zhao

there are no accidents
going to try to go see White Ribbon tonight, if we can find an english subtitle version here... the previews are pretty uncanny.

yeah Tropical Malady... i love the singing part :) have you seen Blissfully Yours? love that one too. strange, funny and indescribable.

also in keeping with recent bitch-fest topics, anyone see Paranormal Phenomenon? is it as scary as people say it is?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"yeah Tropical Malady... i love the singing part have you seen Blissfully Yours? love that one too. strange, funny and indescribable."
No, TM is the only one of his I've seen... apart from the shorts that came on the same dics. Enjoyed those too.

stephenk

going to try to go see White Ribbon tonight, if we can find an english subtitle version here... the previews are pretty uncanny.

yeah Tropical Malady... i love the singing part :) have you seen Blissfully Yours? love that one too. strange, funny and indescribable.

also in keeping with recent bitch-fest topics, anyone see Paranormal Phenomenon? is it as scary as people say it is?

blissfully yours is an alltime favorite...aside from plot and everything else, i will love it forever for how the opening credits come in 50 minutes through the movie to some hypnotic driving jam while they drive through super lush thai roads, blissful for sure

zhao

there are no accidents
blissfully yours is an alltime favorite...aside from plot and everything else, i will love it forever for how the opening credits come in 50 minutes through the movie to some hypnotic driving jam while they drive through super lush thai roads, blissful for sure

hahaha yeah... he just seems to fuck with your expectations where his intuition tells him to, with zero regard for consistency or rules of narrative.

and later the captions: in the next scene this happens. and it does. and the next caption: in this scene that happens. and it doesn't!!! :D

remember the part where the husband starts eating moisturizing hand lotion???? and the picture goes all fuzzy around the corners. hahahaha....

and that close up shot of the girls' eyelids flutterling while she falls asleep after the blowjob... cut to 10 seconds of clouds in the sky. amazing.

have you seen his recent sci-fi spaceman one? i missed it at a festival... but did see his short about the recent sunami with the child going around doing funny stuff. sweet as can be.

run_time

caught Johnny Mad Dog this arvo...not for the light hearted but gripping, taking to a place you're glad you're not at

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Currently quite interested in seeing Martyrs, Antichrist, Up, The White Ribbon, Mesrine pt 2, Johnny Mad Dog, Fantastic Mr Fox...

Watched half of a documentary called 'Made in Jamaica' last night, about reggae/dancehall. Has loads of big names in it - Bounty Killer, Bunny Wailer, Third World, Capleton, Vybz Kartel... A bit slapdash and incoherant perhaps, but some amazing performances.

stephenk

hahaha yeah... he just seems to fuck with your expectations where his intuition tells him to, with zero regard for consistency or rules of narrative.

and later the captions: in the next scene this happens. and it does. and the next caption: in this scene that happens. and it doesn't!!! :D

remember the part where the husband starts eating moisturizing hand lotion???? and the picture goes all fuzzy around the corners. hahahaha....

and that close up shot of the girls' eyelids flutterling while she falls asleep after the blowjob... cut to 10 seconds of clouds in the sky. amazing.

have you seen his recent sci-fi spaceman one? i missed it at a festival... but did see his short about the recent sunami with the child going around doing funny stuff. sweet as can be.

yeah that all really contributes to how much of a daydream the whole thing is
there's various bits of menace from the obnoxious older lady and the guy being an illegal immigrant with a skin disease, but none of it seems to matter that much

i haven't seen those new ones, definitely need to but i'm mostly watching stuff from torrents lately (out of laziness) and i don't know how soon i'll get a chance

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
caught Johnny Mad Dog this arvo...not for the light hearted but gripping, taking to a place you're glad you're not at

Just saw it, I thought it was a brilliant brilliant brilliant film, it beats 'Come and See' as going to the top of my list of the best war films ever. I was in bits at the end of it. Really can't recommend it enough.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched The Reflecting Skin which someone (Empty Mirror I think among others) was bigging up and yeah that was well worth seeing - thanks for that tip. Really, surprisingly, unremittingly dark and filled with that kind of off-kilter imagery which I guess has become kind of a cliche over the years. Pretty fucking fresh in this film though and just really unexpected the way it ends. Absolutely takes no prisoners. I'm really digging this American Gothic kind of thing at the moment (saw Wisconsin Death Trip recently) and I'd be up for more, what's good? I'm talking books as well I guess.

STN

sou'wester
book-wise try Twilight by William Gay (not the Stephanie Meyer one and nothing to do with it). Maybe, looking back, it will be a touch lurid and juvenile, but I remember really liking it.

mistersloane

Flannery O'Connor's work is really good American Gothic fiction, (see also Wiseblood the film) as is Geek Love by Katherine Dunn which is a must for anyone to read. I never got Faulkner though, he just seemed like a pisshead to me.

nochexxx

harco pronting
if you in the mood for something goofy and a bit naff, then may i big up this film. i couldn't help but warm to this.

more films with space botanists tending to their space forests please.

silentrunning.jpg

nochexxx

harco pronting
whoever recommended dirty little billy, big big thanks! absolute sickness! at last another film with proper heroes.

are there any other must see films with michael pollard?

Last edited:

grizzleb

Watched 'Come and See' last night, a 70's Belarusian film about WWII from the eyes of a teenager caught up in it. Powerful cinema, Herzog-esque in style. Highly reccomended.

mistersloane

Here's the trailer for 'Johnny Mad Dog'

I'm being a bit evangelical about it cos when I went there was only 3 people in the cinema and that was a crime.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for the tips, will check out.
Dirty Little Billy is a strange film, pretty cool though I reckon.
One of my friends was on about Mad Dog, think I'll check it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
if you in the mood for something goofy and a bit naff, then may i big up this film. i couldn't help but warm to this.

more films with space botanists tending to their space forests please.

classic, always meant to sample the line: "I suggest that you reach deep down inside yourself there and try and find something that'll keep you awake just a little while longer because this transmission coming up may just rekindle your will to live."

:)