Dodgy Bad Taste Warrior Queen Lyrics

zhao

there are no accidents
yes completely- give it up guys.

ok i don't intend to go on and on about it. pretty satisfied with:

so what i'm gathering is this: that the song is not particularly, or at all, spreading state propaganda, but that line delivered in harsh tones, which just so happens to be the part of the song easiest understood by non-patois speakers, may easily lead to interpretations of the meaning along the lines of an anti-Islam message.

so i will just remove the offending 12 seconds from an otherwise wicked tune, and it'll be all peaches and cream.

monkeysblood

born to cry
conflating Islam with killing is what that line does, and it is problematic for me.

Hey, I hope nobody here is trying to suggest there's some sort of connection between the state religions and the accumulation of power through violence.

Zhao, it really sounds like you just wanted to drop some bad-ass violent sounding tracks, so you'd look like the big shit at a party - only for your arse to tighten up when you noticed a dubious lyric. Or more, a dubious lyric that differs from some of the more popular violent/misogynist/hateful stuff that is all over so much soundsystem music. Maybe you should have just listened to it more first.

It was good to hear something being performed that makes some personal commentary on current events. A rare thing I'd say. It's a good track. Do you think artistic output should give a balanced take from all sides of it's subject matter? It's music, not BBC world service.

gumdrops

i posted about this when this track first came out. or was it the track on one of the dubstep allstar comps? either way i think her grasp of politics is shoddy/amateur at best and shes just been swept up into the ever-fair and never manipulative or scaremongering british media's shit-stirring tactics. cant really blame her too much for her naivity but i get a bit uncomfortable when i hear those lyrics. i thought someone like her might have a bit of compassion (although that seems the wrong word if were talking about terrorists) or at least understanding of how certain corners of the media can distort things when attacking minority groups.

i find a lot of whats happening in england w/r/t attitudes towards immigration, race relations, british identity, religion etc at the moment quite depressing anyway. im not surprised people from all tiers of uk society espouse awful, or just, ignorant views.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
i posted about this when this track first came out. or was it the track on one of the dubstep allstar comps? either way i think her grasp of politics is shoddy/amateur at best and shes just been swept up into the ever-fair and never manipulative or scaremongering british media's shit-stirring tactics. cant really blame her too much for her naivity but i get a bit uncomfortable when i hear those lyrics. i thought someone like her might have a bit of compassion (although that seems the wrong word if were talking about terrorists) or at least understanding of how certain corners of the media can distort things when attacking minority groups.

i find a lot of whats happening in england w/r/t attitudes towards immigration, race relations, british identity, religion etc at the moment quite depressing anyway. im not surprised people from all tiers of uk society espouse awful, or just, ignorant views.

thank you for some needed sense and sensitivity in this thread.

mos dan

fact music
[o/t]

More comparable would be someone coming out with a song about the 1933 Reichstag fire and happily calling the perpetrators 'Communists'.

as a history grad and music lover, i wish there were more songs about pivotal events in european history. i remember when the manics came out with their spanish civil war song, i'd been looking forward to that for years, it was going to be this complex, multi-layered invocation of the spirit of the international brigades, based on the manics' extensive knowledge of the subject and much-lauded intellectual approach to song-writing...

suffice it to say that it was not.

john eden

male pale and stale

Coming up after the break - Flodan and Killa P not entirely on-message when it comes to the roots of anti-social behaviour, alienation and community relations! Durrty Goodz' understanding of Hegel found to be sadly lacking!

aMinadaB

thank you for some needed sense and sensitivity in this thread.
"Much needed sensitivity" ... yeah right, where was yours, in the opening post?

What zhao's string of posts exposes is the fact that good/leftist politics are in no way guaranteed simply by having 'your heart in the right place' (or whatever). Ill-informed, half-thought-out, kneejerk, bone-headed conclusions based on poor acquaintance with the subject at hand makes for bad politics too. Claiming that it's in the name of 'fairness to islam' doesn't get you off the hook, if anything it reinforces the idea that zhao's powers of observation are incredibly simplistic to begin with and his method one of emotionally spewing whenever the mood takes him. That's not "sensitive," it's just another version of propaganda ... and leaves him in the same position as the propagandizing journalists he berates ....

gumdrops

obv, im glad WQ is so candid and says whatever she likes cos theres no point in keeping quiet just in case you say the 'wrong' thing, but at the same time we also have the right to call her out on ignorance when it comes. same thing as say, old hip hop songs that are totally sexist - im glad the rappers say what they really feel but doesnt mean we should just let it pass. often i think a lot of liberal critics either go way OTT w/r/t attacking things like slackness in dancehall or go totally the other way and defend it for whatever stupid reason or cos theyre maybe too afraid to tread where they think they shouldnt. its boring to say but i find the middle ground is a good place to occupy in these matters.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I think it's pretty much categorically undeniable that the media and the government in this country both spend far too much inculcating fear and suspicion into people - but at the same time, you can go too far the other way and end up sounding like you're saying that merely acknowledging that there have been terrorist attacks here, and that there are people who are planning future attacks (let alone going so far as to condemn it) is to be 'Islamophobic'. That unless you're willing to sweep the whole problem of extremism and intolerance under the carpet and pretend it isn't there at all, you are just an ignorant, brain-washed sheep labouring under the delusions of racist propaganda, &c. &c.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I think the larger issue of DJs censoring or editing tracks they play is an interesting one (that has come up recently in other threads)... How does lyrical content affect the songs you play? Should it be a factor in track selection or is "all about the music"? How far do you go -- excise any "ho" or "bitch"? Esp in dance music, DJs have a huge role as gatekeepers/curators, and they could (and probably have) influence the lyrical content in the genres they rep.

