linebaugh

I really went off the Coens a few years back. There was a point where they suddenly became really grating and I couldn't stand the tone and humour. The only ones I'd bother watching now are the ones where they spend less time trying to be funny, like No Country for Old Men and Miller's Crossing. I still like those two.
Have you seen blood simple?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Love the Coen Brothers, PTA, and Lanthimos, there are several films from each of them I enjoy. But yeah I can also see how the Coens' tone can be grating, that if you don't like it there is a whole lot of it not to like. PTA I'd say is probably the best filmmaker of this group, but even there I can understand why someone wouldn't like it, can't quite put my finger on it though.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Maybe some find PTA overly stylized? I haven't read Inherent Vice, so I can't speak to what degree of liberty he took in adapted that, but the film itself is dizzying in its narrative and maximalist in style (which, from what I've read of Pynchon, tracks).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Wes Anderson also bad.
This I understand a bit more than the Coen/PTA complaints. I adore some of Wes Anderson's films, but almostly exclusively for reasons of style and composition and other superficial aspects (at least, superficial in how Wes Anderson usually seems to use them).

One of the main reasons I love Wes Anderson movies is that I love so many of the character actors he puts in them, and they do seem to be having fun with their characters (which admittedly don't seem to have much interiority, especially the females usually, beyond his usual character type of detached/cynical/ironic/savant types).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I view stuff like Grand Budapest as an ornately composed tapestry of caricatures, which leaves some to be desired in terms of character depth and development, but is gorgeous to behold and a hell of a lot of fun (again, if you like those character actors and the general tone of Wes Anderson characters).

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Boogie Nights is similar there, as an ensemble tapestry, but just with slightly better characters and performances, in my opinion.

There is also this (distinctly american, I gather) quality of these movies (PTA, Wes, Coen, Tarantino, etc) which are self-aware in how cinematic they are, and perhaps that is what people take issue with?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
There is also this (distinctly american, I gather) quality of these movies (PTA, Wes, Coen, Tarantino, etc) which are self-aware in how cinematic they are, and perhaps that is what people take issue with?
Its interesting in that all these guys seem like early drivers of the contemporary American indie film trend, with their first films in the early 90's alongside other (now big) names like Kevin Smith, Linklater, etc. Maybe Jim Jarmusch too, if you'd consider his american-emigre style in this vein.

Think Slacker, Hard Eight, Bottle Rocket, Reservoir Dogs, Blood Simple, Clerks, etc. - is all that the start of what folks here are complaining about, in that they're independent-minded quirky things that eventually came to define more of a mainstream cinematic status quo (i.e. gave occasion to the whole A24 wave), but in such a way that their initial refreshing qualities now seem grating or affected?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Would be interesting to track the development of this from the easy-rider-raging-bull stuff to what we now call indie cinema.

version

is suspiria good or is it one of craners sicko fetish films?

The original is both good and one of Craner's sicko films. An Italian classic. Look at the colours!

Suspiria-048-1.jpg