Corpsey

bandz ahoy
No, and I often think mark would have LOATHED me, but I like to think I've redeemed myself slightly by having Martin do a top 100

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
No, and I often think mark would have LOATHED me, but I like to think I've redeemed myself slightly by having Martin do a top 100
I get the impression he loathed most things. So don't go thinking you're anything special.

luka

otherwise the k thing was just an obsession of k-punks.

The term k-punk came out of Ccru. ‘k’ was used as a libidinally preferable substitution for the California/ Wired captured ‘cyber’ (the word cybernetics having its origins in the Greek, Kuber). Ccru understood cyberpunk not as a (once trendy) literary genre, but as a distributive cultural tendency facilitated by new technologies. In the same way, ‘punk’ doesn’t designate a particular musical genre, but a confluence outside legitimate(d) space: fanzines were more significant than the music in that they allowed and produced a whole other mode of contagious activity which destroyed the need for centralized control.

luka

• oliver Says:

It’s one of the best films ever made; I’ve been meaning to write about it for ages, but I don’t need to now. I’m working on the Cold War at the moment, though. There was this thing about Ronald Reagan, in 1983, after his administration poured all this money into defence, intensified the arms race, and led the world to the brink of nuclear war for the first time since the 60s (well, the mid-70s, but that’s a different thing, Kissinger playing power politics with DEFCON 3 while Nixon was losing control of his faculties), the penny finally dropped, for a number of reasons, but one reason was this:
    A film called The Day After, which was like the American version of Threads, but written from a schamltzy Waltons perspective (children crying “I love you, mom” as the mushroom cloud rises, that sort of thing) – it terrified Reagan, and most of America, and pretty much altered the whole tone of his Cold War administration thereafter (hence the START treaties, Star Wars and everything).
    Anyway, there’ll be lots about this cheerful subject at Citta Violenta soon!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
no that was just an impersonation of americans thats how they pronounce it
I don't see how it would be pronounced any differently, though. The US pronunciation would be "Uh-ræk" or something like that.

luka

have you never heard an american say it? Eye-Rack. that's what they were taking the piss out of.
we prounce both syllables differently. more like Irr-Rark

craner

Beast of Burden
  • oliver Says:

It’s one of the best films ever made; I’ve been meaning to write about it for ages, but I don’t need to now. I’m working on the Cold War at the moment, though. There was this thing about Ronald Reagan, in 1983, after his administration poured all this money into defence, intensified the arms race, and led the world to the brink of nuclear war for the first time since the 60s (well, the mid-70s, but that’s a different thing, Kissinger playing power politics with DEFCON 3 while Nixon was losing control of his faculties), the penny finally dropped, for a number of reasons, but one reason was this:
    A film called The Day After, which was like the American version of Threads, but written from a schamltzy Waltons perspective (children crying “I love you, mom” as the mushroom cloud rises, that sort of thing) – it terrified Reagan, and most of America, and pretty much altered the whole tone of his Cold War administration thereafter (hence the START treaties, Star Wars and everything).
    Anyway, there’ll be lots about this cheerful subject at Citta Violenta soon!

What a young imp!

craner

Beast of Burden
I like the way I pompously describe myself as “working on” the Cold War here. This actually meant reading a few books while at work and then coming home and writing blog posts through a blurry haze of £3 bottles of K-Stores wine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
have you never heard an american say it? Eye-Rack. that's what they were taking the piss out of.
we prounce both syllables differently. more like Irr-Rark
Oh yeah, they do, don't they? I'd forgotten about that. Ridiculous people (no disrespect intended to our esteemed Dudes, of course).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like the way I pompously describe myself as “working on” the Cold War here. This actually meant reading a few books while at work and then coming home and writing blog posts through a blurry haze of £3 bottles of K-Stores wine.
Was this while you and Rich were working in diametrically opposite bookshops but somehow managed never to cross paths?