Corpsey

bandz ahoy
when you consider how little people raved to minimal and dubstep, they posed and raised their arms to no-climax cascading bleepiness for minimal and either moshed or nodded (mostly..) to dubstep depending on the style..

I always see this thing about people standing around nodding to dubstep... It's misleading, at least as far as my experience of it goes.

Maybe I've just got a surfeit of natural rhythm :confused:

mos dan

fact music
ha i thought of you actually. well it will be on our Rinse set this thurs, but i hope other DJs are on it too. it deserves to blow up.

wicked mate, can't wait. lol at so accurately pegging my taste too. i've actually heard a funky remix of birthday sex already, but the donaeo one ought to be another level.

doom

Public Housing
Can you define the reasons why he sticks out, why his sound is so British etc..

Probablly not in any meaningfull way, if I could maybe I'd be able to turn a trick or two as a music writer guy. Anyway, there is something in the low end that American Deep House producers don't do. They don't run the sub so hard & clipped, I assume its too dirty for them - might have something to do with US soundsystems vs. UK soundsystems, whereas UK tunes will always have that mattress of sub, that heavily low pass filtered & +10EQ bass sound. It sounds differant over a system & in the mix. Doubtless there are examples that criss-cross, but as a general rule of thumb I think it pans out.

you see I don't understand why you guys are so keen to aggressivley defend it!:)

As much as it may not have been your intention, there was def. a hint of insinuation. I'm the first to admit you know allot more about house music than me, but I still know a tune when I hear one.

The only thing I will aggressivley defend is a theme running thru certain attitudes that House & 4x4 = bad - the 'its Just House' attitude. Which is bollox.

It seems to me your confusion lay, at least in part, to not understanding why people like tunes you think are 'meh' fair enough, from what I've heard of the dj sprinkles stuff mentioned in the "House '09" thread I had that same thing for about 5secs. I don't really give any thought after that tbh. Differant strokes.

my definition of funky and as i understand it from seeing djs play out as i mentioned a couple of posts below is that funkys a mish mash of house styles. Rather than defined by havig ex grime mcs or whatever.

fairplay, to me, I'm not going to lump people in together if they don't lump themselves in together with them, from what I can tell, Circle & the dubbage tag is a deliberate move to distance themselves from 'the funky thing'

I think the AVH connection you mention is an important one, his was always a really omnivorous view of House Music, I think there may even be an argument to be made for a distinction between house producers that sample & those that don't. To me the boring stuff is almost always connected with the 'I write / make all my music by hand maaannnn' attitude.

minimalism always sorta fizzles out in the end tho doesn't it?

certain attitudes that House & 4x4 = bad - the 'its Just House' attitude. Which is bollox.
yeah, the one thing about the people starting to embrace house from the funky angle, specially those coming from dubstep or grime, is that a lot of them still seem to think that funky is ok cause it's not really house but the rest of it is just that boring dull genre which is all the same and everything has been done, which couldn't be more far from reality.

As for the mnml gang, specially the m_nus emporium and all those following, they have been transitioning back to the microhouse sound for a few years now, and from there going deeper seems to be the next step, or at least that's the impression I get not following them too much.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can imagine Beyond being absolutely rammed given PP is quite a small place...do you think it will be a tickets in advance affair?

One of the reasons I'm grateful to funky is it's made me aware just how much great house was being produced Stateside over the past 15 years, which is one strain of music I'd really paid zero attention to, thinking it all must be dull/conservative/'deep' etc.

alex

Do not read this.
also the 1st track from the tippa vs gee set @ fwd is alot..just got back from Ibiza & the defected night out there @ space was abselutly banging!!

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
could someone ID a track for me, there was a sinbad set posted in here from Deja Vu a few pages back, there is a track with some great samples @ the start (they may be martin luther king?) and the main hook is "holld onn" its like got an over compressed kick which doubles up, its such a tune!!

thnaks in advance!

mms

sometimes
Probablly not in any meaningfull way, if I could maybe I'd be able to turn a trick or two as a music writer guy. Anyway, there is something in the low end that American Deep House producers don't do. They don't run the sub so hard & clipped, I assume its too dirty for them - might have something to do with US soundsystems vs. UK soundsystems, whereas UK tunes will always have that mattress of sub, that heavily low pass filtered & +10EQ bass sound. It sounds differant over a system & in the mix. Doubtless there are examples that criss-cross, but as a general rule of thumb I think it pans out.

I don't agree with this tbh as there is tons of US house, from sneak and the chicago stuff to the ultra lo end detroit beatdown stuff that is heavy on the bass.
I don't care who knows more about house or whatever, i don't really know that much, i'm no 'house head' i'm just intrigued why this is getting props.

As much as it may not have been your intention, there was def. a hint of insinuation. I'm the first to admit you know allot more about house music than me, but I still know a tune when I hear one.

of course i wasn't insinuating this, that would be ridiculous and extremely arrogant too, i was just asking why this is so special, something i asked repeatedly and got no answer to really

The only thing I will aggressivley defend is a theme running thru certain attitudes that House & 4x4 = bad - the 'its Just House' attitude. Which is bollox.

ok but i've never said this or insinuated it.

It seems to me your confusion lay, at least in part, to not understanding why people like tunes you think are 'meh' fair enough, from what I've heard of the dj sprinkles stuff mentioned in the "House '09" thread I had that same thing for about 5secs. I don't really give any thought after that tbh. Differant strokes.

Yes i'm not massivley into the sprinkles stuff its pretty dry, i prefer house a bit dirtier.
I'm not confused, it was just that no one could tell me why this was worth talking about, what i am baboozled by is what makes this stuff different from alot of other stuff, and what makes it so distinct, british etc, that was all i was asking, personally i still don't see it it doesn't rock my boat.

alex

Do not read this.
ez guys, have been checking a lot of rinse sets recently, just wondering if anyone can point me in the way of really percussive rolling tunes or artists who make them?..

eg. Cooly G's - Hard

less on the techy vein, more rolling stuff, this is really what I am into at the moment, oh house where have you been all my life :D

edit, feeling that bucie tune aswell, nice little roller

Last edited:

luka

cor that show gets really fun after the first hour. its amazing the variation in quality and styles that all get lumped under the same banner. some of that stuff is startlingly bad.