pajbre

not sure if it counts as funky proper, but there are hints, and i'm feeling it:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

doom

Public Housing
Wbeeza sounds rad, no matter if it's not full of new ideas.

exactally. I doubt the funky thing has had any bearing on what he does, except now he's prob selling a couple more copies & is on 100 more file sharing sites. its 'just house' :rolleyes:

mms

sometimes
exactally. I doubt the funky thing has had any bearing on what he does, except now he's prob selling a couple more copies & is on 100 more file sharing sites. its 'just house' :rolleyes:

says doom writing in the funky thread on dissensus. ;)
there have been thousands of these kinda records released for past 10 years or so from all over the world - of course funky has a bearing on what he does, he's associated with circle, you wouldn't be talking about this if he wasn't and if whoever hadn't seen him at a funky event recently honestly.
Would argue that funky is a mish mash anyway and this kinda stuff is part of it - see circle, but for me this isn't exciting stuff anyway, as discussed in the house thread, funky's shone a light on house for a lot of brit kids again.

I would argue, thinking about it that the origins of funky are definitley in the exhuberant productions of armand van helden esp the carribean pirates stuff, but just his attitude to house.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm completey clueless about funky at the moment since I haven't got an MP3 player to put shows on... Am I missing a lot?

mms

sometimes
how do you know?

besides it wasn't a funky event, was a house/techno festival in wales.

ok sorry about that but it's still generic house of the kind you can hear week in week out on juno for the last 10 years or so i don't see what the fuss is about at all, it's confusing to me, and to answer the how do you know question, it's because this is in the funky thread not the house 09 thread! ;)

i also have the feeling it's cos it's nicely produced, very linear and clean which again as i don't produce, state of the art production isn't really something that initially attracts me to music, i don't have that insiders view, it's nice, sometimes it's great if a technique is exemplary.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
ok sorry about that but it's still generic house of the kind you can hear week in week out on juno for the last 10 years or so i don't see what the fuss is about at all, it's confusing to me, and to answer the how do you know question, it's because this is in the funky thread not the house 09 thread! ;)

not with you on the first bit at all.. even if it's not the most original thing ever it's not like this style has been dominant in the last 10 years. like you said in the other house thread, it's something which has seen a resurgence just recently.

you seem to be insinuating that most people on here were completely unaware of house music until funky arrived, but that's not the full picture at all. i think his music is different and interesting, i don't know how much of that is down to context but i'm not massively concerned either way.

i was the one that brought up his name in this thread, and i decided to put it here rather than in 'house '09' because he's a london producer. this thread is called 'funky/london/uk house'..

doom

Public Housing
Not only is he a London producer, but its a very London sound. Sorry, you won't hear records with the same vibe coming from other parts of the world no matter the formal similarities.

So what if its not earth shattering, shock of the new, cutting super fuking edge or what have you, frankly who gives a rats arse, if you like it, you like it & if you don't, you don't, I don't see how it being generic has any bearing...

& apart from having a giggle with the Circle lads about 'wonky & funky' I don't see him putting ex-grime mcs on his tunes or doing anything other than continuing to make functional, quality, house tunes.

for the record, I just did a sort files by date & it seems I bought wbeeza's Heavy Stuff EP;

Tuesday, 28 October 2008

On the same day I got "Dubble D - Brogue" & "Copyright ft. Imaani - Deeper "
the day before that I bought; "Nick Holder & Lewis - Yeah" "Argy - The Storm" & "T.J.Cases ft. Natalie Broomes - Nothing Better Than Your Lovin"

& yes I sing along with Natalie at the top of my voice :p

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
BEYOND, The Funky Monthly returns to Plastic People!

BEYOND

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 3RD

MARCUS NASTY

COOLY G

FINGAPRINT

ROSKA

SCRATCHA DVA

Hosted by: MC VERSATILE

9pm - Late / £5 B4 10pm / £7 After

Thursday 3rd September, 1st Thursday every month thereafter

Plastic People, 147 Curtain Rd, EC2A

that is fucking BRILLIANT news. beyond at pp was the most fun i've had on a dancefloor all year (save for night slugs obv).

