Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
True. When I go to see my parents I just try and make up the cost of the flights by eating and drinking to equivalent value.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Off-licence booze is cheaper in France, especially wine for obvious reasons, but then they don't have the pub culture that we do. Also I'm reliably informed that wine in restaurants there is horribly overpriced (much moreso than over here, even). Basically the way to eat and drink well in France without taking out a second mortgage is to buy good ingredients and wine in a supermarket and cook at home.

In your cheaper flat...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Young people in this country (incl. me) are fucked...
It's another case where it feels a lot like a ladder being pulled up. Looking around Cambridge, you really get the feeling that to own some of the reasonably nice victorian terraces you either have to be super rich or just have bought it thirty years ago. And I can't imagine that it's going to be long before a lot of young people start to ask why they're working their guts out and making big sacrifices to be able to afford half as much space as the old lady next door has...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's another case where it feels a lot like a ladder being pulled up. Looking around Cambridge, you really get the feeling that to own some of the reasonably nice victorian terraces you either have to be super rich or just have bought it thirty years ago. And I can't imagine that it's going to be long before a lot of young people start to ask why they're working their guts out and making big sacrifices to be able to afford half as much space as the old lady next door has...

And the incongruous thing is, houses are the only commodity that have increased massively in value over the last generation or so without either getting appreciably 'better' (possibly with the exception of the luxury-flat/loft-convo end of the market, which clearly accounts for a minority of homes) or even that much more scarce. I mean, how many times over in real terms has the cost of the average house in this country increased since 1970 - something like five times, I think? The population's bigger than it was then, but it's not five times bigger, and while more people live alone or in small nuclear families, that can hardly account for the increased demand by itself. And lots of homes have been built since then. I think it's largely the result of the distortion of the top end of the market by the appearance of a new echelon of super-filthy-rich, mainly in London, which has a knock-on effect all the way down to the bottom end.

That, and the pernicious influence of Location, Location, Location and Kirsty Allsop's plummy voice and hypnotic tits.

Drinkin ur wine.

Memes from five years ago - love it. :D

Last edited:

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I guess this could be three things: regulation of private rent so that you can't charge more than a going rate for a certain size of property in a certain area; abundant social housing (as a percentage of the fixed total number of flats) that keeps private rental rates in check by competition; or simply far fewer super-rich people in Paris than there are in London. Or some combination of the three.

The first two apply to Amsterdam, where 50% of all houses (!) are social housing. As for privately owned houses, there is a set of criteria for which points are allocated and come with a corresponding rent level. Above a certain amount of points you're in the private sector, but that is hardly done. As for social housing, the rent levels are very low, but then you have to wait at least ten years to get a crappy place. Expensive by my estimates. At least flats are affordable to buy for double earners...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
And the incongruous thing is, houses are the only commodity that have increased massively in value over the last generation or so without either getting appreciably 'better'

Actually houses are getting worse- average square footage has decreased for many new builds whilst number of bedrooms (which developers use as a key guide to price- estate agents use square footage) has gone up.

We've just moved out of our Victorian terrace into a 1970s house and the difference in build design aesthetic is alarming (low ceilings, room compromised due to poorly designed stairwell, box like rooms).

It has got even worse since then (up to the late 1950s were the golden age iirc).

The commodification of house buying has driven rising prices as well as the fact that people don't understand how the house market works and feel that increased equity in current house= £££££ (hence increased household debt), without understanding that all houses are rising in price and if they move the debt is transferred to the new house rather than paid back.

Banks, of course, don't mind this one bit as they have the property as security (we don't have the subprime issues the USA does).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Actually houses are getting worse- average square footage has decreased for many new builds whilst number of bedrooms (which developers use as a key guide to price- estate agents use square footage) has gone up.

Yeah, there was a report a year or two back saying that new dwellings being built in the UK are the smallest in Europe.

We've just moved out of our Victorian terrace into a 1970s house and the difference in build design aesthetic is alarming (low ceilings, room compromised due to poorly designed stairwell, box like rooms).

It has got even worse since then (up to the late 1950s were the golden age iirc).

Reminds me of a house I lived in for half a year or so a while back. Big ugly red brick thing, might have been built as recently as the '90s, and it just felt so shoddy - the stairs creaked and palpably bowed as you trod on then, and I had a room on the second floor but could hear every word when people were talking in the kitchen. It also had those infuriating little windows above each internal door (what *exactly* is the point of them, does anyone know?). While I was living there an identical house next door was on the market for £450k. :eek:

The commodification of house buying has driven rising prices as well as the fact that people don't understand how the house market works and feel that increased equity in current house= £££££ (hence increased household debt), without understanding that all houses are rising in price and if they move the debt is transferred to the new house rather than paid back.

Banks, of course, don't mind this one bit as they have the property as security (we don't have the subprime issues the USA does).

Exactly. Simply owning a house at a time when prices are rising is not the same as earning money. One of the papers today had a headline that prices are due to fall back to 2004 levels this year - now watch the Daily Fail make out like this is the end of the world...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
It also had those infuriating little windows above each internal door (what *exactly* is the point of them, does anyone know?).

Rather boringly, i think I might :eek:

I would guess they are a hangover from a replaced warm air heating system and the owner, rather than plaster over the gap left when it was replaced with radiators, thought it was an excellent opportunity to annoy anyone who ever lived in the house again.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Maybe in some cases, but I grew up in a house built in the 70s that had these windows. I think their real purpose is to alert parents to their offspring's status of awakeness/asleepness, thereby allowing them to exercise further draconian control over them.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Maybe in some cases, but I grew up in a house built in the 70s that had these windows. I think their real purpose is to alert parents to their offspring's status of awakeness/asleepness, thereby allowing them to exercise further draconian control over them.

Warm air systems are mainly found in 1970s homes, fact fans

john eden

male pale and stale
heh - yeah we have those windows in our (ex) Council flat, which was post war, but did used to have a massive communal warm air heater for the block.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Really? OK, I'm sure the house was fitted with radiators from when my parents bought it though. Maybe not.

They fell out of favour pretty quickly, so if it was bought in the 1980s or later, the system may have already been replaced

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
They don't build houses any more, only units.

Christ, that's a depressing sentence.

I thought those windows are for letting light into windowless hallways.

We have electric lights for that though, innit. In any case, you often find these windows above the doors to bathrooms or toilets that don't even have an external window. I'm sure it's just spite on the part of the architects to ensure that everyone in the house gets woken up when someone goes to the toilet in the night. See also: very loud extractor fans that come on when the bathroom light is switched on and stay on for about an ice age after it's been turned off.

BareBones

wheezy
See also: very loud extractor fans that come on when the bathroom light is switched on and stay on for about an ice age after it's been turned off.

Cor yeah, i recently moved flat and the one in my new bathroom actually turns off with the light. I was so happy when i first found that out. Then i thought, i must be getting old.