shakahislop

sort of related, was reading this about how certain films drive gentrification.

@Corpsey don't you live in Peckham? Is the article accurate?
gentrification and immigration have some kind of similarity i think. in that both of them are in part about a new type of person coming into a geography and changing it, and the people who were there before have no control over that process. it's broader than that obviously but there is some common ground.

shakahislop

i also finally got to grips....well in a hazy way...with the 1900s-today history of harlem yesterday morning. which is basically:

iproperty developers build a load of lush fancy houses for rich people to move into, in a good location, in manhattan, easy to get to midtown, an extention of the upper west and upper east sides. it totally failed as property speculation due to the great depression, economic downturn. black people couldn't live hardly anywhere in nyc coz of discrimination redlining etc, and were dispersed around the city rather than there being specific black neighborhoods are there were later, and they all moved up into this suddenly available cheap and nice housing. then a flowering of black culture in harlem, ie the harlem renaissance, somewhat marcus garvey inspired. then nonetheless everyone is still fucked by redlining, only being able to get low wage jobs, discrimination in education etc, gradually turns into all these people crammed into houses with lodgers etc that were built for single families, a lot of poverty. then heroin arrives in the 50s and fucks everything further, the city goes through the 70s bankrupt phase, the dangerous and lawless nyc that everyone knows about emerges, shit gets hairy, crack arrives in the 80s and further further fucks everything, landlords start burning down their buildings for insurance or otherwise let them decay

then usual nyc story of how everything gets more organized and law abiding in the 90s and 00, then the usual gentrification story, with an added component of african immigration

within all of this as well there's the emergence of jazz, hiphop and graffiti, not just from harlem but it seems to have been a big player in all of these forms, and they're three pretty central and influential forms in culture nowadays obviously. oh and a$ap rocky

sus

150 pages. An important accomplishment. Hate me all you want dweebs, I will not and cannot be defeated. The board could continue on for a century and the reign of Gus would still deserve a chapter

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@Clinamenic So are you no longer doing crypto as in coins? But still pursuing blockchain as a philosophical thing in terms of approaches to how to runs things or whatever. I can't even understand any of that
Pretty much yeah. I haven't been actively investing in over a year, but I still hold most of my initial investments.

I work in a nonprofit sector of web3, mostly around DAOs (decentralized autonomous organizations) and civic applications of this technology. A lot of it is at the intersection of public goods and lobbying.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Its incredibly esoteric and ahead of its time, and ahead of the regulatory regime. There is a sort of power to be found there, in building out systems faster than the regulatory regime can account for them. Much of this is arguably headed toward the establishment of certain self-regulatory bodies.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Of course, our milieu places a much higher emphasis on compliance than does the average web3 user (IE mostly retail investors), but in our case our compliance considerations are largely speculatively proactive, in that we have to make informed estimations about how the regulatory regime will coevolve in response to what is being built.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
This year I'll probably have made $19k to $22k, which I'm really surprised by, considering I don't have a boss and I'm working in a nonprofit sector. This is why I'm building out a consultancy, irrespective of the fact that, with my lifestyle, I'll be able to coast on my inheritance for quite a while.