Corpsey

bandz ahoy
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Despite not being able to tell you apart I really am glad the Americans invaded dissensus

It's like when the GIs came to England during the war and introduced us stiff Tweedy types to rock n roll and coca cola

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Say, you can dance, can't ya doll? Well I'll show ya! Mitch, strike up a toon won't ya?"

*Mitch sits down at the piano and to the landlords chagrin starts playing boogie woogie*

shakahislop

Shaka I've been told many times (though god knows who by) that I'd get laid living in America on account of my British accent alone -- confirm or deny
it probably helps a little bit but i don't think its a golden ticket. absolutely everyone thinks i'm australian for some reason so i don't have personal experience

i think it might be true for the hugh grant accent maybe, but most uk people don't have that obviously

shakahislop

@sufi Please officially rename this thread to A Breakfast Culture Mafia.

That bacon looks ok, Shaka. see, you can find decent ones here, just need to specify how you want it done. I worked across the street from the former Eisenberg's (that just reopened as S&P) many years ago, they used to fry up a ton of it in the morning and then keep it in a cardboard box under the counter. when you ordered a BLT or bacon cheeseburger, they'd grab a couple of strips from the box and toss them on the grill for a quick reheat...now that was some stiff, dried out bacon. probably also a health code violation.
actually as i was eating it i was a bit annoyed because i enjoyed it quite a lot

shakahislop

i went to a listening bar called eavesdrop, i thought it would be good but it was gross, and i think i paid $20 for one drink

the soundsystem was indeed quite nice, but you couldn't hear it because basically the place was just a bar and of course people were talking

the one that briefly existed in LA was amazing, you weren't allowed to speak above a whisper

also like a lot of these fancy places the barman had this slight disdain for us, but then you probably would feel like that anywhere where you made people a drink and they handed over $20 for it, it must be hard to repress

i'm going to turn dissensus into tripadvisor

shakahislop

strangely downtown manhattan feels a lot more democratic and accessible to all kinds of people than the fancy bits of brooklyn do

Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

my drink was:
  • CEDAR RIDGE
    $16
    Scottish Glory Scotch, earl grey, ginger, honey, lemon, Port Askaig float
$18 with the mandatory tip

@luka would you drink this and if so, how many

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sus

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
can you make some pictures of all the trendy places and streets you visit shaka? i really love all these stories and it reads like a soap to me. i feel like i know brooklyn so well even though i was never there.

shakahislop

i read yet another article about dimes square last night. i feel embarrassed walking through it now. there's a coffee shop there which is exactly as you'd expect, and they do make absolutely killer coffee. but i feel awkward going there. something still feels dirty to me about anyone even remotely suspecting that i'm hanging around because of things i read about on the internet. in some ways it feels like the least cool bit of the whole city as a result. i walk down the block to a place run by puerto ricans (i think), where the coffee is pretty bad by nyc standards and the baristette stands outside smoking biftas