IdleRich

IdleRich
"Anyway, my guess is Theydon Bois. Best named station on the underground imo"
That sounds like a good idea for a thread, I've always liked Stepney Green - named after the old bluesman of course - and Tooting Bec is a classic, Mudchute also.

Anyway, I reckon that particular gateway to hell is probably in Harringey.

mos dan

fact music
I live in Bow (as do you, right?) , and everytime I tell someone, they say selectah. Will this ever end?

Anyway, my guess is Theydon Bois. Best named station on the underground imo

I went out with a girl from Woodford for a while, and now and then we'd go out in Theydon Bois. I used to wind her up by saying in my poshest francophone voice "ohhh it's so NICE to be in theydon bwaaa" - this was funny (to me) because all the locals pronounce it 'Feydon Boyz', and she was convinced I'd get beaten up if anyone heard me.

I think it was Orwell who once wrote that it was characteristic of the English that they considered the pronounciation of any foreign word correctly to be both effeminate and suspicious.

that was wildly off-topic, sorry

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've always* thought 'Beau Selector' would be a great name for a dating show, or website, or something.

*well, for a couple of years, anyway

Rich, you're right about Mudchute having a great name, but wrong about the location of Stinkhorn.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Would that all maps were this clear and succinct, with just the really important features depicted.

zmap305.gif

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haaaaarff!

It was Churchil who said 'a man has a right to pronounce a foreiner's name however he wishes' or something.

Al-BEAR ca-MOOO!

'Balzac', 'Dumas'... :)

There's a Russian phenomenologist I've referenced in my thesis called Yuri Dokshitzer.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
ghost stations used to creep the shit out of me. i think it's at the far west end of the district line, going towards ealing common, where you go past two or three at minimum possible speed. had to do that journey once at like sixteen and i didn't enjoy it...

really? you sure? I live near ealing broadway.. there's a district line trainyard just outside ealing common, and the gap between those stations is pretty long, can be a bit spooky. i've done that journey thousands of times though, interested to know what you mean

grievous angel said:
Yeah, this is definitely hauntology with a slight undercurrent of humour

haha, slight?

http://www.entrances2hell.co.uk/page333.html# - I like this one a lot, especially the map. I want to live on Terrible Street when I'm grown up.

idlerich said:
That sounds like a good idea for a thread, I've always liked Stepney Green - named after the old bluesman of course - and Tooting Bec is a classic, Mudchute also.

Snaresbrook is a percy. The central line is crammed with great ones though really.

Last edited: