lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
Der siebente Kontinent (1989) by Michael Haneke: matter-of-fact portrayal of a family who resolves upon committing suicide together; it doesn't get any bleaker than in the last minutes of this film. Arguably, Haneke's best.

Michael Haneke's masterful first film The Seventh Continent/Der Siebente Kontinent introduced concerns basic to the director's art, principal among them the notion that the “death of affect”, a key fixation of postmodernity, should not be a subject of cynical concelebration (as it seems to be for many artists of the moment). Rather, Haneke views the end of affect, which is to say the acceptance of alienation as an inevitable and rather “hip” state of being, as a profound sickness that serious art no longer interrogates, the standard postmodern view being that its study is a naïve and dated preoccupation.

S

simon silverdollar

I saw 'Enter the Void' last night - it really is a technical tour de force... it's also slightly overlong and some of the acting is a bit dodgy... it's not as harsh as his last two either but it will still annoy/upset lots of people I think... glad I saw it though...

yeah i was tempted to leave a third of the way through, irritated by the dodgy acting and the droning drugbore dialogue - but pleased i stayed till the end - last half hour or so is, uh, bracing innit?

nochexxx

harco pronting
anyone here seen Shanks?
Shanks+Marcel+Marceau+3.jpg

a horror film aficionado mate recommended it. i'd not heard of director Willaim Castle before. any of his other films worth watching? i found the movie weirdly compelling, forced me to question certain ideas. it's unlike anything i've seen before, a shame the film falls apart towards the end imo.

the director was also renowned for promotional gimmicks, which made me chuckle.

Director William Castle will always be remembered more for his gimmicks than his actual movies. The number of people who know about his offering of life insurance for moviegoers who went to see Macabre far exceeds those who have actually seen the movie. People still chuckle today about the gimmick behind The Tingler - electric buzzers were placed under the theater seats and buzzed at the appropriate time - but how many of them have actually taken the time to see the movie?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i'd not heard of director Willaim Castle before. any of his other films worth watching?

I like William Castle, Strait-Jacket is great, The Tingler isn't bad at all, House on Haunted Hill is great. Joe Dante (Gremlins) did a film based on him called Matinee which is very sweet, but I like Joe Dante too.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Machete was fun. this sad hipster wants to know more about authentic Grindhouse or other types of low grade boundary blowing cinema. the stuff these new school hacks have picked apart.

IdleRich

IdleRich
'fraid not. I watched Mirror the Tarkovsky thing for the first time the other day and I can't believe I waited so long to see it. I was completely blown away, it's an overwhelmingly beautiful masterpiece with amazing psychedelic scenes and actual newsreel footage and which, unusually for something with such an epic feel, retains a real poignancy in the actual story despite it's disjointed and confusing nature. It might even be better than Stalker, Solaris, The Sacrifice etc

I also watched a film by Costas-Gravas called State of Siege - pretty ace but not on the same level. Though what is?

craner

Beast of Burden
Anyway, I was about to go on about Knife in the Water being my favorite Polanski -- mainly because I've gone right off all the others, apart from possibly Chinatown, although I haven't watched that all the way through in a long time. I've had a dispassionate interest and admiration for his films for years that, actually, when I think about it properly, falls to pieces guite quickly.

Repulsion -- neurotic, quite silly.
Cul-de-sac -- very tedious, just twaddle.
Fearless Vampire Killers -- unwatchable, not even as funny as Lust for a Vampire.
Rosemary's Baby -- pretty gauche and hollow, as becomes clear at the ludicrous conclusion.
Macbeth -- this is still decent, to be fair.
What? -- I retain a soft spot for this, despite itself, but, I mean, it's not good.
Chinatown -- is great, yes.
The Tenant -- about as over-rated as they come, as tedious as Cul-de-sac and pointlessly neurotic as Repulsion
Tess -- almost as boring as Hardy's prose.
Frantic -- super right up until the end which then destroys the whole movie and you never want to watch it again.

And then everything after this, apart from The Pianist, is chewing-your-hands-off stuff. Knife in the Water is the one -- focused, tense, obsessive, stylish. He never bettered it.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Macbeth -- this is still decent, to be fair.
Chinatown -- is great, yes.
The Tenant -- about as over-rated as they come, as tedious as Cul-de-sac and pointlessly neurotic as Repulsion

The three best, i think. The Tenant is excellent.

I wathced one Tarkovsky. Might have been a bad one, but boy, was it bad. From 1983 - says something that i can remember that and not the title.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Agree about Knife In The Water being brilliant...but not better than Chinatown...enjoyed The Tenant for its absurdity and Rosemary's Baby for many reasons, not least Ruth Gordon's part...
...as for Tarkovsky, Stalker is stunning, visually, if in no other sense....

Last edited:

BSquires

'fraid not. I watched Mirror the Tarkovsky thing for the first time the other day and I can't believe I waited so long to see it. I was completely blown away, it's an overwhelmingly beautiful masterpiece with amazing psychedelic scenes and actual newsreel footage and which, unusually for something with such an epic feel, retains a real poignancy in the actual story despite it's disjointed and confusing nature. It might even be better than Stalker, Solaris, The Sacrifice etc

Great film - up there with Solaris for me... I saw this at the ICA assuming, as a midland's yokel, that the said venue was a bastion of learned film appreciation. I sat there with my girlfriend eating my clown-shaped marshmallow lollipop - as I said we were yokels out in 'the smoke' enjoying what it had to offer - and the guy in front of me turns around and starts laughing at my snack... Never mind, I thought as a hayseed with a comedy confection we should expect derision from a sophisticated Londoner... ten minutes later and we quietly are enjoying the Russian misery when the same guy lets rip with a huge fart! All my foolish illusions about sophisticated southern intellectuals and the ICA smashed in one moment...

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Watched 'A Serious Man' last night. Seems like a semi-autobiographical Coen Brothers film (not that I know a great deal about what their early life was like, I'm just imagining). It was a bit like 'Burn After Reading' in that most of the characters didn't seem to have much of a clue. Also probably the most Jewish film I've ever seen

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
hmmn.

The Mirror is my fave Tarkovsky.
Knife in the Water is my fave Polanski.

Every vote counts?

Yeah, just watched "Blind Beast".
Kinda too soon for me to say anything about it.
"Enjoyed" it a lot.
:eek:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The Mirror is my fave Tarkovsky.
Knife in the Water is my fave Polanski."
Maybe so but it seems to me that Tarkovsky is on a completely different level to Polanski. One is a good filmmaker the other is an impossibly gifted poetic genius. I just read this quote relating to Mirror

Mirror is the closest art has ever been to portraying the mystical experience of one spiritually sensitive individual. The second hand experience can never be as profound as that from your own being. But an odd and sad experience comes from watching Mirror, the belief that your own interpretation of the world will never be so deeply poetic or deep as Tarkovsky's, and the world you see on the cinema screen seems more vivid and alive than real life ever will.
It seems pretty hyperbolic but when I was watching it with my flatmate and he was sitting there, open-mouthed whispering "how could someone make this film?" I guess I understood what it's getting at.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, just watched "Blind Beast".
Kinda too soon for me to say anything about it.
"Enjoyed" it a lot.
That's a sordid, nasty and possibly romantic little film. I liked it too. Have you seen The Bedroom? Similarly creepy Japanese weirdness but even better in my opinion.