thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I also wonder how much this is a new grand narrative or conceptual framework, or an incredible collection of one-offs and exceptions. I only say this, because:

1) you quoted me as positioning this as hcultural statement, but that's because I thought you were making one, not because I knew exactly what it was, and:

2) for example, is that gabba track a one-off piece of extremism, or is the point that there is lots of gabba exactly like this which we all ignore but shouldn't because it's important and fits in with this and that?

yeah there's quite a bit, if you look up flashcore, frenchcore, experimental hardcore and breakcore (pre-2002) there's a lot of weird stuff waiting to be discovered.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Would love nothing more than to get stuck in and listen to this list and then talk about it because while I'm pretty sure there's plenty of music that I like which you probably wouldn't, from what I see you talk about in other threads I think I like pretty much everything you do. You have a knowledge of the underground I only wish I could have. But you grew up with it all happening around you, and yeah sure there are people on here with even deeper, older knowledge, I just think we both lean in a certain direction when it comes to sonic aesthetics, meanings in messages and vibes. Very similar frequencies. I always admire your takes on shit. Partly because you're so abrasive and unapologetic when in the moment of putting your point across, which to me demonstrates a passion, or maybe even a need for music to hit a certain spot in you and I think we share that same thing, even though I don't really show this too much on here. Anyway enough smoke blowing.

Currently I'm in a situ that makes giving dissensus the attention it deserves (and jesus christ have there been some great threads on here lately) has been a bit tough. It's the one forum I know of (I made that 'your regular sites' thread to try and find others) that stimulate me the way this one does. No-one else talks about the shit I'm into at the level of depth and with huge dollops of hilarity to go with it as you cunts on here do. I don't have all the communication skills to keep up, but I like to think I have bits to add here n there. Mostly I just like reading the knowledge and enjoying the lols.

Now what I wanna know is what brought you to your particular perspective on music. If there's even an answer to that. How did you find so many great underground obscurities? Was there a turning point in your life where you discovered one artist who led you in this direction or maybe met some knowledgeable person or what?

Because as I said before, on skimming this thread I see a parallel with my own tastes but somehow you managed to get way down deep to the bones of the matter and idk I guess I'm saying this is the list I wish I had the knowledge to make myself. Wait, I said enough smoke.

Anyway, aside from that, have you ever had experiences with seeing much or any of this shit being played out live? If so, where, who and how was it? I think if I were to dj a semi open minded place in the.near future I'd be pillaging the fuck out of this thread.

I might have more questions later but for now I'll leave it there. I'd definitely like to talk more in this thread.

all very good questions for sure.

hmm let me try and answer them.

Turning points i guess would be jerome hill and warlock and Louise +1 on origin fm when that was still a thing, the distant planet parties, that whole crew really, that's for the oldskool hardcore obscurities. and of course the UK wonky techno like subhead - the plex techno parties which would mix things up. I saw Objekt very early in his career before he became jet setter and he would play a lot of very fast, ruthless electro, all those alien chattering basslines in their own way twisted my head. yeah of course the stuff goes down well in a good basement. for the gabba stuff it's more the fact that me and a few mates (one works at boomkat now) had an abiding interest in extreme electronics which wasn't cliche metal goth wank, so we were listening to xenakis and parmegiani and that in 2013, which obviously dovetailed with some of the weirder end of french hardcore. i guess in terms of artists it was the whole kemet crew staple really, they could mash up chipmunks with ruff b-lines and anything in the kitchen sink, that really made an impression on me. other big turning points would be acen - life and crimes of a ruffneck, the 2nd terminator version of goldie's, not the 1st one. a lot of acid! i got very obsessed with the resonances of the 303, maybe even to a deliterious degree at one point. i am still convinced that like the drone it's the most versatile and cosmic discovery. the autechre tri repetae album was very influential on me also, the first track is basically avant-dancehall though noone will tell you that. I was never all that big on Amber, still think its mainly boring. neptunes and lil jon. lj particularly. that bedouin ascent one on rising high sublabel called sapho, it's like ur meets moving shadow in 93. but yeah foul play open your mind definitely a turning point that bit after the sahara sample where there is this weird gloopy bassline bit is freaky as fuck. i never really went to any of the grime nights at fabric i went to some butterz things at Cable but all that fabric/fire stuff the bouncers would always turn me away if i went alone and i didn't really have any mates when i used to go out in the area, would be a bit fucking awkward constantly asking someone i'd never met on facebook to help me get in wouldn't it. so i always opted for smaller clubs and basements because whilst things might be more kickin in a big venue there was no point being stranded with no way to get the train back when some random ex-con bloke decides you're not coming in because he won't bother with human decency for a couple of minutes to take the time to understand. oh on that note shout out to Christian at corsica from back in the day, top lad, always had a chat with me and would always let me do my own thing occasionally asking if i needed help. safe as.

um. what else: yeah that's it really, i can't really think of anything else! i never even listened to onetrix point never or hype williams or anything like that. I don't know why, it wasn't that i had any opinions on it, it's just that i was happy sticking to hc/jungle! but many people from my generation were into that stuff. in all honesty i still haven't listened to that hypnogogic stuff so I'm not sure what I'm really distilling here lol, i just remember in 2011 there was this kind of neo disco our unis indie dance society loved and it was something like 100% silk maria minerva or something like that, fuck knows, really horrible, 80s pastiche music, awful.

