martin

----
don't want to start waxing lyrically about the wonder of life else Martin will damn me for a hippy next time he sees me.

Oh, wax away, don't mind me. I once sat through a presentation by some druids in the chill-out room at Megatripolis, y'know.

Though a bevvy at some point sounds like a plan, I need that red curry recipe off you...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If the government just handed out free dream catchers to everyone I'm sure everything would be just peachy in no time.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
who'd they experiment on and which culture were they from ?

huh...where'd it go ? i musta slept in that day. got a link please ?

nothing is as it seems and is that compared to the time when humans didn't believe. you know this how ?

America.

A "link"? It's not one double-blind frickin study for crying out loud. You don't have control over a) your genes, b) their expression c) the world around you, which works according a bunch of deterministic laws and forces that can't be/aren't broken, etc. etc. etc., d) anything.

What the hell is that last question even asking. People believe in god now. The world is far from a supremely ethical place. Period.

mixed_biscuits

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I don't want to get fixated on religion - my argument is simply that a man-made, false belief may on occasion be more useful to us than one that is true.

Many would argue that moral objectivity itself is a false belief that nevertheless must be believed to be true in order to serve its purpose. Error theory and whatnot. Religion just shifts that objectivity to another claim (the existence of God).

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
If we have to go to another culture to access "It" - whatever "it" is it's pretty useless surely in terms of our everyday lives?

not so much that but bringing back some of the good things (which exclude fucking virgins to cure AIDS) about more traditional cultures... and not necessarily far away, it could be older versions of your own - for example i'm sure ancient Celtic mysticism has a lot to teach us if we looked. as far as everyday life, we can create new personal mythology which echo old forms; as you said mediation; the practice of ritual which bonds people together outside of the work-leisure cycle; more closely knit communities, clandestinity, etc.

I think it is right under our noses most of the time or in our dreams every night, we just chose not to notice it. - thats the point of most meditational practices, to just start PAYING ATTENTION.

i agree. and i think learning from the vast storehouse of cultural riches of the past certainly can help us do these things you mention.

met this film director guy recently in his 50s, telling me about his transcendental meditation practice. along same vein as Lynch, but not concerned with flying, more about clearing headspace and becoming more attentive... after 6 months he notices a huge difference, able to control his thoughts better, etc.

nomadthethird

I don't want to get fixated on religion - my argument is simply that a man-made, false belief may on occasion be more useful to us than one that is true.

This is also a humanist canard.

I don't think belief systems have anything to do with human behavior. And within the next 200-300 years, we'll probably throw that word out like yesterday's garbage.

nomadthethird

for example i'm sure ancient Celtic mysticism has a lot to teach us if we looked.

I actually agree with this. Of course it does. Even just so we can understand the world and the cultures that exist now, it's good to know something about the older or ancient ones that they're founded in. Same goes for monotheistic religions like Christianity or Judaism, which I'm clearly not a fan of, but which I obviously think are worth learning about and trying to understand/contextualize/etc.

I think it would be fun to drop a bunch of acid or whatever and hang out near stonehenge, like when Hawkwind gave those concerts there. I'm won't front, I would probably do that and have a good time.

Most people here are into all of this stuff like you are, you know, even if everyone doesn't have time and money and energy and care enough to collect every record ever pressed in Tanzania.

swears

preppy-kei
I actually agree with this. Of course it does. Even just so we can understand the world and the cultures that exist now, it's good to know something about the older or ancient ones that they're founded in. Same goes for monotheistic religions like Christianity or Judaism, which I'm clearly not a fan of, but which I obviously think are worth learning about and trying to understand/contextualize/etc.

Yeah, kids should be taught about all the major faiths from an early age. If anything, they'd at least learn that the belief system they're growing up in is as contingent as anything else.