mixed_biscuits

I'm just going to repost this from now until the end of time on every occasion @Auto-reply: HMG is in 🇬🇷🏖 either simps for his orange nonce-god or says a single damn thing about covid-19/vaccines/masks.

View attachment 16158
I thought Democrat health workers refused to treat people who hadn't got jabbed? Basically they rigged the results. Wonder where I've heard that before?

P.S. I thought you were antivax now anyway.

mixed_biscuits

“The devastating impact [of lockdown] on certain groups of children was clearly predictable,” Longfield said.

And yet, she said, during the pandemic, the government appeared “indifferent to children’s experiences”. “I don’t think you need hindsight to know that if you close schools and open restaurants, it’s not going to be in the best interest of children,” she said.

In The Guardian! I wonder if my prediction has come to pass yet...whether it is now the done thing to bemoan lockdown at bien pensant dinner parties.

mixed_biscuits

Everybody knows someone who's messed up by long Covid but only 3% have taken the booster. Given that we are apparently agreed on how safe and effective it is, what are people's plans on avoiding becoming a long Covid zombie?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think anyone is getting ill to the extent of getting long covid from it any more. We've all got enough immunity now, whether from vaccines, having been infected already or both, and simultaneously all the very virulent variants seem to have died out, so while a load of people I know have had it recently (including my own family, although I tested negative despite having a sniffle), I haven't seen anyone be more sick than the level of a moderately nasty cold.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think anyone is getting ill to the extent of getting long covid from it any more. We've all got enough immunity now, whether from vaccines, having been infected already or both, and simultaneously all the very virulent variants seem to have died out, so while a load of people I know have had it recently (including my own family, although I tested negative despite having a sniffle), I haven't seen anyone be more sick than the level of a moderately nasty cold.
Some poor sods still suffering from Long Sentence, however.

droid

Yeah, that's not true at all. People are still dying and becoming disabled, and mildness of acute infection is no guarantee against long covid. I spoke to someone last week who has severe neurological symptoms after an infection in August.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, that's not true at all. People are still dying and becoming disabled, and mildness of acute infection is no guarantee against long covid. I spoke to someone last week who has severe neurological symptoms after an infection in August.
OK, well I stand corrected if some people are still getting it badly enough to have symptoms months later. Over here, the ONS has stopped publishing statistics on infections and deaths, and on worldometers.info the most recent data for deaths in the UK is from September. But the rate was down to a handful of people per day. That's probably an order of magnitude lower than the death rate from ordinary flu.

droid

lol, yeah, they stopped testing people and they stopped reporting deaths and infections, that's why the numbers are low. Trump was right about that, no tests/no problem.

Most countries have stopped reporting to the WHO as well, to the point where entire regions were reporting 0 deaths over entire seasons. Between 1.7 and 4.4 million people died in China between Nov-Jan 22/23 and it was barely even mentioned in the press and excess deaths have remained stubbornly high in most countries despite the changing 5 year baseline. Even Covid doves like Osterholm acknowledge that the reporting is completely unreliable.

But I will stress, severity of initial infection does not equal chances of long covid. There's a ton of studies showing this. You can get asymptomatic covid and end up with a life changing illness months later as a result, or a stroke or heart attack. This is a big part of why so many young people have been dying. Covid is about 20 times as dangerous as the flu.

Deaths among young Americans documented in employee life insurance claims should alone set off alarms. Among working people 35 to 44 years old, a stunning 34% more died than expected in the last quarter of 2022, with above-average rates in other working-age groups, too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
lol, yeah, they stopped testing people and they stopped reporting deaths and infections, that's why the numbers are low. Trump was right about that, no tests/no problem.
No, I'm saying the official reporting of deaths has stopped subsequent to death rates falling to the lowest levels seen since the two lockdown periods. You can still get tests, if you want them - I took one the other day. That situation hasn't changed in the last couple of years.

droid

They stopped covid testing in hospitals on admission in the UK last Autumn, many hospitals and doctors dont even bother to test even when patients are symptomatic. Rapid tests are unreliable, as Im sure you know, and are most people dont bother with them anyway.

Since last July 22, 50,000 people have died in the UK from covid, and according to the British Heart Foundation since 2020 there have been 100,000 excess cardiac deaths. I think this week was the first week since 2020 that UK excess deaths are 0, and thats confounded by the shifting 5 year baseline.

mixed_biscuits

I think it must be a psychological bias that a problem is expected to have a like solution: in this case a large unprecedented expensive Covid problem can only have a large unprecedented expensive solution, whereas in fact a more than satisfactory solution could have been cheap, easy to implement and very much precedented.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They stopped covid testing in hospitals on admission in the UK last Autumn, many hospitals and doctors dont even bother to test even when patients are symptomatic. Rapid tests are unreliable, as Im sure you know, and are most people dont bother with them anyway.
But, for the third time, the drop-off in the death rate that I'm talking about is recent - much more recent than last autumn, so a cessation of hospital testing at that time can't explain it. In fact it's happened since the summer just gone. The forum won't let me post the screenshot for some reason, but you can see for yourself.

They're giving a bit over 30,000 covid deaths in the UK since the start of June 2022. But 28,000 of them occurred in the 12 months up to the start of June this year. If that trend had continued, you'd expect nearly 12,000 covid deaths in the five months since then, whereas the true (or at least recorded) number is under 3,000.

So there has been a step change in the death rate, but it can't have been caused by any change in policy on testing or recording that happened a year ago, because it was much more recent than that.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Since last July 22, 50,000 people have died in the UK from covid, and according to the British Heart Foundation since 2020 there have been 100,000 excess cardiac deaths. I think this week was the first week since 2020 that UK excess deaths are 0, and thats confounded by the shifting 5 year baseline.

did a shift today which entailed a respiratory depression tutorial in a nearby hospital, walked in on a team in complete meltdown because staff who come down with Covid symptoms but “feel ok to work should come to work”, except it’s a respiratory unit treating acute long term and palliative care patients

their death rate is massively up, management attempted to dismiss a band 8 matron of 40 years service when she started questioning the drop off in testing entirely, it’s knock on effects with patient mortality/patient health and staff health in general (highest number of individual Covid infections by frontline staff in this dept is 8 ffs, viral load heavy environs) and the absurdity of how cheap and easy testing is to complete with in-patient care

NHS is falling apart, huge budgets go to agency personnel recruited by pvt companies, privatisation by drip drip supply x off the chart demand - if a respiratory team can’t prevent preventable deaths what is oncology really like or general surgery or other key realms of services which were fucked prior to Covid

farce, we’re wide open, the new normal