constant escape

winter withered, warm
And with the success of Guardians, there are now probably hundreds of esoteric comic characters that can realistically score big in terms of revenue.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
What do you mean by EGALITARIAN please
Representation wise. Like having minority/disenfranchised demographics take up center stage. Again, slowly but steadily. Captain Marvel is the strongest character, Black Panther was slated to be the central figure in the MCU, etc. Valkyrie I believe was the first openly queer character.

luka

Oh that yes it makes commercial sense that's why I posted that thing about Chloe Zhao.

luka

and how they always have completely arbitrary jumps from location to location Lagos Seoul Paris

constant escape

winter withered, warm
MCU is important to understand in this case, because it can give the impression, to some, that we are already egalitarian, when really its just the representation becoming more so. Check out the alt-right disinformation campaigns surrounding Captain Marvel and Black Panther. People saying "they don't want white men to see these films, white men will be beaten up" etc.

Like if you're a young white man born into a media climate like the MCU, its easy to be led in this direction.

woops

is not like other people
@IdleRich do you mean trintignant?
then
1610908013301.jpeg
now
30441_v9_bc.jpg

constant escape

winter withered, warm
might watch avengers now just to feel more at home in this thread
Sure, but the primary significance of that film is that it brought together multiple independent franchises. Sorry to regurgitate that standard "but you gotta watch all of em" point, but there is something to it. I mean otherwise Avengers is just an entertainingly flashy film that doesn;t really push the envelope at all.

luka

MCU is important to understand in this case, because it can give the impression, to some, that we are already egalitarian, when really its just the representation becoming more so. Check out the alt-right disinformation campaigns surrounding Captain Marvel and Black Panther. People saying "they don't want white men to see these films, white men will be beaten up" etc.

Like if you're a young white man born into a media climate like the MCU, its easy to be led in this direction.
Barty is always gleefully talking about how there's now less representation in Hollywood because Chinese audiences don't like it. I've no idea if it's true but he loves that factoid

luka

The Avengers is the biggest franchise with the biggest presence in the mass consciousness though so if you only watch one.....

constant escape

winter withered, warm
MCU is a great example of a higher order development emerging from component, lower-order developments. Conceptually parallels the prevailing tendency for systems to conglomerate into higher order systems. And as far as I can tell, MCU is the first time that mainstream media really does this. Aside from the monster film crossovers, which I gather weren;t nearly as influential.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Barty is always gleefully talking about how there's now less representation in Hollywood because Chinese audiences don't like it. I've no idea if it's true but he loves that factoid
Interesting fact.... although it's often misused to mean 'a little fact' or something like, strictly speaking a factoid is something that looks like a fact but which isn't true.
Analagous to cuboid etc

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The Avengers is the biggest franchise with the biggest presence in the mass consciousness though so if you only watch one.....
@woops yeah this is true.

But my point remains, that the primary momentum of the MCU is based on these continued, parasocial relations formed between viewers and characters, like if you've seen the iron man films before avengers.

I mean obviously its a huge time suck to watch all of these now, but my point is that one can't appreciate the fanaticism without playing along, and the fanaticism would be important to understand, if you want to track out how MCU can ideologically influence people. Or provide fodder for libidinally charged fantasies that shape the development of one's persona.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
That's very hard to swallow Stan you have to make that case I reckon.
Well the MCU is a sort of federation, with each film having its own directorial leadership, all under the corporate umbrella of Kevin Feige or whoever it is. And a federated system is necessarily comprised of pseudo-independent systems that were, perhaps, once independent. Thus the federated system is a higher order system.