IdleRich

IdleRich
it's rock hard though. stiff. there's no moisture. but somehow a load of grease despite that. if you picked that bit on the right up it would stay in that twisted shape it's in. i don't know why they make it like that.

I'll grant that that doesn't sound good. One thing I'll say is that when I worked for Borders Books I had to go to the head office in Ann Arbour for a week or two to tie up some loose ends relating to them cutting off the British arm to fend for itself (or go tits up as it happened) and we stayed in a hotel nearby. There was a breakfast buffet and I remember one of the many many things on offer was bacon which I think was hard like that but which became more than palatable when drenched in maple syrup. I had that every day and I loved it. Admittedly I came back to London about two stone heavier than when I left...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe 100:70:20:5 ?
This is what I wanted to know, thanks.

Been thinking about this cos recently the Tories have announced that one of the brexit benefits is that we are going to sell loads of lamb to the US (don't ask why we couldn't do that before) and immediately lots pointed out that you lot don't eat much of it. Not cos everyone is dying to get their hands on it but can't, but simply cos it's not popular. So lamb to the US is not going to save the economy after all.

Liza told me that similarly they don't eat it much in Russia and they don't eat it much in Portugal either. And in fact when I've been in Germany it's not common. It sort of slowly sunk in that I'd just assumed that it was something on equal footing to beef and pork everywhere when in fact it really really isn't.

Also Liza says that if you're not used to eating it then it's quite a strong and unusual taste, which again is something that I had not realised - a total failure to understand that my experience is not universal. I do think that you're missing out, it's a taste worth acquiring with somehow a lot more to it than beef I think. Lovely with mint or, strangely enough, anchovies.... oh I'm getting hungry.

wektor

Also Liza says that if you're not used to eating it then it's quite a strong and unusual taste, which again is something that I had not realised - a total failure to understand that my experience is not universal. I do think that you're missing out, it's a taste worth acquiring with somehow a lot more to it than beef I think. Lovely with mint or, strangely enough, anchovies.... oh I'm getting hungry.
first time I had it was probably only a few years ago and I do quite like it. a friend of mine says it reeks of sheep and she cannot stand it, but I think she has an extremely sensitive sense of smell, as opposed to my broken nose.
btw jamaican goat curry is well, tha goat, as the zoomers say

Leo

@sufi Please officially rename this thread to A Breakfast Culture Mafia.

That bacon looks ok, Shaka. see, you can find decent ones here, just need to specify how you want it done. I worked across the street from the former Eisenberg's (that just reopened as S&P) many years ago, they used to fry up a ton of it in the morning and then keep it in a cardboard box under the counter. when you ordered a BLT or bacon cheeseburger, they'd grab a couple of strips from the box and toss them on the grill for a quick reheat...now that was some stiff, dried out bacon. probably also a health code violation.

Last edited: