version

Surkov popped up again recently,

IMG_7038.png
Found the full interview. Awful man,

I ask him if he is shocked by the new level of violence being used by police against protesters this spring. He smiles, and says he has no idea. I recommend he goes to a protest. “Me? Why should I?” he responds with mock affront.

shakahislop

it's not unusual of course, but going on the internet today really is an orgy of people having opinions (and also expressing feelings, which i think i have more time for) about something they have only the flimsiest understanding of. strange how on the internet you get a refracted version of the facts. actually you tend to see the 'takes' before you even hear the facts.

shakahislop

Western media is unbelievably embarrassing. Look at this shit,

it's absurd obviously, and far from the most important thing, but one thing that is going on right now is that western publics (another way of saying that is 'people in england and other people that i know') are having some kind of emotional affect from watching and reading about what's going on. and it is probably quite a new and different phenomenon given the media environment (all the well worn stuff about having videos of everything and the internet and so on). that video of people running when the sirens go off was quite affecting for me.

shakahislop

its almost a bit like a real-time, rolling, more immersive version of those 'donate $10 a month to african children' adverts. occupies some of the same emotional space i think. with an added element of fear, and less of a sense that you can do anything about it

version

facts dont exist, there are only takes. version read this in a Baudrillard book.
"Is any given bombing in Italy the work of leftist extremists, or extreme-right provocation, or a centrist mise-en-scene to discredit all extreme terrorists and to shore up its own failing power, or again, is it a police-inspired scenario and a form of blackmail to public security? All of this is simultaneously true, and the search for proof, indeed the objectivity of the facts does not put an end to this vertigo of interpretation. That is, we are in a logic of simulation, which no longer has anything to do with a logic of facts and an order of reason. Simulation is characterized by a precession of the model, of all the models based on the merest fact - the models come first, their circulation, orbital like that of the bomb, constitutes the genuine magnetic field of the event. The facts no longer have a specific trajectory, they are born at the intersection of models, a single fact can be engendered by all the models at once. This anticipation, this precession, this short circuit, this confusion of the fact with its model (no more divergence of meaning, no more dialectical polarity, no more negative electricity, implosion of antagonistic poles), is what allows each time for all possible interpretations, even the most contradictory - all true, in the sense that their truth is to be exchanged, in the image of the models from which they derive, in a generalized cycle."

Leo

social media is flooded with graphic designers posting the equivalent of "stupid Putin, get out of Ukraine. #stopthewar!!!"

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
No offence, but you just sound extremely confused by all of this.
I may even say totally confused. And I'd say the crux of my confusion is a lack of clarity regarding the nature of NATO and its history with Russia.

Also I'm unclear on what the direct effects, yet alone what 2nd and 3rd degree effects, cutting Russia out of SWIFT would have. And why have previous sanctions ostensibly failed in deterring this kind of "naked" aggression?

• Love
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
"Is any given bombing in Italy the work of leftist extremists, or extreme-right provocation, or a centrist mise-en-scene to discredit all extreme terrorists and to shore up its own failing power, or again, is it a police-inspired scenario and a form of blackmail to public security? All of this is simultaneously true, and the search for proof, indeed the objectivity of the facts does not put an end to this vertigo of interpretation. That is, we are in a logic of simulation, which no longer has anything to do with a logic of facts and an order of reason. Simulation is characterized by a precession of the model, of all the models based on the merest fact - the models come first, their circulation, orbital like that of the bomb, constitutes the genuine magnetic field of the event. The facts no longer have a specific trajectory, they are born at the intersection of models, a single fact can be engendered by all the models at once. This anticipation, this precession, this short circuit, this confusion of the fact with its model (no more divergence of meaning, no more dialectical polarity, no more negative electricity, implosion of antagonistic poles), is what allows each time for all possible interpretations, even the most contradictory - all true, in the sense that their truth is to be exchanged, in the image of the models from which they derive, in a generalized cycle."
So in a way, facts are just commonly-held takes that persist without revision... until they are revised.