Burial "Untrue"

mms

sometimes
i am in a slightly conflicted way quite happy about this

feel dark cos if he or hyperdub really wanted it then it is a shame (although i have to wonder why hyperdub went for this anyhow? i was really surprised to find out that it requires labels to nominate). it is a shame though that they wont see the extra funds which it would bring to allow them to pursue their obviously astounding artistic projects

i reckon their sales of that album would have gone up though as a result of being nominated, by curious music fans who would have otherwise not heard it, which is a good thing.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh that is good

but i guess i just tie a lot of stuff to my (uninformed) understanding of what Kode 9 is about, from his writing and such, and i can't help be surprised

also looking at it, happy is the wrong word. ambivalent is better

mms

sometimes
yeh that is good

but i guess i just tie a lot of stuff to my (uninformed) understanding of what Kode 9 is about, from his writing and such, and i can't help be surprised

also looking at it, happy is the wrong word. ambivalent is better

also i think a distributor can nominate with the labels consent, it costs to enter tho.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
Yeah i'm glad he didn't win tbh- i watched and i was getting sucked into it but what does any award mean ever and the mercury seems to be especially brilliant at ruining careers.

also, what little we know about him, i really don't see that the increased exposure would bring anything other than trauma to somebody who has no interest in the public side of recording music.

I mean come on, the guy was reluctant to even publish his name or photo- can you imagine the shite that would have resulted from him winning the bloody thing.

elgato

I just dont know
also i think a distributor can nominate with the labels consent, it costs to enter tho.

that's interesting. that might make more sense, acquiescence rather than positive pursuit on the part of Kode 9. to clarify i hope it doesn't seem like i'm being disrespectful, it is perhaps not my place to speculate on his intentions. i am just intrigued (because i place such high value on what he does) and also interested in discussion, although more so on the latter half of my original post

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i reckon their sales of that album would have gone up though as a result of being nominated, by curious music fans who would have otherwise not heard it, which is a good thing.
Yeah, I think the shortlist is a lot more important than the actual winner for prizes like this (and also for art / literature type prizes). Getting a jury of half a dozen people to pick the best album of the year by some sort of weird debate / consesus / vote / shouting match approach is never going to give you a particularly enlightening result, but getting them to pick a dozen albums that they think more people should check out has a bit more purpose, even if they do miss some corkers.

Tbh, with my vaguely hippyish hat on, if there are some people getting enjoyment out of music that they wouldn't otherwise have heard of (particularly when some of that is music that I find really exciting myself) I don't think I can quibble that there should have been more psy-grindcore or tech-sludge-hop on the shortlist. Plus a nomination means press coverage, promo stands in HMV, and basically a fat stack more sales, and people like Burial / Hyperdub getting a big pile more money is something I can't be too pissed off about.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I remember at the time it seemed incredible and quite important that Dizzee win it - that seemed a real bolt out of the blue. But this being Burial's 2nd album and everything, I couldn't raise much enthusiasm.

Slothrop you are right about short/long lists - something like the Samuel Johnson prize list is really worth digging around in each year.

mos dan

fact music
I don't think I can quibble that there should have been more psy-grindcore or tech-sludge-hop on the shortlist.

i knew i wasn't the only one who was gutted at how criminally under-represented tech-sludge-hop was this year. fucking typical.

:cool:

STN

sou'wester
I can't help assuming Elbow are desperately crap, even though I've never heard them. I mean, Elbow? Really!

childrentalking

wouldn't winning the award have increased the chances of music industry types noticing all the uncleared, major artist, big ticket vocal samples on the record?

Ory

warp drive
I thought they'd all been cleared.

someone said something to that effect anyway, but what do I know.

mms

sometimes
wouldn't winning the award have increased the chances of music industry types noticing all the uncleared, major artist, big ticket vocal samples on the record?
you're making an assumption that they're big name and uncleared, i guess only hyperdub know what they are really.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I know they're the nicest guys in the industry and all that, but they're not new music or cutting edge, are they? Stupid awards.

straight

wings cru
yeah, i asked the same question a while back and someone close to the hyperdub lot confirmed most had been cleared after the record came out.

Personally I don't really have a problem with Elbow winning, they are a decent bunch of lads. I've always enjoyed Guy Garvey's radio show on xfm manchester, always bashing out tom waits and leonard cohen for them sunday afternoon blues. I have found their music bland in the past but friends who are fans have told me its their most crafted and varied work to date. Plus they part own one of my favourite bars in manc, Big Hands, which contains some of the worst toilets and sexiest, crazy barmaids you are ever likely to lay eyes on.

And as for giving it to radiohead, pull yourself together man.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
btw who was the TV pundit, the asian looking guy with very curly hair?

he was the fall guy pushed into speaking "for" burial, qualifying this by saying he "knew someone who knew him" ... am curious...

mms

sometimes
yeah, i asked the same question a while back and someone close to the hyperdub lot confirmed most had been cleared after the record came out.

Personally I don't really have a problem with Elbow winning, they are a decent bunch of lads. I've always enjoyed Guy Garvey's radio show on xfm manchester, always bashing out tom waits and leonard cohen for them sunday afternoon blues. I have found their music bland in the past but friends who are fans have told me its their most crafted and varied work to date. Plus they part own one of my favourite bars in manc, Big Hands, which contains some of the worst toilets and sexiest, crazy barmaids you are ever likely to lay eyes on.

didn't know that it was a good blokes you could go out for a beer with competition but there you go.
they certainly look like they like alot of beer.