Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hammersmith is the worst place int he entire world. It makes everywhere else mentioned in this thread seem like paradise.

When I get the coach to Oxford to see my girlfriend the sheer soul-raping hideousness of west London beyond Holland Park is almost thrilling. First there's that vast shopping centre at Shepherd's Bush, then the endless drab, ugly 1930s semis, then it gives up the pretence of even being a place where people live and turns into wasteland of self-storage facilities. Oh, and don't forget Heathrow! It's enough to turn anyone into T. S. Eliot for half an hour at a time.

luka

isnt that whn you get to see that nice hoovere building tho? thats compensation (or am i merely confused) and a nice block of flats designd for artists in willima morriss times or something maybe? i used to have a rule that i would only go west london for carnival or if i got paid to, i got jobs in funny places whn i was painting, like ruislip, i didnt even kknow that was a real place till i took that job on, i thought it was just a myth, like a here be monsteres mark on the map

STN

sou'wester
yeah, you do get to see the Hoover Building if you take the coach to Oxford. Always lifts my spirits.

Is it occupied by offices? it looks sort of derelict and sort of not...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, the Hoover building is awesome, fair enough. At night it's all lit up with this unspeakably sinister green light, like Great Cthulhu is working the late shift or something:

hoover_building.jpg

photo60.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
When I get the coach to Oxford to see my girlfriend the sheer soul-raping hideousness of west London beyond Holland Park is almost thrilling. First there's that vast shopping centre at Shepherd's Bush, then the endless drab, ugly 1930s semis, then it gives up the pretence of even being a place where people live and turns into wasteland of self-storage facilities. Oh, and don't forget Heathrow! It's enough to turn anyone into T. S. Eliot for half an hour at a time.

Have you seen Mum and Dad? It's practically a paean to this.

Used to got o the Tescos at the Hoover Buidling. I have fond memories of it.

I hate Shepherd's Bush. But i neevr found that journey too bad to Oxford, tho it probably was.

luka

we had a great buildings of london thread here it was bfore your time probably but maybe you hav seen it. i think it was quite good.

luka

id also like to predict that zhao if made to drink pints at a decent english pace will not be able to keep up and will bcome horribly drunk. the english pint is deceptive. its weak beer but it has a magical effect and has undone many a foreign poseur.

luka

gt the real suppers in on thee action to set a properly hearty pace, stelfox, martin, scott.....

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, Hoover building is still owned by Tesco unfortunately - there is also a nice building next to it which isn't famous. I like that journey to Oxford; all those storage places are really intriguingly creepy, why do so many people in West London have stuff to store that they don't want in their houses? Or is it that that area is known as the place to store stuff and people travel from miles around to take advantage of the facilities? And if the latter why?

Shurgard_Hayes_large.ashx

I'd like to go and store some stuff there one day - I bet it's terrifying inside. Those buildings absolutely reinforce the sense of that place as a totally dead in-between zone.

I like the Westway as well.

westway.jpg

I love watching kids playing football under floodlights as you go over their heads and trying to peer in people's windows plus the unusual views you get of stations and the Harbour Club whatever the fuck that is. Also on that journey you get great views of the Trellick Tower and you can see quite far north because you're raised above everything.

But fuck this West London talk because every dissensian worth their salt lives in East London or, at a pinch, North (but a bit East) London.

luka

ive been in one of those storage places, the big yellow one in bow and it was amazing. much bttr than i thought it would be. mile upon mile of identical corridoors given a monotonous but thrilling rhythm by thousands of identical evenly spaced doors. there is nothing else. so so good.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What's also quite cool as you join the Westway is this weird community under the big flyover, with caravans and kennels and (I think) horses and all these mad sculptures, it's like something from Mad Max.

luka

oh DEFINITELY GET HIM ON THEE ESB! OH GOSH! CARNAGE! except it always takes foreigners roughly three hours to drink a pint thereby ruining your efforts to ruin them.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I am up for this btw. Fuck too far North, what's wrong with bloody Hackney?

I liked the coach ride to Oxford,largely because it meant I was going to Oxford which I love. It's beautiful town, and the air is cleaner.

Hammersmith is indeeed horrible, kind of strangely anti-people. Ilford where I'm from, fucking sucks ass though. Ilford Lane is quite cool, kinda mini-Southall, but a few streets back and it's awful. Long, long empty streets of souless semis where you never see a livng person, apart from the occasional harrassed looking individual rapidly unpacking the fruits of the latest trip to Tesco or B&Q.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Hammersmith is indeeed horrible, kind of strangely anti-people. Ilford where I'm from, fucking sucks ass though. Ilford Lane is quite cool, kinda mini-Southall, but a few streets back and it's awful. Long, long empty streets of souless semis where you never see a livng person, apart from the occasional harrassed looking individual rapidly unpacking the fruits of the latest trip to Tesco or B&Q.

I'm so glad that every job interview I ever had in Hammersmith ended in failure. Temped there and it was like being in Maidstone or somewhere, but strangely worse.