Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

shakahislop

its one thing to say music is dead etc (it is, thats indisputable) and that apps etc are the new thing shaping culture but its harder to say what actually that entails. your homework has to be giving an account of what it means.

a bit hard to talk about coz the consequences are well and truly a multiplicity. instagram has been explained to death coz its a bit old now. the main thing with insta, or probably more accurately a mode of online interaction that insta heralded, being how much it increased the extent to which people's sense of who they are is based on what they look like. particularly what they look like on a phone camera. you can see the repurcussions of that everywhere.

the thing i'd highlight from the tiktok form is the spread of little nuggets of social theory (incorrect and correct). the defining features of tiktok are the frantic speed of all the content and the way what you see is extremely algorithmicly produced, as opposed to eg an older form like facebook where what you see is mostly based on who you decide to follow. it's i guess the main engine / influence on forming political and social subjectivities for people below the age of i don't know maybe 20, in anglo countries anyway. i think the formal aspects of it benefit some kinds of ideas than others.

discord is kind of an unexplored one.

luka

the information people receive thru tik tok or whatever is one thing, like, that can influence people, whatever, and the influence of the app itself is another.

does it matter whether im watching my andrew tate videos on tiktok or on youtube or somewhere else?

i dunno. i dont have a 16 year old girlfriend so you have to explain it to me.

luka

im quite interested in the ways people eg danny l, or biscuits or HMG or whatever, get captured by internet specific fields of discourse and regurgitate the memes and slang and insults and so on. like theyve been captured by a mind parasite

luka

and its easy to see how twitter affected debate and the language people use to make their points and so on

shakahislop

the information people receive thru tik tok or whatever is one thing, like, that can influence people, whatever, and the influence of the app itself is another.

does it matter whether im watching my andrew tate videos on tiktok or on youtube or somewhere else?

i dunno. i dont have a 16 year old girlfriend so you have to explain it to me.
my girlfriend is definitely too old to be on tiktok, i want that to be on the record

i mean it's all part of the much bigger thing of how the internet affects everything. but yeah the structure and constraints of each particular app do i think make a difference to which ideas circulate on them. i do think that these social theory / how to live / political / whatever influencers become huge because of how well their style and ideas mesh with one medium or another.

wild greens

If i can ask a general question, how do you know that the youth of today are being shaped inexorably by tiktok if you aren't running round with them

Is it what traditional media tells you to be true

shakahislop

If i can ask a general question, how do you know that the youth of today are being shaped inexorably by tiktok if you aren't running round with them

Is it what traditional media tells you to be true
i guess i'm around enough people under 30, and see what they write on the internet enough, and i suppose as well i hear people talk about thier what their children are up to enough, to think i can make some sort of caveated judgement. you're right though obviously, it's always hard to know about something like that from the outside.

shakahislop

i suppose the other thing is that i was the right demographic for facebook, for twitter, for insta, for internet forums way before that, for youtube and so on. so you can map those experiences onto tiktok to some extent

version

The Washington Post are claiming books written by an AI are already appearing on Amazon. It's fascinating to see how quickly this all seems to be moving. It's suddenly everywhere, or at least we're told it is.

vimothy

yurp
the internet can be divided into epochs according to underlying tech I reckon: pre search, search, recommender engines, llms

version

This was a cool idea for a thread.

vimothy

yurp
what's interesting to me is the trajectory towards greater automation of culture. the secret truth of artificial intelligence is that it's not the mechanism by which machines become human, but instead humans become machines.