hardcore classics

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
But aaaaanyway, I kind of agree with what you were saying above. Hardcore evolved into different things in different places (think this is something I've actually mentioned before when we've been discussing the continuum and so forth). But for better or worse, it seems that within that wider change hardcore > jungle is the particular direction that most people here are interested in, so it gets talked about more. Perhaps you're right that we're limiting ourselves by doing this and should talk about other things. There is a thread covering the early years of happy hardcore now, so that's at least something. Again if you want to start a thread about early gabba then go for it, it's not quite my cup of tea but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested to read about it.

mms

sometimes
But aaaaanyway, I kind of agree with what you were saying above. Hardcore evolved into different things in different places (think this is something I've actually mentioned before when we've been discussing the continuum and so forth). But for better or worse, it seems that within that wider change hardcore > jungle is the particular direction that most people here are interested in, so it gets talked about more. Perhaps you're right that we're limiting ourselves by doing this and should talk about other things. There is a thread covering the early years of happy hardcore now, so that's at least something. Again if you want to start a thread about early gabba then go for it, it's not quite my cup of tea but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested to read about it.

its a bit of a poor thread it's called hardcore classics and has no belgian stuff in it basically, ie probably the most dominant and successful music in early hardcore and also pretty much the inventors of the sound along with the dutch. I know it doesn't fit into this comfy linear idea that from hardcore onwards it's all about east london, which perpetuates with kids nowdays but honestly the reality was very different, you could go to a rave and hear different styles or different raves and hear different styles. DJ's at big raves came from all over Europe and the UK too.
It seems people are too easy to reinvent the story of hardcore as something that was uk and came from london and then became jungle.

TBH I think the whole hardcore continnum idea has got a bit lost basically, by people who never read Blissblogs book and have a funny idea about what it all means - people who were never there too and people with a dodgy ideology to sustain, and i think ppl should be careful about that really.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

lol, condescending is a word I'd never have associated with Tentative Andy. Is it possible to be both tentative and condescending at the same time?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
you're clearly unaware of how condescending you sound.

Def not my intention buddy. All I was trying to say (politely) was that if you think Belgian hardcore should be repped more in here, then post some Belgian hardcore, talk about why you like it, make the case for why it's important - rather than just jumping in and complaining, and making out like everyone else in the thread are idiots and yesmen (which maybe it's just me but you seem to be doing quite a lot lately), because if you do that then most people will just ignore you and you're no better off.

mms

sometimes
Def not my intention buddy. All I was trying to say (politely) was that if you think Belgian hardcore should be repped more in here, then post some Belgian hardcore, talk about why you like it, make the case for why it's important - rather than just jumping in and complaining, and making out like everyone else in the thread are idiots and yesmen (which maybe it's just me but you seem to be doing quite a lot lately), because if you do that then most people will just ignore you and you're no better off.

ok, i don't think you've come across intentionally like that, and also if you feel that way then that's not my problem, and i've made the case too, not that there is a case to make it's just not in the thread.
To enter a discussion you have to enter a thread and i put forward some examples which i did, and i don't need to be policed.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It seems people are too easy to reinvent the story of hardcore as something that was uk and came from london and then became jungle.

TBH I think the whole hardcore continnum idea has got a bit lost basically, by people who never read Blissblogs book and have a funny idea about what it all means - people who were never there too and people with a dodgy ideology to sustain, and i think ppl should be careful about that really.

History of the world though, isn't it? I'm sure this is true of myriad other scenes, that they have been misrepresented over time, and in lots of cases almost no-one except people who were there are aware of this misrepresentation.

And it would be a pity if the Belgain stuff were to be 'lost', of course, but I don't think that's really the case in this, er, case. Virtually anyone who knows what hardcore is (and most people don't, aside from the big hits such as the Prodigy and Baby D, which they don't see as part of any type of continuum other than a broad dance one), is aware of R&S and Dominator, which are a lot less obscure than loads of UK hardcore, even stuff like Acen.

mms

sometimes
History of the world though, isn't it? I'm sure this is true of myriad other scenes, that they have been misrepresented over time, and in lots of cases almost no-one except people who were there are aware of this misrepresentation.

And it would be a pity if the Belgain stuff were to be 'lost', of course, but I don't think that's really the case in this, er, case. Virtually anyone who knows what hardcore is (and most people don't, aside from the big hits such as the Prodigy and Baby D, which they don't see as part of any type of continuum other than a broad dance one), is aware of R&S and Dominator, which are a lot less obscure than loads of UK hardcore, even stuff like Acen.

fuck me it's not a controversial idea all i did was put some hardcore tracks in the hardcore classics thread
dissensus lol

i'm off.

Last edited:

luka

a shank or a busted bottle of bucky to the face-piece. those glaswegians are always tooled up.

outraygeous

Xenaphobia - Rush in the house

Came on my shuffle on the weekend. Instantly transported me back to a time taping music off pirates when I was a kid.

Mate had an older uncle who had some 12s and was into the rave scene. When your 12, that shits amazing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
fuck me it's not a controversial idea all i did was put some hardcore tracks in the hardcore classics thread
dissensus lol

i'm off.

er, best not to post when you're in a bad mood? I say this as someone who's done it.

I was just replying to your point...! I always thought of the 'hardcore continuum' as whatever was playing on east London radio, rather than where the people making the sound came from.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
er, best not to post when you're in a bad mood? I say this as someone who's done it.

I was just replying to your point...! I always thought of the 'hardcore continuum' as whatever was playing on east London radio, rather than where the people making the sound came from.

i'm in a fine mood, anyway - if you're going down the history always favours the winners route, something like robert miles chidren is an ascendant of the line that goes belgian hardcore / dutch pop hardcore > hard trance > eurotrance
it's just the story of this place and a current vogue.