Jay-Z is killing off Glastonbury festival

straight

wings cru
Or maybe finally the draconian measures brought in to stop touts are either working or putting people off having to apply weeks in advance for the pleasure of staying up all night to buy a ticket. I can't believe its a newsworthy story that only 100,000 tickets sold on the first day. Is it cos radiohead arent playing? Would there have been such a furor if it was eminem?

Last edited:
Can anyone explain what more there is to Jay-Z than his gormless face and leaden rapping? I don't think it's either race or rockism behind the antipathy - it's just that he's successful despite being a bit shit.

mos dan

fact music
Can anyone explain what more there is to Jay-Z than his gormless face and leaden rapping? I don't think it's either race or rockism behind the antipathy - it's just that he's successful despite being a bit shit.

it is rockism imo. gallagher's exact words were "I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury, no way man. It's wrong." and plenty of twats have jumped on with 'i'm not racist but bling/hoes/etc are not appropriate at glasto' type comments.

and irrespective of whether you like jay-z's flow/face, he is a massive global pop star who would have moved the crowd far more than kings of leon (far too small for a headline slot) i'm sure.

not that i care about glasto myself personally at all. but i won't have that twat gallagher get away with bad-mouthing jay-z/hh and legitimising so many british xenophobes' prejudices

zhao

there are no accidents

man's music never did nuthin for me either.

S

simon silverdollar

This quote from Emily Eavis really pissed me off:

"[Black music] really was bling. And he came along, and him and Mary J Blige carried really important messages in songs. They're really important in a different way to a lot of other hip-hop artists"

so 'black music' is only allowed if it has 'important messages', whereas, say, primal scream will forever be welcome, singing about getting twatted on pills?

tox

Factory Girl

Quality has nothing to do with it. Kylie was booked for headline a few years back and the level of criticism was nothing like what its been for this year. That Oasis twat's comments and the press response has been mighty disappointing.

Glad Dizz and Shlomo haven't come under fire along with Jay-Z though.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
How's he gonna stop it, that's what I wanna know?

More to the point, is it his money financing this festival? Is he taking any financial loss based on the decisions of who to book? If not, he really needs to shut the fuck up. If I was Eavis I'd be very unimpressed with him right about now.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
aside the rabid class/race prejudice in full flow on the guardian blog comments, there is a simple musical question here. glastonbury audiences are rock-oriented, it's true. it never had to be like that, but it is now. still, that doesn't mean jay-z won't work the crowd. have these people never heard 99 problems?

vimothy

yurp
aside the rabid class/race prejudice in full flow on the guardian blog comments, there is a simple musical question here. glastonbury audiences are rock-oriented, it's true. it never had to be like that, but it is now.

I thought Glasto was all about seeing nothing but Zion Train for four consecutive evenings...?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose people like to believe Paul McCartney/The Who etc. aren't accquisitive.

Personally I'm not going because it'll probably rain again.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
WTF? they have MUSIC at Glastonbury? THAT must have been what all that noise was then....

I wasn't going to go, not been for years but now that that absolute asshole has opened his stupid piehole, i feel like buying up all the tickets and then stealing enough cash to put on 700 nights of hiphop whist kidnapping gallag**r, strapping him into a hannibal lecter trolley and making the fuckiwtt listen to every single note that comes from the stage.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The man who wrote Champagne Supanova and Rock & Roll Star will raise a storm of righteous fury that will blow all that shallow bling music away

I believe he's recording a protest album with Billy Bragg and Jello Biafra even as we speak.