slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The Last Picture Show - and I feel like the last person to see this classic, but it's been on the Must See list for so long that it got forgotten until recently - and what a film it is - not only for Cybill Shepherd's strip-on-the-diving-board scene, not for that at all, but the whole cast, script, direction, mood - and some of the best sex scenes ever filmed, but not for the usual reasons of lechery, but poignant, tragic sadness, not least the desperate loneliness of the 'older woman' - love lost...material aspiration & teenage frustration - absolutely brilliant.

viktorvaughn

The Last Picture Show - and I feel like the last person to see this classic, but it's been on the Must See list for so long that it got forgotten until recently - and what a film it is - not only for Cybill Shepherd's strip-on-the-diving-board scene, not for that at all, but the whole cast, script, direction, mood - and some of the best sex scenes ever filmed, but not for the usual reasons of lechery, but poignant, tragic sadness, not least the desperate loneliness of the 'older woman' - love lost...material aspiration & teenage frustration - absolutely brilliant.

I love when you finally get around to watching a classic and it lives up to its reputation. I had the same experience with Paris, Texas.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Ugetsu by Kenji Mizoguchi. I can't recommend it more highly. Utterly brilliant film. Buy it now.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugetsu

I watched this last night. It's entirely possibly I stuck it on my Lovefilm lst after seeing your post. I totally agree.

For anyone who enjoys Kurosawa, I think this is a must. I just love the detailed sets, costumes eetc. I deliberately didn't read about it first so was not expecting the

S
P
o

I
L
E
R

.. supernatural elements. The doublebluff ending disappointed me at first - 'cos I thought it was "real" and that didnt' fit the mood. Wonderful stuff.

Also, am I the only person with a mancrush on Tony Rayns? Just for his excellent commentaries?

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, I agree with that. Loved Woody's performance, but the editing was mannered and fussy and allowed the film to drift nowhere. In a way, the whole thing felt incomplete, inconclusive and obtuse, which I'm guessing was partly the point -- but, so what? I can see why Harrelson felt let down by the producer and director -- they squandered a seering character role with presumptious, empty tricks. (Of course, I don't mind it when Italian hacks do this in the 1970s, but there you go.)

viktorvaughn

Yeah, I agree with that. Loved Woody's performance, but the editing was mannered and fussy and allowed the film to drift nowhere. In a way, the whole thing felt incomplete, inconclusive and obtuse, which I'm guessing was partly the point -- but, so what? I can see why Harrelson felt let down by the producer and director -- they squandered a seering character role with presumptious, empty tricks. (Of course, I don't mind it when Italian hacks do this in the 1970s, but there you go.)

interesting, i didn't know he was pissed off with producer and director.

i thought the old bent copper was a very hackneyed character and also not a great performance and the woman he was shagging was a bit superfluous - like 'oh there has to be a woman in there somewhere, lets draw one in' and then it wasn't convincing. also the two women at home seemed a bit right-headed to have not kicked out such a massive nutter after like 15 years..

also the club scene (like most club scenes in films/tv) was a bit shit and kind of cheesy. the scene of him stuffing his face then being sick was excellent tho, i loved the two faces of him - one hand super confident and kind of holding it together and then the other side wandering around, taking pills, drinking and falling apart but not admitting it too anyone properly - bit like Shame (think someone noted this elsewhere - not my orig thought).

it did have that very inclusive feel and sudden end but i didn't mind that in itself.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Came across this by hazard. Some guy tried to recreate some of the scene's from Ghost In The Shell and it worked out pretty good IMO. Very cool to see the GITS Hong Kong versus contemporary Hong Kong. GITS is one of my all time favourites and I've always been impressed by those slow motion shots of these double deckers buses coming from around the corner. Some time ago I was watching The Sparrow by Johnny To (also highly recommended) and noticed some of the scene's are very reminiscent of GITS, see for example this vid around 0:40 (skip the rest cause it would spoil your viewing experience watching this clip completely).

Live action GITS:

Double decker bus scene in The Sparrow (0:40):

slowtrain

we just watched the doom generation and nowhere and they are both amazing films two of my all time favourites

hesher was also incredibly amazing

Phaedo

saw "We Need To Talk About Kevin" last weekend. blimey, best new film i have seen in ages. really well acted, some amazing shots and attention to detail too. if you dont know what happens i recommend not finding out too.

i have watched "Milk", "Of Gods of Men" and "Chinatown" recently too. enjoyed them all

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Saw"We Need To Talk About Kevin" last weekend. blimey, best new film i have seen in ages. really well acted, some amazing shots and attention to detail too. if you dont know what happens i recommend not finding out too."
I saw that the same week as Shame and it left me with roughly the same feelings - great acting from the main character, beautifully shot, nothing else good about it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Margin Call was ok, well acted, nice to see Demi Moore once more, and I like watching Paul Bettany let loose, although I felt two things:

1) It was like watching a stage play on a cinema screen which I find very irritating, with only a few exceptions (Night of the Iguana, Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple).

2) It looked very flat and visually uninteresting, the very opposite of Rampart, which was almost too rich and over-edited. I think there is a lot of cinematic potential in banking, but it ought to look glossy and expensive, even when the topic is grubby and ruinous. My ideal would be a cross between Michael Clayton and Working Girl. Or a High Finance Network.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
we just watched the doom generation and nowhere and they are both amazing films two of my all time favourites

excellent - presume you've seen some of Araki's others too? Amazingly, they had a season devoted to him at the Ritzy cinema in London last year.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Margin Call was ok, well acted, nice to see Demi Moore once more, and I like watching Paul Bettany let loose, although I felt two things:
1) It was like watching a stage play on a cinema screen which I find very irritating, with only a few exceptions (Night of the Iguana, Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple).
2) It looked very flat and visually uninteresting, the very opposite of Rampart, which was almost too rich and over-edited. I think there is a lot of cinematic potential in banking, but it ought to look glossy and expensive, even when the topic is grubby and ruinous. My ideal would be a cross between Michael Clayton and Working Girl. Or a High Finance Network."
I'm imagining/hoping it's like Glengarry Glen Ross. I think that's a play that's adapted.

"excellent - presume you've seen some of Araki's others too? Amazingly, they had a season devoted to him at the Ritzy cinema in London last year."
Is that the guy who did Kaboom recently? That was silly fun.

rubberdingyrapids

kaboom is great.

i saw rampart. harrelson was really good but i felt it went nowhere really. some good funny moments, good character stuff, i almost thought he was going to do something creepy with his daughter at one point, so his character had lots of stuff going on, but as a whole, it didnt add up to enough. see also: shame, martha mary whatever. and after reading so much about how he was this despicable character, i didnt actually think he was despicable enough.

id like to see rampart on a double bill with herzogs bad lieutenant.