Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Beetroot and mint - believe it. in a soup with cumin, they're magical. i guess there'd be all kinds of other ways to combine them too.

Beetroot and coconut I can remember being great too, in a thoran

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Beetroot and mint - believe it. in a soup with cumin, they're magical. i guess there'd be all kinds of other ways to combine them too.

Beetroot and coconut I can remember being great too, in a thoran
Beetroot thoran is great.

Beetroot generally is great, come to that. Break out the walnuts next (assuming you eat the walnut). Eg beetroot + walnut + french bean salad. Or beetroot and picked walnut with watercress and sour cream for a starter.

Or get all Scandinavian and go down the beetroot and marinated herring road...

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Just got back from a week in Paris eating macarons and foie gras.

We went to Chateaubriand, which was as good as you'd expect, but also Septime which was (almost) equally good. Also went to Lyon and had lunch in La Mère Brazier. When they come to you at the end with a massive glass jar of fresh mint marshmallow, it's hard to say no, even though you know you should.

But now there is an overwhelming feeling of heaviness up in here and I just want to get back to really basic, simple nutrition. Russian home foods and old vegetarian cookbooks especially. Has anyone checked out the "paleo" trend of the moment?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I spent a lot of time reading marksdailyapple.com and that convinced me the science is probably on the money, but I can't engineer such a big lifestyle change in myself. My lunches tend to be paleo though. No grains, protein and tons of vegetables (and olive oil to dress it). Defintely makes you feel sated in a different way than a Pret baguette. You do get interesting cravings when you try and give up bread etc as well. Never broke on through to the other side with this one.

The kind of "I'm a caveman" schtick I actually find a little embarassing. They call him "Grok" and develop all kinds of exercise regimes based on what he might've done. It's a combination of geekiness and fantasy role play which is a bit mortifying

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the amount of conflicting advice on what to eat is bamboozling. in this diet, are brown rice and other unrefined carbs considered ok, or do they need to be strictly limited and part-replaced with protein?

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
The kind of "I'm a caveman" schtick I actually find a little embarassing. They call him "Grok" and develop all kinds of exercise regimes based on what he might've done. It's a combination of geekiness and fantasy role play which is a bit mortifying

This part sounds great to me. =D

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
You're totally not going to be on board with the "Level 17 dark-elf sorceror diet", then...

(Getting there before Tea does...)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You're totally not going to be on board with the "Level 17 dark-elf sorceror diet", then...

(Getting there before Tea does...)

Elixir of Nightberry is on BOGOF at Whole Foods right now, so really there's never been a better time. Adds d6 to your Charm when trying to pull fat goth chicks.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Can anyone recommend a good book / resource on indian vegetarian cooking? I'm sort of alright at it but would like to dig deeper. Some sort of Indian equivalent of Fuschia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice would be amazing...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also I recently discovered that you can put smoked paprika and celery salt in egg mayo and it becomes a sort of veggie crack, it's amazing.

OMG you evil horrible classist! This should probably go in PBIDMHI, but it'll go here anyway: No, Your Favorite Food Is Not Like Crack (by P. O. Faced, age 13 and 3/4)

I guess it's 'classist' because only a poor person would ever use a drug you can easily spend hundreds of pounds on in a single day...right?

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Good re-up of this thread, VV & Tea.

Chicken and chestnuts is a pretty interesting combination - made a Chinese stew with them this week (with ginger, Shaoxing wine, rice vinegar, spring onions, soy etc), turned out really well - enough starch gets released from the chestnuts during cooking to give a really nice consistency without the need for any other thickeners