luka

Well the MCU is a sort of federation, with each film having its own directorial leadership, all under the corporate umbrella of Kevin Feige or whoever it is. And a federated system is necessarily comprised of pseudo-independent systems that were, perhaps, once independent. Thus the federated system is a higher order system.
Is it vastly different to a soap opera

constant escape

winter withered, warm
If we take soap opera to mean a story that indefinitely recycles characters and exploits the juiciness of character clashes, then yeah sure MCU fits the bill, just on an exponentially more expensive and cosmic stage.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
And on this scale with this many viewers, the characters can effectively become proxies or avatars for this or that ideological position. Captain america as mildly progressive libertarian patriot vs iron man as mildly progressive totalitarian technocrat globalist. Or whatever.

luka

And on this scale with this many viewers, the characters can effectively become proxies or avatars for this or that ideological position. Captain america as mildly progressive libertarian patriot vs iron man as mildly progressive totalitarian technocrat globalist. Or whatever.
The whole range of permissible ideologies represented as Avengers

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The whole range of permissible ideologies represented as Avengers
Yeah, a sort of watered down notion of putting aside ideological differences to handle this or that pressing issue. Although I'd hardly commend the MCU for being an exemplar of heterodoxy. It has its strengths, but not this.

woops

is not like other people
He's like a negative space whose (lack of) presence still haunts the empty echoing corridors... well, actually quite busy corridors to be honest but that doesn't have the same ring to it.
i've said before it's sad to see the forum's leading visionary prophet reduced to go between

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The MCU can also be considered a monumental milestone in the systematization of spectacle.
With the cast as a sort of pantheon. I'd be deeply surprised, and even disappointed, if there aren;t explicit ideological top-down agendas at play here. CIA or not. Really I have no idea.

It would be a massive missed opportunity for string-pullers. (edit: or psychic ecologists, psychotechnicians, etc)

IdleRich

IdleRich
You could say the same about The Wire or (especially) The Sopranos really couldn't you? I mean they have an ending, or at least they end, so maybe they are more comparable to those Mexican telenovas or whatever they are called but you take my point I'm sure.
It's just that "soap" is seen as a pejorative term because they tend to be rubbish but there is no reason they should have to be.