Blackdown

nexKeysound
"Birthday Sex (Donae'o remix)": ohmydayz this tune makes me want to dance with abandon on the rushhour tube it's that perfect! anyone else heard it?

mms

sometimes
you seem to be insinuating that most people on here were completely unaware of house music until funky arrived,

are you joking?

thats not what i'm insinuating at all, thats a rather large leap from me saying a record is nothing special and wondering why on earth it's getting lots of props. I've not insinuated anything i've more or less asked questions or posited ideas.

i would never expect anyone who's into dance to be that unaware of house i think it's just think funky's kinda pricked ppls ears up to house again after years of being marginalised, thats all im arguing.
Interestingly deep house is also now popular with the minimal lot, i'm interested why really.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
So what if its not earth shattering, shock of the new, cutting super fuking edge or what have you, frankly who gives a rats arse, if you like it, you like it & if you don't, you don't, I don't see how it being generic has any bearing...

you can like what you like but i'm just suprised anyone is raised eyebrows or gettting excited about this, thats all.

As i've been saying to my ears this simply is a deep house producer, there simply are thousands like him, if he is so different can you tell me how?

Can you define the reasons why he sticks out, why his sound is so British etc..

you see I don't understand why you guys are so keen to aggressivley defend it!:)

& apart from having a giggle with the Circle lads about 'wonky & funky' I don't see him putting ex-grime mcs on his tunes or doing anything other than continuing to make functional, quality, house tunes.

my definition of funky and as i understand it from seeing djs play out as i mentioned a couple of posts below is that funkys a mish mash of house styles. Rather than defined by havig ex grime mcs or whatever.

can we discuss these things rather than have you lot going :
he's good
me going:
why?

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
you seem to be insinuating that most people on here were completely unaware of house music until funky arrived...

i think what's making funky interesting is that a lot of the younger/road funky producers were fairly unaware of anything from house's vast legacy beyond a few years.

it kinda leaves them unburdened to experiment but also doesnt protect them from ending up sounding like danny tenaglia circa 95, as some of the more trad.house funky DJs have done in recent months.

nuum/road contributors can be remarkably insulated from other genres, i've noticed over the years. cooly g had never heard of hyperdub before 9 approached her, for example...

Interestingly deep house is also now popular with the minimal lot, i'm interested why really.

yeah a few people i know who were into minimal have moved to a deep house tip, really dull 'could have been made any time in the last 15 years' deep house though, maybe with slightly better sound design. If you had have told me in 07 that the big sounds of 09 would be funky and deep house i'd have laughed in your face, but the move towars a more raw, functional, danceable sound seems obvious when you consider how little people raved to minimal and dubstep, they posed and raised their arms to no-climax cascading bleepiness for minimal and either moshed or nodded (mostly..) to dubstep depending on the style.. so things got a lot funkier, that sort of mnml influenced deep house is a pure dead end though, a few minimal/techno djs i know just seem bored and uninspired but slogging on anyway. In terms of funky it's definitely the more grime influenced, garage syncopated rougher strains that i'm liking, the deep house does nothing for me, i've had my fill of tasteful 4/4 craic.

mms

sometimes
yeah a few people i know who were into minimal have moved to a deep house tip, really dull 'could have been made any time in the last 15 years' deep house though, maybe with slightly better sound design. If you had have told me in 07 that the big sounds of 09 would be funky and deep house i'd have laughed in your face, but the move towars a more raw, functional, danceable sound seems obvious when you consider how little people raved to minimal and dubstep, they posed and raised their arms to no-climax cascading bleepiness for minimal and either moshed or nodded (mostly..) to dubstep depending on the style.. so things got a lot funkier, that sort of mnml influenced deep house is a pure dead end though, a few minimal/techno djs i know just seem bored and uninspired but slogging on anyway. In terms of funky it's definitely the more grime influenced, garage syncopated rougher strains that i'm liking, the deep house does nothing for me, i've had my fill of tasteful 4/4 craic.

part of me thinks it's a bit of a retreat from the definitely more far out futurist inclinations of mnml, and funky, which is fine, interesting why that happens, do things get too weird, does the terriitory become too unknown etc.
deep house too also seems to have something of the 'mature' about it, ie its very tasteful, soulful etc.
No doubt this stuff is also state of the art production etc, which sometimes is a camo for a lack of ideas too.