Top 10 Records of 2010

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I posted this before but I think it got lost in the great server switch-over...

Wasn't there an Autechre album this year? I remember people freaking out about how good it was earlier in the year but I don't think I've seen it in any lists yet.

There were two. The last time I liked an Autechre album was 1995, so I can't really comment on their quality. I gave them both a go.

tom lea

shutterbug wasnt even the best song on big bois album. the remix of shine blockas was the best imo.

yeah but shine blockas already came out last year so wont be in '10 charts.

i like the fact list but then i would. i think people need to check out the teengirl fantasy record if they havent heard it, or at least 'cheaters' and 'dancing in slow motion', both of which are incredible.

our top 100 tracks list is going on this week.

BareBones

wheezy
just checking through some end-of-year lists and albums i've missed... seems like a lot of people wanted to be ariel pink in 2010.

zhao

there are no accidents
new interpretations of the music of Alice Coltrane. featuring members of The Necks and other amazing musicians.

poised perfectly between improvisation and composition, i could say it is gorgeous or exquisite or any number things, but maybe only one word is necessary: the music is ALIVE.

WEB-HMRVR_SQ.jpg

HAMMERIVER
Clare Cooper, concert harp
Chris Abrahams, grand piano
Tobias Delius, tenor saxophone and clarinet
Werner Dafeldecker, double bass
Clayton Thomas, double bass
Christof Kurzmann, lloopp
Tony Buck, drums

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Actually the best song this year was that Newport thing.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

allegiant

Evenly Distributed
LPs
Actress - Splazsh
Shackleton Fabric 55
Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal
ANBB - Mimikry
DJ Roc - The Crack Capone
Darkstar - North
Demdike Stare - Liberation Through Hearing
John Roberts - Glass Eights
The Sight Below - It All Falls Apart
Scuba - Triangulation

12s/EPs
Raime - Raime EP
James Blake - CMYK EP
Ancient Methods - Fifth Method
Ramadanman - Ramadanman EP
CV313 - Subtraktive Remixes
Deadboy - Cash Antics Vol. 1
Girl Unit - Wut
Joy Orbison - BB / Ladywell
Pearson Sound - Blanked / Blue Eyes
Pinch - Croydon House / Elements

Honourable metions
Various - Bangs & Works Vol. 1 (A Chicago Footwork Compilation)
Indignant Senility - Plays Wagner
DMZ - Return II Space
DJ Rashad - Itz Not Rite
Lovesliescrushing - Chorus +3
Murmur - Fume EP
Pantha du Prince - Black Noise
Ramadanman & Appleblim - Void 23
Rockwell - Reverse Engineering

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Actually the best song this year was that Newport thing.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Guangxi Province in China likes this

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
RA top 20 Labels

20)Hot Creations
Wolf & Lamp
Punch Drunk
Swamp 81
Dail
Ninja tune
Ghostly International
Warp
Crosstown rebels
Mu
Honest John
Nonplus
Permanent Vaction
NightSlugs
Hotflush
Hyperdub
Hessle
R&S
Ostgut
1)Rush Hour

I remember when that used to be a minimal techno website.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It looks like FACT magazine excluded any kind of grime from their end-of-year lists (both for albums and for single tracks), unless you consider Guido's album grime. I wasn't really expecting much to show up on the albums list obviously, but I was expecting to at least see Streetfighter Riddim, Spartan, Air Miles, Jack Daniels, Left The Room or something like that represented.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think their tracks list is excellent in the main, but it does seem like a snapshot of various genres rather than an overall top 100. No Wooo riddim that I could find, right?

Last edited:

connect_icut

I'm seeing Demdike Stare crop up on a lot of lists but seeing as they seem to have had three albums out in 2010, I'm a bit confused about which one to go for. Anyone got a strong opinion on this?

grizzleb

I'm seeing Demdike Stare crop up on a lot of lists but seeing as they seem to have had three albums out in 2010, I'm a bit confused about which one to go for. Anyone got a strong opinion on this?
Not a huge fan myself (think they use a bit too much swampy reverb for my tastes) but my mate says that their first album this year is a belter, could go for that one.

what are the rules for year-end-lists for including (or not):
- reissues
- releases of old but unreleased material
- compilations

connect_icut

Not a huge fan myself (think they use a bit too much swampy reverb for my tastes) but my mate says that their first album this year is a belter, could go for that one.

Cheers. I think you're referring to Liberation Through Hearing, which seems to be the one to go for. I'm listening now and enjoying it but I listened to Dagger Paths by Forest Swords beforehand, which does the same aesthetic rather better, I think. Love that Steve Hanley-esque bass sound.

No rules, BTW.

Cheers. I think you're referring to Liberation Through Hearing, which seems to be the one to go for. I'm listening now and enjoying it but I listened to Dagger Paths by Forest Swords beforehand, which does the same aesthetic rather better, I think. Love that Steve Hanley-esque bass sound.

As far as I know Demdike Stare's 2010 LPs will be compiled on 3CD release next year, so if you don't care much about the vinyl, that's probably the one to get.

Records that impressed me a lot this year:
Joe Colley - Disasters of Self (Crippled Intellect Productions)
Olivia Block & Kyle Bruckmann - Teem (either/OAR)
Danny Paul Grody - Fountain (Root Strata)
Helena Gough - Mikroklimata (Entr'acte)
Tomas Korber & Ralf Wehowsky - Walküren am Dornenbaum (Entr'acte)
Jocelyn Robert - Monsonics (Hrönir)
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - Love Is A Stream (Type)
Keith Fullerton Whitman - Disingenuity / Disingenuousness (Pan)
Eric La Casa - Zone sensible 2 / Dundee 2 (Room40)
Thomas Köner - Nunatak/Permafrost/Teimo Reissues (Type)

Not on the list because it's still on it's way to me, but expect it to be fantastic: Graham Lambkin & Jason Lescalleet - Air Supply (Erstwhile)

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm thinking 'Not in Love' by Crystal Castles with Robert Smith could be the record of the year. Bloody unexpectedly perfect, an instant classic (even if it is a cover).

echevarian

babylon sister
Yelawolf - Trunk Muzik (the mixtape)
DJG - Voids 1+2
Lorn - Nothing Else
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Shigeto - Full Circle
Jimmy Edgar - XXX
Wolf and Lamb - Love Someone
Actress - Splazsh
Scuba - Triangulation
Quantec - Thought Experiment