mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Sorry, China, India, and everywhere else, you can't follow what we did here in the West, because that was a long time ago and we are now OK to live off the spoils of an industrial revolution created by misery of the many, because it was a long time ago, OK?

and just because we abuse human rights, doesn't mean you can. Do as we say, not as we do.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Japanese stuff being so "cool" and all the rest of (contemporary) Asia being at best ignored.

Exceptions of course, but as a trend... it certainly does my head in.

unknown soulja

Wild Horses
I think of the shaved-off-then-drawn-back-on look as "Polish eyebrows" - bit of a stereotype, but it does seem to be very popular among east-European women. Although your sigmoid-browed girl sounds like something else altogether...

Saw a women who had her eyebrows shaved and then tattoo-ed on in Albania once. Someone should suggest that to these women as a time saver.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Saw a women who had her eyebrows shaved and then tattoo-ed on in Albania once. Someone should suggest that to these women as a time saver.

It's, um, a bold look:

eyebrow-7.jpg

tattooing-elaborate-eyebrows-when-a-simple-line-wont-do.jpeg

This is the best one, though:

tattoohead.png

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
ninjas
tentacles
giant robots
schoolgirls in little 'sailor' uniforms
giant ninja robot schoolgirls, with tentacles...

zhao

there are no accidents
i guess which ever way the camera happens to be pointing is where "all the cool stuff comes from" :rolleyes:

as for the places to which the camera has not yet turned, in another 30 years i hope we'll remember this thread.

mms

sometimes
i guess which ever way the camera happens to be pointing is where "all the cool stuff comes from" :rolleyes:

as for the places to which the camera has not yet turned, in another 30 years i hope we'll remember this thread.

in this case its a kinda dissonance which makes the relationship interesting though

zhao

there are no accidents
in this case its a kinda dissonance which makes the relationship interesting though

there are particulars (everything since the war rubbing against tradition) which makes it unique, and uniquely interesting for sure. but how exactly do you mean?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ninjas
tentacles
giant robots
schoolgirls in little 'sailor' uniforms
giant ninja robot schoolgirls, with tentacles...

I didn't read the context and thought that these were all things that did your head in, and then thought you must have turned quite (by which I mean very) mad.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
its a weird two way relationship though, they like our coolest western things too.

I was thinking that's probably a big part of it. The hype about Japan over any other Asian countries is partly because it's hype by people who are excited about the same stuff as the people they're excited about. If that makes sense? Subcultures / notions of cool / fashion consciousness etc. - very big things in the West - and Japan has those in bucket loads.

Friends in China, Vietnam, Indonesia have commented on there being no great sense of cool (or none that they've decoded?) in any of those countries.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Friends in China, Vietnam, Indonesia have commented on there being no great sense of cool (or none that they've decoded?) in any of those countries.

Do you think it's because the concept of cool is maybe quite an abstract thing, something that takes a while to develop... If you're still a peasant or uneducated it's all rather wasted. Obviously the higher classes have always had fashions, but the rise of the middle class probably brings Cool with it. The Japanese rapidly assimilated American culture after WW2, where as China and co didn't. That said I bet parts of Shanghai are Chic...