IdleRich

IdleRich
In Russia there is a common belief that they massaged (IE lied about) figures showing life expectancy so they could claim an increase and then justify raising the retirement age. Certainly that change meant Liza's dad died before he could retire...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Zahawi is now being investigated for truly epic levels of tax avoidance (or maybe tax evasion, never understood the difference between those). He seems like a right slippery cunt, even by contemporary Tory standards.

Leo

It also means a bunch of younger people will have paid in for other people's pensions but will never get one themselves.

does it? that would be the case if pensions disappeared entirely. even if the retirement age gets moved back to 68, that bunch of younger people will still eventually get their pensions, albeit a few years later.

the ones who are screwed are those who paid into the system their entire lives and then died before they reached whatever the retirement age is at the time. but then, that's always been the case, regardless of retirement age.

Leo

Zahawi is now being investigated for truly epic levels of tax avoidance (or maybe tax evasion, never understood the difference between those). He seems like a right slippery cunt, even by contemporary Tory standards.

it was all an honest mistake, tea.

version

the ones who are screwed are those who paid into the system their entire lives and then died before they reached whatever the retirement age is at the time. but then, that's always been the case, regardless of retirement age.

Right, but as they keep putting the retirement age up that's an increasing number of people.

IdleRich

IdleRich

I'm surprised to hear that. As you do know, they are both of course ways of reducing the amount of tax you pay.

Avoidance is reducing your liability legally by, I dunno, exploiting one of the countless billions of loopholes created for the purposes of a) lowering the tax burden of anyone wealthy enough to have a personal accountant that understands them and b) raising the wages of anyone who understands them well enough to be employed as a personal accountant by the super-rich.

Evasion is the less sneaky but more illegal way of lowering your tax bill by simply lying about how much you earned or claiming that the value of Trump Tower (for instance) is somehow much less for tax purposes than it is when it is used to secure a loan

IdleRich

IdleRich
A cynic night say that evasion is the kind of honest, straightforward stealing that almost anyone can have a crack at, whereas avoidance is the sort of sophisticated chicanery that is so much the preserve of the ultarich that they made it legal.

Last edited:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Nominations instead of bastards:

Cunts
Flibbertigibbets
Lengths
Masters and Commanders
Melts
Cleft Palates
Should Have Been Shot At Birth(s)
Occult Science
Lying Machine
National Disgrace
Tax Avoidance Schemes
Ponzi Politics
Seen the Head on Caroline Nokes
Fields of Wheat
Rees-Mogg Headkick
Genocide
Gove.gov.uk/cocaine
Etonitis
Necrophilic Hierophants

Leo

a crazy part of this story -- aside from the blatant lying and sleaziness -- is the way these fuckers just keep getting promoted to higher positions. so many of the incidents mentioned here are based on his failure to raise the investigation upon his promotion to a new position, WTF?

it's really no wonder why people want to burn the whole thing to the ground.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Zahawi denounces the “smears” and denies any knowledge of an HMRC investigation, 13 months after he was interviewed by tax officials about his affairs. He tells Sky News: “I was clearly being smeared. I was being told the Serious Fraud Office, the National Crime Agency, the HMRC are looking into me. I’m not aware of this. I’ve always declared my taxes, I paid my taxes in the UK.” He did not correct the record until January 2023. Magnus finds this to have been “inconsistent with the requirement for openness” on ministers

So Zahawi had been being investigated and also had known about it for ages, but when articles were written stating this truth he denied everything and denounced the articles as smears - I'd say "inconsistent with the requirement for openness" is a huge understatement, I'd have gone for "Absolutely massive and outrageous outright lie" myself.

Still, can't blame ministers for trying when they saw Johnson blatantly lying all the time, shitting all over the code left, right and centre - and yet somehow never being ruled to have broken it.

Leo

I haven't paid attention, Truss is trying a comeback? So soon, after that utter disaster of a PM tenure? She was a joke, is anyone falling for it? Why would anyone fall for it? Completely shameless fuckers.

version

Yeah, she's just published an article in The Telegraph blaming the "left-wing economic establishment," and she's got a filmed interview with The Spectator coming up.