Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Sounds nice. HFW does some good recipes, though I have heard a revolting story about him that I couldn't possibly reproduce here, partly because it would inhabit your nightmares....

Hahaha, I've heard this too. I've decided that I've heard it from too many sources for it not to be true. This isn't like Richard Gere and the gerbil, I reckon this one's the real deal.

benw

i dunno if im just shite with google or what but completely baffled on this one! can someone dm me?? really curious now...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone know where to buy Jerusalem artichokes? Bought some last year, possibly in Sept/October, and loved them, but I can't find them anywhere now - no supermarket seems to stock them, and no luck either at veg shops. Google suggests the season in the uK is October-March...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Jerusalem? HAR HAR!

Edit: sorry, ridiculous thing to say. I know you'd never stoop to buying Israeli produce. Um, Borough Market, or one of the other fancy markets like Broadway? I'd have thought a market would be the way to go for seasonal stuff.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
may have to go market i think, yeah. can't see why they aren't more popular.

interestingly, the 'jerusalem' may be a corruption of 'girasole', the italian for 'sunflower'. which is a bit weird

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
may have to go market i think, yeah. can't see why they aren't more popular.
i) faffy to peel in large quantities
ii) kind of funny looking
iii) give you gas.

They are good, though. Do Delia's carrot and artichoke soup with them, it's about the best winter veg soup I've ever tried:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/soups/carrot-and-artichoke-soup.html

I think I got them from Yasar Halim a couple of times. Not consistently, though. I'd have thought an old fashioned greengrocers would have them from time to time as well. Seems mental to have to schlep to Borough Market to get them, but maybe that's your best bet...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Apparently you can cook them in their skins just fine, which partly solves (i). But (iii) is probably the killer, although in my experience overstated.

Is Yasar Halim the one with the big bakery out front? I never know the actual names of the places on Green Lanes.

Yeah, Borough Market does seem a hell of a way to go to get what should be readily available....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yasar Halim has to be one of my favourite shops in London. It was always a greengrocers with a bakery next door, but I think they expanded into a third shop unit a couple of years ago. Wonderful place.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The exact opposite of the intended subject of this thread, but: raisins in cous-cous. AAAARGH. :mad:

Another day, another abomination a Dutch workplace canteen.