hardcore classics

grimjaw

a bit of euro influenced uk hardcore that I dont thinks been posted yet from the FSOL guys...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

and this ,from the Pulse Fm 90.6 crew ,which wasn't made Belgium but was marketed as such in late 91...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
speaking of alternate continuum interpretations, can we tlk bout early 90s pop/house/breakbeat nexus that is a simultaneously a cousin of both ardkore (especially its more loved up/laidback side) and the whole c+c music factory, haddaway (i.e. what is love) garage house pop crossover thing. as well as being a forerunner of both gat decor and all that awfully boring prog house but also of straight up eurotrance like sash or whatever and also happy hc and maybe in a weird way - and this is the topically relevant kicker I mean - the current dominance of the 4/4 kick , euro house/trance synths in american pop music. which is something I would've foreseen . I know by the 20 year rule/cycle of trends this is exactly the time when current musicos & producers should be plundering the early 90s - and they are/have been - but not that particular trend given the time honored american tradition of loathing for proper "dance" music and the underwhelming nature of house's first crossover into american mainstream via c+c mf etc. oh and what I am referring to btw? (I'm not going to clutter this up further w/ytubes, I mean you can find them all on there easily yourself, if requested I suppose I can go back later & put in links)

jx - son of a gun + there's nothing i won't do
dream frequency - feel so real + one nation, etc
k-klass - rhythm is a mystery
ultracynic - nothing is forever (posted upthread somewhere, some of these others might be too)
debbie malone - rescue me (the original breakbeat house tune?)
jimi polo - better days (or maybe this is the original? jimi polo was an old chicago guy. piano later sampled for congress - 40 miles, dj trace - inception, & a bunch of other tunes)
jk - you make me feel good
n-joi - anthem
various things by pianoman aka pcp
also more core-ish things like rachel wallace, messiah - temple of dreams + thunderdome (like the ultimate ardkore/proto eurotrance xover, see remix by acid/trance master oliver lieb: see also hyp-on-e's monarch of the glenn for a protojungle version of same as well as a totally bewildering mind**** of a tune if you've never heard it), manix, I guess theoretically any loved-up piano banger really

padraig (u.s.)

right so like a lot of those tunes don't directly have to do with each either, more of a vibe I guess, that's what i mean like one of those febrile crossover zones which seem to have been a dime a dozen in the primordial 90s, this one where you have italian euro house schlockmasters tossing in breakbeats & rave fx w/o a 2nd though, but also uk guys making this totally alien anti-music with enormous pop appeal other including sometimes techniques straight out of euro house or continental belgian stomp or u.s. garage bits. i mean ok it's a variation on a theme we've all heard 100 times I just personally never heard this part of it before. also the connection to so many records that probably a lot of people think are just the most utter commercial, and sure some of them are though I love them anyway, who would've thought this of all things would be the kinda thing influencing whoever produces for rihanna & keisha & taio cruz (I have no idea who that is mind) & so on to dominate america's pop charts, or at least strongly linked descendents thereof i.e. marcus' new beat belgian -> robert miles thing but more, uh, obscure I guess. and even the return of hip-house kinda, albeit a rather not at all good (well I guess hip-house was pretty not good to begin with) version with chainsaw eurosynths instead of chicago/garage piano lines or whatever. shit I would've guessed boys ii men & mary j. reruns if anything but I guess that vibe is maybe much too um dignified for the age of endless trivial self-revelation. or something.

or maybe it's just another excuse to talk about random piano anthems, not that there can ever be enough of those. I dunno I saw the little spat above & it just triggered in my head cos I've really been into this brand of tunes lately among other things. but it's very specific, like these things can absolutely horrible or worse, totally bland & forgettable but there's a surprisingly high hit rate, I guess it's the simplicity maybe of the formula of giant piano riff + diva wailing (or girl next door singing, either way) + simple breakbeat or 4/4 breakbeat hybrid rhythm. and maybe someone else has some thoughts.

padraig (u.s.)

seriously tho just go listen to a bunch of those tunes esp. if you never have & I reckon you'll see what I'm getting at

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Interesting post! the thing about growing up in the UK in the late 80s and early 90s, is that you only had to switch on the radio to hear Black Box or K-Klass or Oceanic or KLF or myriad other tunes that hit the top 40 in that period. it was so much a part of the fabric of pop, quite apart from if you even went to any raves.

i think US and UK pop diverged hugely during that period, possibly more than ever? Very little RnB/hip-hop stuff was massively popular in a chart sense, apart from the absolute mega-sellers like Whitney and Boyz II Men.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
just the melancholy Untrue-like vocal bit. not in a rain soaked clompy beats way.

it's early optical under his own first name

padraig interesting points and i was gonna expand on this too., the british charts were insane at the time
I remember my friend winning a copy of this in a competition

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gOyW8nB-0FY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

it's such an interesting track for me, musically it's the end of rave beginning of trance (infact it looks like its been remade and recharted several times) but it's strange - its so utterly meaningless, it's drivel but it seems to cover these odd bases, sort of pseudo spiritual element, gym friendly housewife element too, a repeated meaningless intent.

Do you remember deep forest too?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tPPsS4-Dsxg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

middle class chillout music - holger czukays 'boat song woman' gone really really wrong. The juxtaposition is so odd, i wonder why it happened at that time though, it's like there was some trickle up effect from crusty raves thru purchasing bad music or something. I always find it odd that people find this kind of ethno fusion wankery relaxing as i start to think about it's meaning.

THIS in contrast - basically a kick drum and some cymbals went top 20 in the uk:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IQmtwsNhvi4" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

can you imagine the sheer will needed to get that in the top 20, its bizarre to think that any group of people would be committed to it.

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
it's early optical under his own first name

I used to love Sparkling by Little Matt didn't realise it was Optical, interestingly he was also putting out cheesy Happy Hardcore in '94

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
can you imagine the sheer will needed to get that in the top 20, its bizarre to think that any group of people would be committed to it.

I doubt anyone was that committed to it, they just bought a copy, it wasn't really that big a deal to get something in the top 20 when people actually bought music.
I could imagine buying something like that if I was 15 and thinking it was amazing just cos it would have pissed my parents off.

mms

sometimes
I doubt anyone was that committed to it, they just bought a copy, it wasn't really that big a deal to get something in the top 20 when people actually bought music.
I could imagine buying something like that if I was 15 and thinking it was amazing just cos it would have pissed my parents off.

well a large number of people bought it obviously, and it's a pretty radical track for the top 20 - people spent money on that.

rivetrenuck

This is emberassing to say, as it seems that most people here seem to disapprove of Deep Forest, the Deep Forest is probably my first encounter with electronic music, I absolutely love it, middle class or not, tacky or not.

I remember us getting our first CD player (new technology at the time) They bundled the CD Hi Fi set with several CDs and one of them was Deep Forest (first ever CD I saw). I remember playing this CD over and over again, never to chill out, but it was quite magical for me.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MZiAXUGE1cU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In addition, here are some of my favourite hardcorish stuff

J Majik - Share the Blame
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4qusHZZASKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Total Science - Squash
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AqnQ7g80IeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>