crackerjack

Mickey One (Arthur Penn, 1965)

Jazzy, expressionistic experimental quasi-noir starring Warren Beatty as a paranoiac comic who may or may not owe a faustian debt to shadowy mafiosi. Unfolds with dreamy, oppressive illogic, recalling latterday Lynch as much as Boorman's narrative sleight of hand in Point Blank. Genuine cult status, one of the major US films of its period

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059447/

this sounds ace, esecially since imdb say it will appeal to fans of Sister Act.

After weeks of very nondescript movies i played safe and finally watched Cul-De-Sac and Fat City, two very different flicks I've been meaning to see for years. Both lived up. Fat City stars Stacey Keach as washed up boxer trying to rekindle his career and Jeff Bridges as the kid he hopes to mentor, but man of the match is Nicholas Colasanto, aka Coach from Cheers.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
psychic.jpg

crackerjack

So is it really more than two weeks since anyone's seen a good film? Permit me to give this thread a bit of MTM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001023/

Caught this last week and it's brilliant, really dour and methodical. First time I've seen a Cassavetes flick and now I've got Opening Night waiting for me too. Anything else of his worth seeing?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"So is it really more than two weeks since anyone's seen a good film? Permit me to give this thread a bit of MTM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001023/"
Which film is that - I'm just getting a link to Cassavetes.
I got Shadows out of the video library the other day but when I got home they'd given me some Woody Allen film with a similar title (Shadows and Fog?) by mistake.
Possession was a good film I saw recently, been talking about it in the psych films thread.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"anyone seen the sequel or read the book? definitely intrigued"
What, Robinson In Space or Rentaghost The Revenge? It's more of the same basically, personally I enjoyed the first one more because I recognise a lot more of the places and it felt a lot more personally related to me but if you like the first one you should definitely check the second. I haven't read the book, nor have I seen the other film he made in the late nineties or whenever it was.
I guess you've seen Sans Soleil but if not that's a very similar film.

I forgot to mention that I watched a good film called The Bedroom the other day. It's a Japanese film directed by a guy called Sato (I think) that is basically quite a dark study of loneliness and alienation. The story is based on this woman who attends a sex club where the women (it's not clear whether they are paid) go and take a drug that knocks them out leaving them to be manhandled and raped by perverts who presumably pay for the privilege. The photography in some of these scenes is amazing with these luminous colours glowing strongly in the sinister bare black room. Anyway, the woman that the film focuses on is married to a man who basically ignores her, and she has another lover who seems strangely distant. Possibly as some kind of attempt at actual contact she ceases taking the drug in the club and merely pretends to be asleep as the attendees grease her up and rub their gas masks on her body.
There is a load of stuff about cameras watching people and some stuff with the main character and her lover both filming each other and rubbing their camera lenses together as some kind of alienated sex thing I guess. Also some people start dying and it gets a bit confusing (she keeps climbing in the fridge) - possibly because of the drug which may have some hallucianatory properties and is implicated in the death of the lead's sister who is seen in the first scene naked and wrapped entirely in clingfilm after an apparent suicide. The ending is pretty neat in fact and adds up to making most of what has gone before make sense.

mesh

Amateur
Not a new film, and one that I've scene numerous times before. But i watched Hammer's Quatermass and the Pit again last night and, as the thread title suggests, I can't recommend it enough.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
So is it really more than two weeks since anyone's seen a good film? Permit me to give this thread a bit of MTM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001023/

Caught this last week and it's brilliant, really dour and methodical. First time I've seen a Cassavetes flick and now I've got Opening Night waiting for me too. Anything else of his worth seeing?

Most, I'd say, especially 'Shadows' as a seminal early 'indie improv' street film - the antithesis of big production slick Hollywood style - a kind of hip alternative to 'Rebel Without A Cause' - maybe.

Recently watched 'Stalker' and was amazed by the visual style - great, bleak, Soviet-era philisophical musings on Life and everything. Now cursing myself for being so slow catching up with this.

Otherwise, 'The Blue Dahlia' with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake exchanging some classic Chandler dialogue - and 'Asphalt Jungle'...brilliant final scene with Sterling Hayden and his beloved horses.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Otherwise, 'The Blue Dahlia' with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake exchanging some classic Chandler dialogue - and 'Asphalt Jungle'...brilliant final scene with Sterling Hayden and his beloved horses."
I remember being greatly disappointed by the Blue Dahlia, good start but seemed to go off the boil and then everything worked out so neatly it was basically a cop out.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I can't be disappointed with Veronica Lake and a Chandler script! Know what you mean about the ending - a crazy resolution, agreed. It has many good things, still, especially the line Ladd comes up with to Lake when they part for the first time once she's given him a lift - pure Chandler. Doris Dowling puts in a superb performance too.

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Wonderful and gorgeous. A gobful of sweets / warm hug / afternoon nap of a film.

Twin Peaks : Fire Walk With Me

Over-emphasis on the supernatural aside, this is one of the best films I've seen: horrific, beautiful and incredibly moving.

Also, In A Lonely Place. One of the few Noirs which have substance and style in equal measure (i.e. not just exercises in wisecracking and the use of light and shadow - stories that feel like they could happen)

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I can't resist wisecracking and dramatic light and shade...with violence, I mean, isn't that all a noir fan wants? I don't care that what happens probably wouldn't happen in real life. Once you start looking at film this way, you can dismiss 99% as 'unreal' from the fight scenes to the practicalities of actually following someone. Bizarrely, though, someone as gorgeous a Bacall did really fall for a man who looked like Bogart. ;)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Also, In A Lonely Place. One of the few Noirs which have substance and style in equal measure (i.e. not just exercises in wisecracking and the use of light and shadow - stories that feel like they could happen)"
Maybe it's not really a noir though. Could be wrong but although it's got a lot of the motifs (hard drinking, fatalish-femme, Bogey, suspicious deaths) it doesn't seem to fit the bill perfectly to me. Not criticising the film though obviously.

"I can't resist wisecracking and dramatic light and shade...with violence, I mean, isn't that all a noir fan wants?"
Pretty much. Got one called the Glass Key to watch at the weekend I hope - supposed to be good no?

"Bizarrely, though, someone as gorgeous a Bacall did really fall for a man who looked like Bogart."
Bit mean, he may not have been conventionally handsome but he had something didn't he?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Bit mean...true...but hardly 'handsome' in the classic sense, was he? Would she have fallen for him if he didn't have his screen persona/status? Anyway, when it came to the question of whether to 'have' or 'have not', they chose the former.

I haven't seen 'The Glass Key' but it's in a collection I've just bought. Still a fair number of noir that I've yet to catch up with.