Clothes

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, I don't *care* that they dress like that - after all, no-one's forcing me to do the same - it just seems that 'trendy' dressing these days involves looking more ridiculous than it has for some time. Girls in God-awful 80s-style pink leggings/peacock-blue dress combos, boys in those spray-on jeans you have to wear to show how fashionably emaciated you are, daft little hats - it's all a little too 'ironic' for my liking.

swears

preppy-kei
I'm going down to London next month, I'll let you know how many men I see swanning around in tights.

N

nomadologist

Oh, I don't *care* that they dress like that - after all, no-one's forcing me to do the same - it just seems that 'trendy' dressing these days involves looking more ridiculous than it has for some time. Girls in God-awful 80s-style pink leggings/peacock-blue dress combos, boys in those spray-on jeans you have to wear to show how fashionably emaciated you are, daft little hats - it's all a little too 'ironic' for my liking.

Yeah but all the people who get mad about the tight clothes are always older people who probably wore tight clothes when they were young. My dad will laugh about tight clothes sometimes--mostly because he couldn't wear them anymore--and then I have to direct his attention to pictures of himself in the 70s with pants so tight I wonder how he moved or breathed. My boyfriend is intensely thin and he's just going to look thin no matter what he wears. It's not always about trying to look emaciated.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Yeah but all the people who get mad about the tight clothes are always older people who probably wore tight clothes when they were young.

Always? Fiddlesticks. ‘Get mad’ is too strong a phrase, but what people, in my experience, find amusing/dorky/thought-provoking is haggard (indie-)rock guys with bollocks-crushing tight jeans, not tight clothes in general.

swears

preppy-kei
I like skinny ties, tight fits, thin lapels and drainpipes, narrow clothing is good 'cause it looks smart. All these guys need half the time is a nice neat haircut.

zhao

there are no accidents
but another thing about looking smart or good is that sometimes I see crowds of people that I despise that all look trendy.

for instance the new clue-less hipster 30 somethings that would have been yelling at the TV in a sports-bar 5 years ago, looking like the yuppie dorks that they are, but now are in some newly opened "art-gallery" showing "graf inspired pieces" drinking wine, wearing hip clothes.

the thought of ever, EVER being mistaken for one of these pieces of shit gives me the fucking creeps. and is almost enough for me to burn all my designer clothes and start doing the bum thing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hahaha. The nearest thing I own to a piece of 'designer' clothes is a pair of Levis I bought on special offer. I don't look down on skinny clothes because I 'used to be young and thin', as I'm still both (26/160lbs-6'2'"). I just don't think it makes for a flattering or attractive-looking look.

DJ PIMP

Picked up last seasons trovata peacoat for half price, so thats me sussed for winter.

has done amazing things to my wardrobe...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Britney

_42584825_britneyspears_grab203b.jpg

Manson Girls

manson_girls_shaved.jpg

Pleeeeeeeeeeease let her get a swastika tattoo on her forehead next. Pleeeeeeeeeeease.

Guybrush

Dittohead
And so it’s blooming spring again!

These ...

3984pkl6.jpg

With this ...

765k7kw7.jpg

My two clothing pet hates at the moment are 1) tee-shirts with stupid pseudo-retro shit printed on them - NO YOU WERE NOT A LONG BEACH LIFEGUARD IN 1972, so stop pretending to be one! ...

:eek:

And these ...

htr8g334ep3.jpg

Could work, eh? :cool:

Pulchritude

Oh, I love clothes. My majorly dented overdraft will prove this. I don't buy expensive designer clothes, or anything; I find them dull and certainly not worth the money. I just buy too much, too often. I've been recently buying nice summery dresses. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't provided me with many opportunities to wear them.

luka

bootleg is awful craner, makes you look like a girl. got to be slim and straight.

zhao

there are no accidents
feeling those shoes guybrush. you can find the same kind of summery striped polo with better pattern and better colors (and without the embroidery!!!) - i have a boss one that is ace. and IMO trousers would be much better tighter.

spring lines are astoundingly boring and uninspired all across the board (bored). but a few workable outfits:
00110m.jpg
00020m.jpg
00110m.jpg
00040m.jpg
00130m.jpg
00060m.jpg
00120m.jpg
00320m.jpg
00030m.jpg

will 2008 be the year i start rocking the shorts/tights/boots combo?!?!

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Agree that you've got to lose that embroidery. It's fucking awful. Why ruin a perfectly nice shirt with something that looks like a bad tattoo. Nice stripes though.

I agree with whoever said upthread that the selection of men's clothes in the UK is supernaturally shit. I went into Next in Bath recently while skiving on a family visit. It was horrific. Mostly full of clothes I could imagine would get brought for my cousin in law by his wife. Horrible cheap tat with the same sort of pseudo macho miltaristic crap printed over the top. My girlfriend pointed out it looked like the type of thing straight men in a rush would buy because they a) don't wanto to look gay and b) don't want to spend more than 30 mins shopping a season.

So - where do people go in London to get nice stuff? Current favourite is Butcher of Distinction on Drays Wharf off Brick Lane (opposite Rough Trade East). They have some lovely stuff in there, unfortunately a lot of tends ot be too small for me, as I am officaly a giant. I would buy all my clothes in Paul Smith but then I'd have to live in skip which kind of defeats the purpose. There's some lovely stuff in the various boutiques in Selfridges but again, this is obscenely expensive. So, where do people tend to go?

S

simon silverdollar

So - where do people go in London to get nice stuff?

the new Oliver Spencer shop on lamb's conduit street is very nice. not cheap, but not obscenely expensive either...like £70 for a shirt. it's good if you like old school, classic clothing (lots of tweed and checks) but with a bit of a twist.

S

simon silverdollar

i went to the Marc jacobs shop in new york when i was on holiday there last week, thinking that because of the weak dollar there might be something which i could vaguely afford, but it was so expensive that each glance at a price tag was like a punch in the kidneys: £150 for a plain white t-shirt.