Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
Apparently this is a statistician from a medical school or somesuch. As soon as I saw 'Minimax is effeminate' I knew it was my job to post it.

https://wmbriggs.com/post/29886/

We, on the other hand, minimaxed the hell out of the situation. We did our best WHAT-ABOUT-THE-CHILDREN! maximum death scenario, and then moved an entire country to war footing to avoid this worst case. Don’t forget what Cuomo said: any cost is worth it if we save just one life.

An alternative to minimax is Bayesian, meaning according all relevant information its due weight. And then acting on that cumulative knowledge, not on the worst damn thing that could happen. This is not a do-nothing policy, but a do-only-what’s-likely-necessary policy.

Minimax is effeminate. Our own country used to have hardier stock. Want proof?

Who recalls the 1957-1958 flu pandemic? The CDC said the “estimated number of deaths was 1.1 million worldwide and 116,000 in the United States.”

The 1968 pandemic? “The estimated number of deaths was 1 million worldwide and about 100,000 in the United States. Most excess deaths were in people 65 years and older.”

The wimpy 2009 pandemic had nothing on these guys. “From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus” and “151,700-575,400” worldwide.

We survived all these. We survived without martial law lite.

Incidentally, those earlier death tolls are worse than they seem because the USA population was much less than now.

Can you even imagine the apoplectic reaction our current leaders and populace would have to an outbreak like the 1957-1958 pandemic today? Hysteria isn’t in it.

Want more evidence panic is official? Fellow names Aaron Ginn published a piece on Medium, “Evidence over hysteria — COVID-19“. Filled with the same kind of thing you get here, but in a lot more colorful detail, and citing all sorts of competent sources. Medium suppressed it. (The link is to an archive.org version.)

My guess is the block is not because the report was inaccurate, which it doesn’t seem to be, but because of the fear of lawyers, which is justifiable. All it would take is some dumb citizen to say they read Ginn’s article, felt hopeful, went outside, and got the virus. The she sues. I, on the other hand, have no fear of lawyers, because I always wear a necklace of pure garlic.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I wonder if any bats or pangolins are going to be uncovered at Zoom's head office at any point? Could turn all of this on its head.

luka

Our own country used to have hardier stock child mortality was about 50% did we sit round crying about it? Did we fuck we didn't shed a single tear, chucked em in the hole covered it over and carried on, right back to work that same afternoon

luka

Mines collapsed, hundreds of the dirty digging men lost oh well, plenty more where they came from

luka

We've become flabby and decadent. A civilisation grown soft round the middle. Meanwhile swarthy immigrants steal our women. They are still virile. They infect us from inside our borders and we are unable and unwilling to resist

luka

Woman whispered in our ear, dripped poison into our open ear, and we too became women eager for comfort and security

luka

Glorious Death parades down the streets of our cities and we cower inside afraid to go and meet him, to defy him, to pit our strength against his

luka

We are no longer forged and tempered by hardship and suffering as our forefathers were but rotten with comfort and convenience

luka

Is this not what happens when man deigns to defer to woman? When the king abdicates his throne?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We've become flabby and decadent. A civilisation grown soft round the middle. Meanwhile swarthy immigrants steal our women. They are still virile. They infect us from inside our borders and we are unable and unwilling to resist

This is a bit of a recurring theme with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.