10 Kevin Drumm - Necro Accoustic
11 Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi
12 Annette Krebs & Taku Unami - Motobachii
13 Sun Araw - On Patrol
14 Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer
15 Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
16 Joe Colley - Disasters of Self
17 Richard Skelton - Landings
18 Emeralds - Does it Look Like I'm Here?
19 Eleh - Location Momentum
20 Autechre - Oversteps
21 Helena Gough - Mikroklimata
22 Demdike Stare - Liberation Through Hearing
23 Marina Rosenfeld - Plastic Materials
24 Bill Orcutt - Way Down South
25 Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
26 Bellows - Handcut
27 Tilbury/Duch/Davies - Cornelius Cardew: Works 1960-1970
28 Hype Williams - S/T
29 Laurie Anderson - Homeland
30 Konono No 1 - Assume Crash Position
31 Zs - New Slaves
32 Phew - Five Finger Discount
33 Sabbathh Assembly - Restored To One
34 Derek Bailey - More 74
35 Seijaku - Mail From Fushitsua
36 Tyler The Creator - Bastard
37 Moon Wiring Club - A Spare Tabby At The Cat's Wedding
38 Larry Polansky - The World's Largest Melody
39 Alasdair Galbraith - Mass
40 Jailbreak - The Rocker
41 oOoOO - oOoOO
42 Pedestrian Deposit - East Fork/North Fork
43 Group Inerane - Guitars From Agadaz Vol 3
44 Prins Thomas - S/T
45 These New Puritans - Hidden
46 Aldo Clementi - Works With Flutes
47 Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet - Air Supply
48 Joseph Hammer - I Love You, Please Love Me Too
49 Joshua Abrams - Natural Information
50 Grinderman - Grinderman 2

Last edited:

connect_icut

Nice to see two of my particular faves at 1 and 2. Surprised I haven't seen OPN (my album of the year) in more lists. I'm guessing people aren't sure whether it's still cool to like him. Or they just thought Returnal didn't deliver the expected goods.

Leo

i'm listening to the actress album again right now and it's funny...i want to like it, but it hasn't clicked yet (except for "maze", which is great). i keep forcing myself to play it every few days but still don't have it pegged. and maybe that's the sign of a really cool record, one that's not easy to take in. i hope it grows on me.

also funny about that swans album...i used to love them, saw them a bunch of times in the day, bought all their records. yet for some reason, i have absolutely no interest in hearing the new record, not even a quick run thru of snippets on itunes. it's really strange, like it's a chapter of my life i've moved on from and now have no interest in. still a great band, i just don't seem to care anymore.

zhao

there are no accidents
SNDWCD022.jpg

connect_icut

it's really strange, like it's a chapter of my life i've moved on from and now have no interest in. still a great band, i just don't seem to care anymore.

This is something I think about a lot in regard to those indie rock re-unions. Why did I cross the Atlantic to go see My Bloody Valentine but not see the Pixies when they played in Vancouver - two bands I liked pretty much equally back in the day? Why did I go see Sebadoh but not even consider seeing Pavement - two real faves from when I was 18, neither of which I ever saw live.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just gave this a listen. Bit trancey, but I quite like it.

It sounds like Salem making trance with Robert Smith singing. That is an awful thought.

Ha, you changed your original glowing comment this afternoon! I agree, it is a bit trancey, but it somehow transcends that. A great record.

stephenk

The Wire top 50

mm this is my favorite list so far. curious to see what the individual lists look like...going on a flight in a few days, might have to pick the issue up.

i listened to that catherine christer hennix in its entirety today in walking in extremely frigid weather and it was really perfect.

nochexxx

harco pronting
it's a testament to Ariel Pink's greatness that his weakest record has made it onto so many of this years lists.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Been completely out of the loop with music this year, but have really enjoyed listening to and would recommend (no order, apart from the first one, which is easily my most listened to record of the year):

Alasdair Roberts & Friends- Too Long In This Condition
Richard Skelton- Landings
Ras Donald- Mama 10"
Bunny Wailer- Rise and Shine 12".
Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate- Ali & Toumani
Ekoplekz- Volume 2
Shackleton- Fabric 55
Music Line- Repatriation Soon Mix
Oneohtrix Point Never- Returnal
Skywave Systems- A BoC Mix

connect_icut

If I didn't mention this before, the only reason that Richard Skelton album wasn't on my list was that I thought it came out in 2009.

My first real list-based discovery from 2010 is the Forest Swords album, which is exceptional.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Rush Hour best of 2010 mix

Alfabet - Lap The Music
Nebraska - Masala Dosa
Boo Williams - Eternal Mind
Hunee - I Like That
Recloose - MYM 230
Cosmin TRG - Liebe Suende
MRSK - Black Keith
Cosmin TRG - Sores Of Attraction
Tom Trago - Use Me Again
Tom Trago - Lost In The Streets Of NYC (FS Green remix)
Anthony 'Shake' Shakir - Assimilated (FaltyDL remix)
Anthony 'Shake' Shakir - Simpatico
Dexter - Junofest
Mayday - MS 6
Anthony 'Shake' Shakir - The Other One
Urban Tribe - My First Mistake
Nebraska - Ras El Hanout
Cosmin TRG - See Other People
Mandré - M3000 (Felix Dickinson & Nick The Record Edit)

Leo

My first real list-based discovery from 2010 is the Forest Swords album, which is exceptional.

yeah, cool album, love the opening track.

also thinking back to my earlier comment about the actress album...it's kind of like every time i put it on, it's as if i'm hearing it for the first time. does that make any sense? with most records, you know what they're all about after the first couple of spins, but this one is taking a lot longer than most.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Actress - Splazsh
Digital Mystikz - Return II Space
Virgo - Virgo
Shackleton - Fabric CD
Wiley - Avalanche Music
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
Onohtrix Point Never - Returnal
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Darkstar - North
Sun Araw - On Patrol

mms

sometimes
i'm listening to the actress album again right now and it's funny...i want to like it, but it hasn't clicked yet (except for "maze", which is great). i keep forcing myself to play it every few days but still don't have it pegged. and maybe that's the sign of a really cool record, one that's not easy to take in. i hope it grows on me.

its grown on me - i still don't think its monumental but it's great and def an achievement for electronic music in 2010 - alot of the best music this year has been stuff that takes a while to grow on you or you come back to and it clicks - in contrast alot of dance music has been pretty weak this year cos alot of the things that people are repping have a kind of formless fusion of everything about them that comes from trying to make something thats everything, or people have kind of tacked something 'london' onto some really generic music that could have been made any time in the last 10 years, or the reverse.