the turkish stuff is basically 70s pop/folk music and not very obscure in the culture.

the craner soul again is just kind of memories of sunday mornings on rinse or whatever. oh yeah, we had a lot of proper house and garage stations around here. house fm still going strong playing lots of lil louie vega and stuff like that. i don't really listen to them really but sometimes it can hit the right spot when i just want something that's more vibes.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

i found barty's ambivalence to terror d quite strange, if anyone tried to shift grime away from dnbs rhythmic template it was him with all his stop-start syncopations and what he called abstracty sounds (funnily enough as a failed dnb producer!)

grime in part emerged from reintroducing dancehall rhythms into garage.

it actually predates garage rap slightly:

then you get it with the garage rap and proto-grime:

version

25) Dalglish - Dasda

off the album OtJohr (highpoint lowlife, 2001)

cytoplasmic ambient. genetic code and protoplasmic sludge vapourising all around you, transmuting itself into tentacled biological lifeforms. ambient as space music this isn't.

There's something really odd about Dalglish, it's like someone cracked open the Autechre egg and the fluids dribbled out into an aural Jackson Pollock.

version

61) Horsepower Productions - Gorgon Sound

Whatever you may think of the later so-called dubstep movement, this tune and in fine style deserve to be evaluated on their own merits. jazzual dub. a rare feet. the dubsteppers were right, this is basic channel meets garage. too bad that the underground dubstep movement after 2009 ended up fetishising Jamaica, long after that island had been hollowed and airbrushed out by the corporations and petty capitalist warlords.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who still rates Horsepower. They seem to have been completely buried and I don't know why. The later stuff is a bit too reliant on the halfstep thing, but they're a universe unto themselves, the records are packed with weird details and they all sound immaculate.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Used to love that tune. It wouldn't be exaggerating to say that Dissensus ruined it for me :crylarf:

forclosure

youll live Corpse, dissensus havent ruined any song for me but its made me exhausted with Migos than the first time around when they were popular on twitter

Theres a chinese spot i go to get lunch down Bounds Green that does half off and out of the tube station theres this Boo hoo poster for a jacket with Quavo and hes got his YRN chain on im sure he thinks he looks sick but to me he just looks all dazed and confused like he doesnt know whats going on.

everytime i see it i sigh and resign myself to the fact that i cant escape it

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
grime in part emerged from reintroducing dancehall rhythms into garage.

it actually predates garage rap slightly:

then you get it with the garage rap and proto-grime:

yes, I know. that doesn't change the fact that those rhythms were introduced in a post-97 2step dnb playing field.

luka

this will never happen for me as i think my dad is an absolute cunt.

I AM THE CULT LEADER.

Yeah look on a realistic level I invented the cult and build the compound but at this stage am i the one dominant personality. Nah, probably not. There's competing visions so go for it son.

Leo

hey third, maybe you already mentioned this (difficult to keep up!) but Joe muggs included your list in his weekly email (https://tinyletter.com/Joemuggs/letters/good-news-boppers-the-big-alert-has-been-called-off):

I'm a sucker for a rave music continuum. Since putting together BASS MIDS TOPS, I've become obsessed with the idea of multiple overlapping continuua as a method for charting history. They can be academic, like the one above (which, yes, has a couple of serious omissions), or incredibly personal like this “infinisexual jihad” playlist from @BigGlitch1 on Twitter who is one of the most interesting commentators on dance music anywhere. Theorising aside, there are 100 tracks here and every one is a stone cold banger. But also this is a life story.

unfortunately, he links only to the youtube playlist and not this thread.

global brand awareness for the infinisexual jihad is growing...

jorge

Amazing list thirdform, I've had a good listen to most of it and I feel like theres loads of threads to unpick in there, lots of jumping of point for future discovery.

The tracks bring the best out of each other when listened together and the more challenging stuff make sense in the context, like a great DJ set.

Also great to challenge the accepted lineage of musical trends, its an important reminder that the official story is often so limited and personal to whose telling it because the way music evolves is so complex. Like somehow Danny ramping and Paul oakenfold invented acid house in ibiza, years after it had been embraced elsewhere in the UK, london-centricity is definitely a culprit there.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah the danny rampling/oakenfold one is revisionism for sure, they were playing all that cafe del mar, peter gabriel tosh, erasure and shit like that.

Colin dale colin faver jazzy m and even fabio, groove and randall were playing the proper psycho acid gear, only for the headstrong! hypes sets from around 89/90 are also the stuff of legend.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
hey third, maybe you already mentioned this (difficult to keep up!) but Joe muggs included your list in his weekly email (https://tinyletter.com/Joemuggs/letters/good-news-boppers-the-big-alert-has-been-called-off):

unfortunately, he links only to the youtube playlist and not this thread.

global brand awareness for the infinisexual jihad is growing...

ha yeah i only linked to the youtube playlist on twitter.

before dumping it there i sent it to an ex-dissensoid (not naming names) and they found the jokes off putting (fair enuf guvner) so i thought better of it. + i have my post count set to the maximum number so this thread is only 12 pages long.