Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Thing is, people are getting in a froth about what is quite an offhand blog post. He's already written in-depth on this subject and arguably exhausted it for himself long ago. He pretty much laid out his entire position in Energy Flash and in pieces he wrote when the Hardcore Continuum debate flared up again a while back. Since then he just fires off the odd shot in the debate, like that last post he made. I'd recommend that producers and DJs shouldn't read it and just get on with making music.

Pretty much. His stance on this whole matter hasn't really changed, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. This kind of music has loads of alarm bells that turn Reynolds off right away. I also don't really think that the "you haven't heard this stuff in clubs" argument holds much water. While it might not be very professional to make this kind of inference, after you've been in enough clubs you can tell what kind of tunes you'd like to hear in a club versus that one's you typically don't. And to be honest, maybe it's because I haven't been to FWD or Night Slugs or whatever recently, but in clubs over here, the shit is boring to me, so it doesn't seem like much of an outrageous opinion to me. Reynolds is all about pointing out larger overarching narratives and trends, and it seems like he just doesn't think this current one will hold much currency insofar as it applies to either of those things. As to that, time will only tell.

Elijah

Butterz
Came in here looking for music just so you know.

I got Champion - Lighter / Lighter VIP test presses in my bedroom right now if that means anything to anyone.

Anyone else making stuff like that atm?

yh i feel a bit weird coming in here too *if you do not wish your post to be requoted, please notify the operator* not sure if this is what you mean elijah, but there's plenty of 130 junglist stuff around, it was mentioned in the funky thread a couple of months back. greenmoney just released tropical step which is on the boymerang riddim, presume you're maybe looking for unsigned though?
in which case i beg butterz put out babyface jay's brazila :)

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Calling all Dissensus producers

as there's quite a much frustration going against this music, maybe us dissatisfied Dissensian producers should make a little compilation of ruff/rude/jagged/edgy tunes - stuff we'd like to hear. to show how it should be done. and i don't mean tunes should exactly be hard, but they has to have a bit of that edge even if they're light/mellow.

we could upload the compilation in Soundcloud, and put message for djs to take contact if they want to play some stuff. just in case if someone makes something release-worth :)

who's up with this?

mms

sometimes
its just another regrettably twatish post and what we're talking about now is dif from what he's moaned about in the past too - he also edited out any balanced talk to feed his argument, it's more or less unnecessary, but still, alot of the music is crap.

luka

this thread is fun to read. its good to see a lively commited thread. i dont need to contribute becasue my opinions are always very predictable.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Tangential point, but has anyone else noticed the lack of overt jamaican influence on this stuff? Obviously the obvious rootsiness of dubstep's gone, but there's not much dancehall or ragga in there either. Hip hop's a much bigger presence than it has been for a while, too...

FairiesWearBoots

Tangential point, but has anyone else noticed the lack of overt jamaican influence on this stuff? Obviously the obvious rootsiness of dubstep's gone, but there's not much dancehall or ragga in there either. Hip hop's a much bigger presence than it has been for a while, too...

yeah you're right - there is very little reggae/dub sounds with most of it :(

personally, I'm not keen on the slide into some slower R&B/southern hip hop style tracks (recent Oneman sets have had some of this in)

muser

Definitely needs more cutty ranks, maybe that track "limb by limb" would go great with this future garage/post-dubstep/alt-funkstep/intelli-2step/ electro / "?" juke/ rare groove, I think. Or maybe the virtually unplayed and unsung classic that is welcome to jamrock!

wise

bare BARE BONES
Came in here looking for music just so you know.

I got Champion - Lighter / Lighter VIP test presses in my bedroom right now if that means anything to anyone.

Anyone else making stuff like that atm?

Prob better off asking in the Funky thread Elijah

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I didn't mean that as a criticism per se, by the way, just an observation. Continued uncoiling of the twisted threads of the nuum.

But it's not just about the lack of samples of people saying 'jah' - it feels like the structure and the vibe and so on are also about as far from either roots or dancehall as they've ever been...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Also it must be at least twenty minutes since anyone released a tune with that timestretched 'broooockwiiiiide' sample on.

mms

sometimes
I didn't mean that as a criticism per se, by the way, just an observation. Continued uncoiling of the twisted threads of the nuum.

But it's not just about the lack of samples of people saying 'jah' - it feels like the structure and the vibe and so on are also about as far from either roots or dancehall as they've ever been...

funky's got loads of dancehall in though,

i was listening to a chef mix on rinse the other day and he was playing pretty much dancehall dubstep, mainly old coki plates, there was so much crossover in that music with the mordern roots side of things mostly, not really elephant man or whatever, although course early on there was.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A lot of dubstep I listened to in 2006 wasn't strictly reggae/dub influenced (though equally as many of those great tunes were) and didn't use reggae basslines and samples, but pretty much everything had a dub influence in terms of spaciousness of sound, reverb and delay and so on, and a lot of non-reggae sounding stuff had that half-step beat which made it skanking music (I know a lot of people believe dubstep fans have never danced in their lives :p)... I dunno, I sometimes think dubstep lost its potency sometime after the smoking ban - the concentration on a moody, 'dread'-y concentration and stoned swagger went out and extreme, intense mid-range wobble and flat out ravey beats became the mainstream face of the music. I'm over-simplifying of course... But I do wonder if that smoker's vibe (hardly saw ANYONE on pills at the first dubstep nights I went to) did create a certain intense atmosphere, able to tap into positive and negative emotional drift, which you don't get at post-dubstep/dubstep nights so much anymore, more the cocktail of booze, pills, ket etc. that you get at any DNB/Breaks/Electro House night. I'm not trying to glorify a bunch of stoners listening to music btw.

I don't know how much faith to put in analysis of music that emphasizes drug-use - Reynolds does this in 'Energy Flash', of course, and for me it often seems convincing, but I wasn't around at the time. I suppose he fucked up with this method on that ketamine/Wonky piece. Would be quite interesting to know what different producers are on when making beats, personally I find making music stoned a dead end but it must work for a lot of peope.

Sorry gone off on a bit of a tangent here.

daddek

cutty ranks, jamrock
under mi sensi

not sure if srs

anyway i think its healthy for uk rave to take a break from the hackneyed reggae references that its been recycling for so long. They all seem a bit stale at the moment, which is exactly why no one's using them (edit: overstatement, they're just not being heard much in post-dubstep). Personally very much appreciate the modern rap (r&b) influence, it's more far more modernist than a decades old reggae sample (as well as being my favorite form of music), & sounds fresh.
It also ejects a kind of crusty disdain of that stuff that his been hanging over uk rave for too long.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
we're on Rinse tonight from 11, we're only going to play records made of samples of people reading extracts of simon's blog... in Swahili.