IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes thanks for thanks for taking the time mate. Was the sort of thing I wanted to know.

It's a weird thing the late/early distinction, I guess like going East until you get West. The point I'm trying to make if a club finishes at midday then the afterparty will be in the afternoon, a time that even the most traditional of maiden aunts would surely consider entirely acceptable.

I would like to go clubbing properly in NY and check it out. Been there twice, once I guess early 2000s and we went to Twilo... which I remember as just a kinda tame faceless superclub type thing and some night called Body and Soul which was not really my sort of deal. Next time I went to NY was maybe 2009 and was with a friend who is not really into clubbing, plus to be honest it seemed stupid to go and spend any chunk of my holiday doing basically the same stuff I did all the time in London... eg I noticed Chemical Brothers were playing somewhere. Anyway now I feel curious again, if do ever make it over will get stuck into the nightlife I imagine.

snav

The ticket prices are so high so they can avoid embarrassing people at the door. Everyone with a ticket gets in. First come first serve. In Brooklyn at least. You're screwed in Manhattan except at Pyramid Club, which is where middle aged guys go to hit on early 20s NYU girls to 80s music.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

shakahislop

it's all kinds of skimpy little things that you could only wear to a rave, and geezers with their pecs out. it's haloween as well which gives you an idea. walking near my house i saw a door open and ravers going inside, this is at 10am, it just looked like a normal house but there were loud beats coming from inside and when the door swang open there was a bouncer, asking them who invited them. all these big black cars kept pulling up outside and depositing all kinds of people. it looked amazing.

shakahislop

finally got round to watching los sures. its nothing totally spectacular, its a budget documentary but it's nice and short which i always appreciate in a doc, and seeing pre-culture mafia williamsburg in 1984 is obviously interesting.

then made it a double header and watched something i'd never heard of called third avenue: only the strong will survive. really great. the first section is worth it alone, somehow the guy making it managed to convince some lads from a chop shop in i think gowanus to let him come along while they drive around brooklyn stealing cars. actually basically exactly the same thing happens in los sures. there's a section in the bronx which is pretty shocking, these ladies trying to live in apartments which are falling apart, and a rough minute interviewing child prostitutes on 42nd st

there's a thing about the 80s where it's long enough ago now to look like another planet to me, just a totally different way of life.

there's basically no non-middle class (in the UK use of the term) white people in nyc nowadays from what i can tell but they're a presence in these 80s docs

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo

IdleRich

IdleRich
walking near my house i saw a door open and ravers going inside, this is at 10am, it just looked like a normal house but there were loud beats coming from inside and when the door swang open there was a bouncer, asking them who invited them. all these big black cars kept pulling up outside and depositing all kinds of people. it looked amazing.
It sounds amazing. Were you not tempted to try and at least check it out? Do you think you could have entered or was it a forbidden paradise? I would be literally unable to walk past without giving it a go, even if I was on the way to a job interview or a funeral or something.

Could you find it again? I bet they have regular things there.

shakahislop

It sounds amazing. Were you not tempted to try and at least check it out? Do you think you could have entered or was it a forbidden paradise? I would be literally unable to walk past without giving it a go, even if I was on the way to a job interview or a funeral or something.

Could you find it again? I bet they have regular things there.
Yeah honestly, I know this is an overreaction, but it made me start to think about how I could rearrange my life to get into a position where I could be invited to something like that. Knowing nyc there is no way they would have let me in, the bouncer seemed to be checking that you were invited, and I wasn't wearing anything like the right clothes. No chance of getting in. But it probably wouldn't be that hard to get invited to that stuff if you put your mind to it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah there is always a way.... you need to start looking into it, work backwards from what you know. I would have at least spoken to bouncers though. In my head I would at least.

shakahislop

yeah but you're a superstar dj with an international reputation you could just have said 'don't you know who i am' and they'd say 'yes we do please come in and take over the decks, by the way do you happen to have that Paxman State of Mind dubplate, we really want to hear that'

woops

is not like other people
yeah but you're a superstar dj with an international reputation you could just have said 'don't you know who i am' and they'd say 'yes we do please come in and take over the decks, by the way do you happen to have that Paxman State of Mind dubplate, we really want to hear that'
ah! dreams