Here's some further grimness from your old endz:

Basically an entire new "town" (read: gigantic dormitory) with no GP surgery, cafe, pub, or even a single shop.

_130347196_billboard.jpg.webp

Doesn't have to be that way https://www.newlubbesthorpe.co.uk/
The owner of the land was determined to have a proper living community develop, rather than just selling off to persimmon or whoever throws up the most shit houses at lowest cost these days.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Look, "shops" and "amenities" and "community" all sound very nice if you're living in some sort of latte-sipping metrosexual Hampstead liberal bubble but what Real Ordinary British People want is a box with a roof, two parking spaces and for property developers to make as much money as possible.

luka

Funny that this thread started off talking about the historic grimness of the 70s - I'm feeling like grim is increasingly the defining state of 2020s Britain. Maybe it's an actual post-Covid, post cost-of-living crisis, post-Brexit, post-Tory effect, maybe it's just that I've moved from Cambridge to Sheffield so I'm less insulated from it, but it feels like everything's basically falling apart and no-one has any concrete idea for how to do anything about it - or at least, anyone with any concrete idea for how to do anything about it is getting told to fuck off, stop being unrealistic and accept the endless grim reality.
it really is bad. i make obscene amounts of money off poetry so im insulated from it. i can buy nice things. but its still clearly fucked and the social contract is as decayed as it has been in decades. plus it all looks mean. meaness is basically what defines this place.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it really is bad. i make obscene amounts of money off poetry so im insulated from it. i can buy nice things. but its still clearly fucked and the social contract is as decayed as it has been in decades. plus it all looks mean. meaness is basically what defines this place.
There's a massive new development near me - well there are several, but there's this one in particular - where loads of people have bought houses in the expectation that there will be a school for their kids to go to in September. But they've had to pause building work on the school because it's got subsidence before it's even finished. So all these kids are going to have to be ferried around by special buses to other, no doubt already oversubscribed schools all over the city. We've become a joke country.

wild greens

yeah this is a big thing. massive devlopments with no facilities or infrastructure.

The new cultural centres on these stages are threefold - screwfix/toby carvery-travelodge hybrid/a co-op

The big thing about these massive developments is that they are a fucking shitshow structurally. My mate has recently gone into one near aveley and the snagging list is colossal, so many problems with the internal finish, the plumbing etc etc

They are not built to last. But then again neither is the current society right

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The new cultural centres on these stages are threefold - screwfix/toby carvery-travelodge hybrid/a co-op

The big thing about these massive developments is that they are a fucking shitshow structurally. My mate has recently gone into one near aveley and the snagging list is colossal, so many problems with the internal finish, the plumbing etc etc

They are not built to last. But then again neither is the current society right
Yeah, I wouldn't move into a newbuild for free. They're a fucking joke. Yet the pressure on housing on such is that the fuckers are sold before they're even complete.

sufi

lala
snobbery and rubbish - i lived in a "new build" the last 10 years it's brilliant
actually designed for modern life instead of your backward outdoors cludgey lifestyles
like a space station landed in the middle of your stuffy grim old decreptitude

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
snobbery and rubbish - i lived in a "new build" the last 10 years it's brilliant
actually designed for modern life instead of your backward outdoors cludgey lifestyles
like a space station landed in the middle of your stuffy grim old decreptitude
Well good for you - but a lot of others have been less lucky.

"Just over half of new-home owners have experienced major problems with their properties, including issues with construction, unfinished fittings and faults with utilities, according to a survey carried out by YouGov for the charity Shelter. And in the 2017 "national new home customer satisfaction survey", carried out by the National House-Building Council (NHBC), although 84% of respondents said they were satisfied with the overall quality of their new homes, a pretty staggering 98% said that they had reported problems with their home to their builder since moving in."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
talking out of yr arse again about another topic you know nothing about, blind with jealousy and little englander snobbery
Not my words, mate. Take it up with Shelter and YouGov.

That said, in my experience houses built within the last 30 or so years have stairs and floorboards that whistle when you walk on them, window frames that are already rotting, and walls and floors so thin you can lie in bed and hear people talking in the kitchen as if they were in the room with you. I've lived in houses like that, and my parents live in one now. The contrast between that and my rather boring but extremely solidly built 1930s semi is stark.