rubberdingyrapids

whats he been good in? i hated le donk and scorsayzee - total fail if you wanted a british answer to cb4 or fear of a black hat (both shane meadows and considine seemed to have no real affection for rap at all) and thought he was the worst kind of smug in submarine.

just looked up wiki - i forgot i liked my summer of love. i think i even liked emily blunt in that one.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
submarine looked like a wes anderson film, so he had no chance in that. he was brilliant in dead man's shoes. and my summer of love, as you said. And Red Riding. Last Resort too.

I don't mind Emily Blunt. Although in saying so, I may have just christened a new mental illness.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the aussies do violent dramas better than anyone, it seems. animal kingdom is top drawer too

keep meaning to watch jindabyne, but it sounds traumatic and i'm not sure i can any longer see gabriel byrne as anyone other than 'Paaaal' of In Treatment

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Saw Django and I feel like it's the comeback for Tarantino because I really resented Basterds.

Rewatched Mongol, still think it's one of the greatest Action/Dramas of the last decade or so.

*shrugs and sleeps*

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Funny, I watched Tintin in France with a big Tintin fan. I know it's Belgian but I think that the French have a big investment in it too... anyway, I thought the film was ok, it's the first 3d film I've seen, but he went mental, when we went home he just sat there watching the eighties tv cartoon repeatedly trying to clear this new aberration from his mind, he was practically in tears, he wouldn't talk again until he'd watched hours of that and slept and we'd kinda tacitly agreed to never talk about it again.

I just watched Tintin based on your anecdote. I don't know why but bad reviews pique my interest more than the good ones. I really liked Tintin a lot! I watched it in two dimensions. Maybe that helped. I am a Tintin fan, maybe not a fan, but I like the comics and the 60s/70s cartoons a lot. I don't know. I thought it was weird and fun. Well done, all said.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In saying that, I was anticipating a wave of hate for Ms Blunt - she's the kind of actor I perceive lots of people hate, though I have nothing against her myself. On a different note (one more suited to another thread on here), she is incredibly pretty, and I rarely say that about movie actors these days.

rubberdingyrapids

there is reason to hate her. like the adjustment bureau. i thought she wasnt bad in looper though, even if i couldnt stop thinking that i was just watching emily blunt acting (quite well) as an american southerner the whole time.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
that's a shocking film, true. funnily enough it didn't make me hate her though, just the people who made the film. maybe it's something about keira knightley being many times worse.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Blunt is magnificent. She is not in magnificent films, I will admit, but she is usually magnificent, and the films do not dull her magnificence. I can imagine people despising her for class reasons, or because she is related to a Tory MP. But that would be, of course, petty, tiny-minded. Her 2008 Bafta frock is one the greatest things I have ever seen with my very own eyes.

rubberdingyrapids

i didnt know anyone thought, or could think emily blunt is, was, or could be magnificent. what film has she been magnificent in? i want to see it. unless by magnificent, you mean 'i want to shag her brains out'.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched a Russian film called Of Freaks and Men on the weekend. Dreamlike - or maybe filmlike would be better because it seems to be set in early-twentieth century film complete with jerky movements from the film speed and at times silent complete with surtitles. It reminds me of Guy Maddin at times although I think that may just be down to the sepia tones and atmosphere. This film isn't so directionless although it's pretty odd.
The film is about cheap s&m photos created by the expressionless Johann in cellars in St Petersburg and then distributed to the maids of the rich by the bizarrely toothed Victor. So I guess the film is about exploitation and the emergence of film and how its potential has been wasted and so on and so forth. Just read a decent review here and he also mentions Maddin although I have to say he makes the film sound a lot more provocative than it is.

When I first saw Alexei Balabanov's Of Freaks and Men at the Edinburgh Film Festival in 1998, I thought it was touch and go whether a film quite so original, provocative, perverse and calculatedly offensive - not to mention weird in the extreme - would get British distribution at all, not least because the number of Russian films to be granted that honour over the last decade could literally be counted on the fingers of one hand.
http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id/3496/of-freaks-and-men.html

Premium Rush - thrilling high speed cycling scenes with Manhattan looking like a very sunlit, exciting version of itself. By no means perfect (there's a flash mob :eek: ) but recommended with no other reservations.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
McLibel - about the two campaigners (from Haringey, no less) who took on McDonalds during the 1990s, and refused to say sorry. Inspiring, and also featuring some incredibly funny/disturbing footage of McD's child mind control techniques.