Mr. Naga Pickle

Rustic gigante & chorizo baked beans, 2 poached eggs and bacon on multi grain toast at Citizens of Soho. A hardy lunch, should have been there.

View attachment 13191

Ew2BcGuWQAQWJgQ.jpg

¡El Día del Padre es un Día McDonald’s para consentirlos!
✨
🍳
Visítanos y celébralo con Desayuno Hondureño + Desayuno Tradicional + 2 Pasteles por L259 Disponible también en Express Llamando al 2276-1770 o descargando la App:
https://bit.ly/3gx1ZIo

IdleRich

IdleRich
Gotta say that the toast is dark, but maybe it was a dark bread to start with - I would have probably sneered a few years ago but since meeting that woman I have realised that there is a lot of good bread that actually could look like that when toasted correctly. So at this stage I am prepared to give the benefit of the doubt.

And, strangely enough, I will here too

bacon in america is appalling. and canada. look at how dry it looks. how stiff. you might as well eat a frazzle

The well-done-ness of bacon is a preference and though that one is right on the edge of acceptable, I will allow it. Sometimes I want it crispy, sometimes soggy, if the meat is good enough either will be acceptable. And anyway, I like frazzles. Although it may be that I'm just desperate for proper bacon after living in Portugal. It's weird that they can't do it here - especially cos pork is, I guess, the number one meat - but I could live with that, what riles me is that they won't just go "we can't do bacon" they'll give you some ham or pork scratchings or something instead and go "here's your bacon" - I'm not fucking stupid mate, I ordered bacon I know what it looks like!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Here's a thing though, something I only just learned, but you don't eat a lot of lamb in the US is that right? I'd always assumed it was a universally popular thing but I'm realising that more and more countries don't eat it, or at least eat it much less than I thought. What's the score in the US? How would you guys rate the relative frequency of beef, pork, lamb and (while we're at it) goat on a standard US menu?

Mr. Naga Pickle

Here's a thing though, something I only just learned, but you don't eat a lot of lamb in the US is that right? I'd always assumed it was a universally popular thing but I'm realising that more and more countries don't eat it, or at least eat it much less than I thought. What's the score in the US? How would you guys rate the relative frequency of beef, pork, lamb and (while we're at it) goat on a standard US menu?
1. BEEF
2. PORK
3. LAMB
4. GOAT

IdleRich

IdleRich
Goat is very uncommon in the UK... or that is to say, you can eat it, but really only in Jamaican or Vietnamese etc restaurants. Same goes for sheep in fact, you get lamb but I don't think I've ever seen a menu that specifically says mutton.

Mr. Naga Pickle

Thanks for the ranking but could you also give a ratio? Sorry to be picky but I want to know if pork is slightly ahead of lamb or does it leave it miles behind?
Lamb is way the fuck behind pork. Americans eat at least 999x as much pork as they do lamb. A lot of folks here never eat it at all. Goat is even rarer. Most non-Asian, African, Caribbean, or Latinx Americans have never seen a goat before, and do not perceive them as an edible animal, even if they have.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's what I'm only just realising. Until relatively recently I would have thought that lamb, pork and beef were on roughly... if not the same but comparable levels, same order of magnitude at least if you get me.

That's kinda what I was trying to say @william_kent with goat and mutton - that you can eat them in the Uk but they're not British dishes, In fact I'd say that they have not even been sort of adopted like, er, I dunno, many curry dishes that have been taken to heart. Am I making sense?

shakahislop

The well-done-ness of bacon is a preference and though that one is right on the edge of acceptable, I will allow it. Sometimes I want it crispy, sometimes soggy, if the meat is good enough either will be acceptable. And anyway, I like frazzles. Although it may be that I'm just desperate for proper bacon after living in Portugal. It's weird that they can't do it here - especially cos pork is, I guess, the number one meat - but I could live with that, what riles me is that they won't just go "we can't do bacon" they'll give you some ham or pork scratchings or something instead and go "here's your bacon" - I'm not fucking stupid mate, I ordered bacon I know what it looks like!
it's rock hard though. stiff. there's no moisture. but somehow a load of grease despite that. if you picked that bit on the right up it would stay in that twisted shape it's in. i don't know why they make it like that.