is worth d/ling.

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

Great timing in bumping this thread as I was looking for a suitable house thread. Randomly came across this today on my PC. Bit of a long intro but then it kicks in.