Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nothing, mere amateurs.

I am a big fan of berry-type fruit (dried or not dried) in savoury dishes, I have to say. Barberries in Iranian rice are amazing.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
blech :mad:

(that applies only to raisins/sultanas - blackcurrant jam or similar is obvs a vital ingredient for gravy for a beef roast, for example)

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, don't follow the complicated recipes with chelow and all that jazz unless you want to be slaving for hours, just add some to a basic rice recipe. Also - rice with butter and sumac stirred through is probably the simplest rice recipe that's also amazingly good.

@Tea - raisins and sultanas are so widely used, in loads of different cuisines! They're everywhere in Sicilian cuisine for example.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Saffron-pasta-with-capers-001.jpg

4031175164_970262b316.jpg

fetapistachioandcarrotsalad.jpg

viktorvaughn

Just had for lunch, pile of green lentils cooked with a little stock and paprika/chilli with a fat slice of black pudding, a few little bits of chorizo and some cherry tomatoes softened in the pan for two minutes.

Very nice, and good hearty winter food.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Just had for lunch, pile of green lentils cooked with a little stock and paprika/chilli with a fat slice of black pudding, a few little bits of chorizo and some cherry tomatoes softened in the pan for two minutes.

Very nice, and good hearty winter food.
Sounds nice, but needs more raisins.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Gonna try beetroot and cumin soup at the weekend, with some stock made and frozen at Xmas (only time i generally bother to do it). Would only go mad trying to replicate the sheer amazingness of the borscht I had in Russia, so I figured I needed to try something slightly different.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
got any good ideas for vegetarain sarnies i can make for the cafe i work in?

Personal favourites:

Avocado/mayo/onion/grated carrot/salad

Fried halloumi

Cheese with tomato rubbed/mushed into the bread Greek style

Falafel/tzatziki/salad

Steamed field mushroom/spring onion/mayo

This might be useful:

Last edited:

luka

thanks matt. might have to get the boss to buy something other than dodgy doughy ciabatta though. we dont even have a toaster.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Agree on falafel.

Also:
mozzarella, avocado, salsa and tomato
brie and cranberry

Also I recently discovered that you can put smoked paprika and celery salt in egg mayo and it becomes a sort of veggie crack, it's amazing.

luka

sort of feel falafel can only be good when its hot and oily. otherwise too dry? spose you could cover it with various types of slime.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also I recently discovered that you can put smoked paprika and celery salt in egg mayo and it becomes a sort of veggie crack, it's amazing.

Only fair to point out that crack is suitable for vegetarians as it is. Though you'd be hard-pressed to call it organic or sustainable.

Halloumi is great fried with a light coating of honey. Stilton and pear on brown bread is also delicious, though it works best as cheese on toast. Don't forget the coarse black pepper.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
sort of feel falafel can only be good when its hot and oily. otherwise too dry? spose you could cover it with various types of slime.

Fry and get rid of oil using kitchen paper, add moistness using additional sauces- garlic mayo and chilli for example.

Do they not have sandwiches in Oz? ;)