Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Hammersmith is indeeed horrible, kind of strangely anti-people. Ilford where I'm from, fucking sucks ass though. Ilford Lane is quite cool, kinda mini-Southall, but a few streets back and it's awful. Long, long empty streets of souless semis where you never see a livng person, apart from the occasional harrassed looking individual rapidly unpacking the fruits of the latest trip to Tesco or B&Q.
Have you ever been around Erith / Bexleyheath way?

luka

i used to do a bike ride to erith and back from stratford quite a lot, or stop at erith to refuel and keep going to dartford before coming home. erith is a funny place but its by the thames which is something.

luka

i got lost coming home from dartford once and ended up cycling along the a13. i think it was the a13 i dont drive so im not good at the names of roads. it was quite terrifying. then i ended up in dagenham. that was a bit scary too as the sun was starting to go down. luckily i know that area a little bit and got my bearings again and no one threw any bricks at my head or anything. lots of werid stuff happens in dagenham. you dont want to be alone there as the sun goes down.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I spent a lot of my youth in Dagenham. Weird to look back on though at the time I experienced it as boring. Memories of smoking 'teenths in the parks, Dean Kenny fireboming one of the benches, trying to break into the huts, endless bus rides - in later years tagging all the windows. God, it'll all come flooding back. I had a summer job in Fords once, that place is insane. It's like a megacity.

Luka, yeah it would be the A13. You might've encountered this totally bizarre and incongrous piece of public art:

a13-holding-patt-n-119.jpg

Apparently the lights are meant to make it look like the flyover is floating, unsupported, but it doesn't quite work. Really weird thing to run into when you pull out of the estates onto the motorway.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
In the words of Mark Steele, "talking to someone from Swanley and saying "my home town's a bit of a shithole" is like going up to Nelson Mandela and saying "yeah, I've had a bit of trouble with the Old Bill meself, mate.""

alex

Do not read this.
that picture makes it seem a lot better than it actually is. This thread got real local, real fast.

I'm a resident of one of the 'souless semi's' in ilford which are, as you described, just like rows & rows of grey. Mind you Dajehnham is like that in some places. Lodge, Becontree Ave for example, exactly like that, just more racist :p

oh and luca valentines has still got the cafe with the food/sweets in the little compartments, near the swings, jesus that takes me back!

luka

yeah i remember that cafe well. thats good to know. i even remember the toilet hut quite well weirdly.

luka

my mum would take me there. shed get some tea and cake. i suppose i must have had some lemonade or something. later ilfords shopping centr was quite exciting to me. even barkings one i quite enjoyed. youd mostly look at pairs of trainers. mill about. that was good in those days. shopping malls were the latest thing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Great Mark Steel comment. One of the only stand-ups worth going to see.

Went to the Salisbury last night, which apart from bumping into the ex-husband of a girl I used to sleep with right after she broke up with him (he apparently didn't recognise me, through some kind of PTSD memory loss manoeuvre), was very pleasant. Good pub, played 'Hurt', which always gets me smiling.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
So what kinda time we thinking for this next Sunday? Early afternoon (a suggestion betraying my alcoholicness, ahem)

zhao

there are no accidents
haven't had time to look over everything in this thread but i'm sure whatever we (you guys) decide will be nothing short of eye opening... the church looks mad...

i will find out the address of the place i'll be staying friday night, so we can coordinate sunday better. i'll likely be up and about sometime after noon... it's a crazy week, playing both thursday night and friday night, but i should have some life left in me if i don't take too much drugs the nights before.

so who needs guest list for Guanabara friday night? it's going be a "mainstream" Ngoma set LOLOL

idle rich
Baboon
Mr. Sloane
Sufi?
Tea?
who else?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Rich plus one if that's ok. Going there straight off the Eurostar I think cos we get in at ten or thereabouts.

zhao

there are no accidents
no problem as i've just been informed of unlimited space on the list.

also looks like i'll be staying in Hakney... "a 20min bus ride from Bethnal Green tube station". not sure if that's close to where everyone wants to meet?

too bad Luka can't make it...

zhao

there are no accidents
oh yeah love the berlin momus kebobs with panda bear sauce yum!

only thing i request not do is karaoke if that's not a deal breaker for many...