thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Thirdform actually DMed me and praised my seamless transition into capitalism, saying he's been trying to do just that for years but got "stuck" on Bordiga.

If that consoles you then I'll let you claim that. I did tell you though accelerationism is for maladjusted English people, and you somehow disqualify through a bizarre one drop or four drop rule. 96 drops genocidal settler colonial maniac, 4 drops native American. #Murika.

This is how they claim that Boris Johnson was Turkish even though his great grandfather got publically lynched to death. True story.

sus

(4/100) Gary Allen, "Best I Ever Had"

There was a lot of trashy country around growing up. A radio station called K-PIG. Some Keith Urban, Gary Allen, the aforementioned Dixie Chicks CDs. Our town is pretty heavily agricultural, and the county has some less affluent areas, so white trash rural culture was more prevalent than you'd expect from California.

This is stuff that even I think is trash. I would consider setting my Spotify history to private if I were to put one of these records on. Still, I always loved "Best I Ever Had." It's got that combination of upbeat and downbeat, happy and sad.

An acquaintance of mine made national news circa 2015 as the "Venmo drug dealer," got busted with tens of thousands of dollars of transactions. He'd written an op-ed in our campus newspaper right after the yearly spring music festival, bragging about how many people had bought his stuff for the concert. That led to the college siccing NYPD on his ass. Anyway, he caught a whiff that they were on to him and started dumping all his inventory; I was able to buy a fat pile of DMT and synthetic H for cheap. I thought it would be an interesting experiment to H-maxx and burn through the entire, massive stash for a few months, see where I landed. I had this sorta sick desire, after seeing so many movie depictions, to see what withdrawals were like.

They were predictably terrible! Couldn't sleep for a week, wasn't happy for a month. Terrible terrible full body restless leg stuff. I started running to try to get dopamine and tire myself out. But I learned a lot. It was wild seeing how deeply chemical my emotions were/are, and how real they felt even when I knew that. At one point I thought I'd ruined my brain forever. "I'll never be happy again" I told a mate, and started tearing up. Really pathetic, a sort of waste of life and time, but I guess that's what being young's for.

Anyway, further down the line I'll write up a few songs that got me through that period, but Gary Allen's "Best I Ever Had" was one of them. Lot of nostalgia there, and the emotional valence was right.

Honorable mention Gary Allen:

And posting a Keith Urban track I remember from being a kiddie. Super saccharine corny stuff.

sus

(5/100) James Blunt, "1973"

I almost forgot about Blunt which would've been a bummer because he was the primary (only?) British import in our house.

I still love this song! I'll stan for this song forever. It was my first exposure to the concept of the 70s as the 70s, if that makes any sense. There was plenty of 70s music around growing up—swim meets always played Led Zeppelin and America and Journey; my dad was a Harry Chapin obsessive. But this was about the 70s as a source of nostalgia. Naturally, I associate this one with Smashing Pumpkins' "1979" and to a lesser extent Taylor Swift's 1989 and the band The 1975.

I think my parents really liked Back to Bedlam, "You're Beautiful" etc. I'm sure we had the bleeped version. Undeniably catchy hook. But they played this followup record a decent chunk too. I think this was shared music, I think even my grandma liked James Blunt, which felt a bit racy to me—Grandma humming along to a bleeped "fucking high." They liked Love Actually and they liked James Blunt. Middle class Americans are suckers for corny British culture. This is a whole subplot of Love Actually! My parents always felt above the weird celebrity obsession Americans have for British royalty, but my grandma and aunt bond over it pretty regularly. It's funny the little distinctions that solidly middle-class people make, culturally. My grandma was also a school teacher so she turns her nose up at all sorts of trashy books and mags, even poo-poos on the royalty stuff a bit, but any excuse to bond with a daughter she'll take it. On the other hand, "high culture" and "literature" to these folks looks like Stephen King, The Great Gatsby, and National Public Radio.

I didn't really like any of this music growing up, or at least, once I started having opinions about music circa age 10/11 I immediately & whole-heartedly rejected it. But now I have a lot of nostalgia for James Blunt's nostalgia for an unlived 1973. I guess that's the way the world works.

Gonna post "You're Beautiful" too, just in case any of my fellow Young American's haven't heard it:

sus

(1B/100) More of a supplement to #1, because there’s no clear song here, just some soundtrack work and elaborations of earlier themes

I'm re-posting the deleted 1B supplement because I'm not scared of Padraig anymore. Until probably age 11 or 12 I would've said Gettysburg was my favorite film. It was sprawlingly long, epic, historical drama. Thousands of reenactors playing out the infantry and cavalry line-movements I'd tracked in historical diagrams. It was everything in the books come to life. I subjected my third-grade teacher to a short story I’d written about the Battle of Gettysburg, researched primarily by watching the film. I was obsessed with Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, and dragged a stack of books home from the library circa 2004 to write the missing Wikipedia page “Colonel Chamberlain,” only to have it deleted the next morning by a moderator explaining there was already an existing page under the man’s full name. The Gettysburg soundtrack has a kind of corny, dated sounded orchestral/acoustic-guitar sound to it, but I love it dearly. The slowed down “Dixie” always seemed superior to the usual, quick whistling tune—but maybe that’s my mom’s musical prejudices showing. No, I was never a Confederate sympathizer. No, I would never hum "Dixie" in public. No, I do not listen to "Dixie" now. But when I was 9 you'll have to forgive me for not understanding the continuing symbolic valences of "Dixie" 150 years after the war. There it is.

luka

i quite like the song tonite tho tbf. im not watching the video. im taking it back. i like when she says she gets a little lonely. so insincere. it sounds like rustie.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

i was so appaled by the video i couldnt hear it. i actually like it. sorry gus. rustie pop.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

i never noticed how much processing funny cute stuff was going on with the vocals cos of how grossed out i was by her gawky dancing. very shallow of me.