Any personal instances of DJ censorship? I know that when I put BDP's "Illegal Business" on a mixtape, I often excise the "Don't get me wrong, America's a great place to live" bit because it's so off topic and KRS says it in such a cheesy way. I used to play a refix of "Boom Bye Bye" with the "Dead Wrong" beat on my old radio show because it sounded so good, but eventually stopped, and now I feel a bit bad about putting it on the airwaves in retrospect.

gumdrops

at the same time, you can go too far the other way and end up sounding like you're saying that merely acknowledging that there have been terrorist attacks here, and that there are people who are planning future attacks (let alone going so far as to condemn it) is to be 'Islamophobic'. That unless you're willing to sweep the whole problem of extremism and intolerance under the carpet and pretend it isn't there at all, you are just an ignorant, brain-washed sheep labouring under the delusions of racist propaganda, &c. &c.

right. but at the same time, acting like the rise of muslim fundamentalism and terrorism has in no way been exacerbated by the actions of the west (not excusing it of course) is equally wrong. obviously i know some terrorists want to destroy the west simply cos they think its morally repugnant/offensive and basically non-islamic which i think is fucking awful but actions by the west against muslim people/countries plays a large part in this too.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I think it's pretty much categorically undeniable that the media and the government in this country both spend far too much inculcating fear and suspicion into people - but at the same time, you can go too far the other way and end up sounding like you're saying that merely acknowledging that there have been terrorist attacks here, and that there are people who are planning future attacks (let alone going so far as to condemn it) is to be 'Islamophobic'. That unless you're willing to sweep the whole problem of extremism and intolerance under the carpet and pretend it isn't there at all, you are just an ignorant, brain-washed sheep labouring under the delusions of racist propaganda, &c. &c.

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous how people on the left or right "pick a team" like it's a football match. Maybe, just maybe America's aggressive foreign policy and Islamic fundamentalism both stem from equally fucked up attitudes and provide each other with fuel for recrimination?

zhao

there are no accidents
"Much needed sensitivity" ... yeah right, where was yours, in the opening post?

What zhao's string of posts exposes is the fact that good/leftist politics are in no way guaranteed simply by having 'your heart in the right place' (or whatever). Ill-informed, half-thought-out, kneejerk, bone-headed conclusions based on poor acquaintance with the subject at hand makes for bad politics too. Claiming that it's in the name of 'fairness to islam' doesn't get you off the hook, if anything it reinforces the idea that zhao's powers of observation are incredibly simplistic to begin with and his method one of emotionally spewing whenever the mood takes him. That's not "sensitive," it's just another version of propaganda ... and leaves him in the same position as the propagandizing journalists he berates ....

thanks for the criticism. i admit to being guilty of jumping to conclusions about her character in the beginning -- but you have to admit, in these times, putting out a song called "WE BOMB THEM" with the single loudest and clearest screamed lyric about Islamic Terrorism EASILY leads to the premature conclusions i came to.

and if it was so easy for someone like me, who has a strong bias toward this music, to misread her intentions with the song (i still have not read the full lyrics by the way), how easy is it for casual party people, who only hear the music stop and her screaming this line, to interpret it as right-wing propaganda? I'm sure most don't give a shit but i still don't like it.

or even imagine some people on the dancefloor going "right on! bomb those fucking Arabs!"

i can imagine for some people all that aggression in the music needs a target of hatred... and this is the scary thing for me: a total perversion of what i perceive and believe to be ultimately "rebel music"...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I think the larger issue of DJs censoring or editing tracks they play is an interesting one (that has come up recently in other threads)... How does lyrical content affect the songs you play? Should it be a factor in track selection or is "all about the music"? How far do you go -- excise any "ho" or "bitch"? Esp in dance music, DJs have a huge role as gatekeepers/curators, and they could (and probably have) influence the lyrical content in the genres they rep.

Any personal instances of DJ censorship? I know that when I put BDP's "Illegal Business" on a mixtape, I often excise the "Don't get me wrong, America's a great place to live" bit because it's so off topic and KRS says it in such a cheesy way. I used to play a refix of "Boom Bye Bye" with the "Dead Wrong" beat on my old radio show because it sounded so good, but eventually stopped, and now I feel a bit bad about putting it on the airwaves in retrospect.

i completely endorse the replacement of any offending soundbyte of any tune with the "dance motherfucker dance" sample.

gumdrops

I know that when I put BDP's "Illegal Business" on a mixtape, I often excise the "Don't get me wrong, America's a great place to live" bit because it's so off topic and KRS says it in such a cheesy way.

please tell me you know he means it sarcastically.

swears

preppy-kei
thanks for the criticism. i admit to being guilty of jumping to conclusions about her character in the beginning -- but you have to admit, in these times, putting out a song called "WE BOMB THEM" with the single loudest and clearest screamed lyric about Islamic Terrorism EASILY leads to the premature conclusions i came to.

Thought it was called "DEM A BOMB WE"? About being the victim of a terrorist attack?