When did dubstep lose the plot?

when did dubstep lose the plot?

• Total voters

nomos

Administrator
the comment above, that it lost the plot at the moment when it realized it had one, is on the money i think. not a bad thing either because that's when you get a lot of the more creative people saying screw this and trying something different.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I'm glad that lots of people are feeling Black Sun, genuinely. I just can't fully share in that love.
For me the problem with both that and 2FG is that they sound almost exactly how you would expect the first stab at making funky-inspired tunes by a long-term producer of spacey dubstep to turn out. (Obviously it would have been pointless if he'd gone totally the opposite direction and made something that sounds just like a Roska record, say, but I reckon based on currently released stuff that he still has a way to go in exploring this style).

mms

sometimes
For me the problem with both that and 2FN is that they sound almost exactly how you would expect the first stab at making funky-inspired tunes by a long-term producer of spacey dubstep to turn out.QUOTE]

really?
when you heard black sun for the first time you thought ' yep exactly like i predicted'?

franz

well they do sound a lot like his kode9 tracks, that's for sure. and that puts them squarely in a place where very few other funky producers are treading (any?), which i am happy about. i've never thought of them as full on funky tracks, and don't have any problem with that.
unless it's the genre that's meeting them half way, i personally wouldn't look forward to the time when it could be said of a lot of the current crop of crossover producers that they were making properly identifiable funky tracks...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
For me the problem with both that and 2FG is that they sound almost exactly how you would expect the first stab at making funky-inspired tunes by a long-term producer of spacey dubstep to turn out. (Obviously it would have been pointless if he'd gone totally the opposite direction and made something that sounds just like a Roska record, say, but I reckon based on currently released stuff that he still has a way to go in exploring this style).

This sort of ties in with the thing about it 'losing the plot when it knows it has one'. I love reading about dance music, I've discovered so many artists/tunes through this forum and others and it's interesting seeing how things develop out of other things etc... but it seems sometimes that all this theoretical/historical analysis really gets in the way of my perception of the actual music.

When you start seeing music in terms of a 'direction', you can start to dismiss things you might otherwise like because you think 'oh, well of course this is the first sign that funky is going to become too ____ because of (x,y,z) making PI + the square root of gabba'...

nomos

Administrator
yeah but music often sees itself in terms of directionality. FWD» etc. better theory works with that.

hhc arguments aside, i think the 'energy flash' idea speaks really well to this sort of thing.
i.e. an initial moment that's all potential; it only acquires identifiable shape in retrospect; and, as it fades, it spins off x number of tangeants that select which residual energies to retain and which to replace.

CrowleyHead

I'm glad that lots of people are feeling Black Sun, genuinely. I just can't fully share in that love.

In that regard though, did you ever listen to Kode doing funky under the "Frankie Solaar" alias? I don't know if he played that tune anywhere other than on DJ /Rupture's show, but it's certainly not as... 'predictable' as Black Sun is for you.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
When you start seeing music in terms of a 'direction', you can start to dismiss things you might otherwise like because you think 'oh, well of course this is the first sign that funky is going to become too ____ because of (x,y,z) making PI + the square root of gabba'...

I don't really think so, especially not if you've been involved for a number of years with music that definitely has carried a narrative whether you like to admit it or not. Again, all 'nuum theory aside, having gotten into grime in around '04/'05, then following it through dubstep and funky, educating myself in all the old garage tunes, the narrative aspect of the music is really unavoidable regardless of how much or how little thought you devote to it.

Any tremors, disruptions, progressions, it's all as if someone has come into your room and very slightly moved the furniture around. You decide whether you move it back again, but you can't deny it moved.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
LOL. It's tricky cos on the one hand I have tunes out etc (playing Bristol on Friday at Thekla with Ben UFO and MJ Cole!!!) but on the other I'm just a massive fan of all this stuff. The Beyond night was massive, and Kode dropping Black Sun really was a special moment, everyone on the dancefloor - about ten bof us! - looked at each other as if to say "this is the one!" And when he played MDL soon after... it was just wicked, one of the highlights of my life. Seriously. It was the 140bpm version, before I took it down to 130 for the release.

So yeah, it is a bit promotional, it can't not be. But it's worth saying, part of my experience of the nights, as a fan. :)

Diss04

threads get mangled
Dubstep ain't lost it, it just went dumb. that's what happens when Americans get in on the act.

Some producers have stayed consistent, some fell off - way of the world.

The more melodic garage influenced Dubstep of people like Untold is what I'm feeling at the moment.

Genres have peaks and troughs, Dubstep is just goin' through a blip - it'll come out OK.

If not there is always Funky and Wonky to tide us over 'til something else comes along, right?