Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Isn't that a correct usage, in fact?

"Tan" being a colour long before it denoted an intentiionally induced skin state?

Hmm, well I see what you mean, but I'd still say it's more normal to call someone 'tanned', in that they have undergone signiticant tanning, rather than simply being the colour 'tan'. I mean, the word was a verb before it became a name for a colour, surely?

Edit: tan as a skin colour dates from the 17th century but as a verb (meaning to treat leather) it's Old English, from Latin and possibly Celtic - http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=tan&searchmode=none
"as a simple name for a brownish color, in any context, it is recorded from 1888."

Well they say you learn something new evey day...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

I'm pretty sure the color "tan" comes from "tawny", or is related to it in some way...

mms

sometimes
yes tanning leather is the process of turning animal skin to leather - which is amusing within the context of the orange leathery people who do it for beauty.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yes tanning leather is the process of turning animal skin to leather - which is amusing within the context of the orange leathery people who do it for beauty.

What on Earth do you mean, 'amusing'?
638_L1.jpg

N

nomadologist

People who think they know about U.S. history, and clearly have no clue. Especially when their belief systems tend toward bringing about WWIII. :mad:

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
The newsagent down the road who is always on the phone when you go in and never acknowledges you and just bangs things in the till and holds out his hand. Shoplifters of the world unite and rob this fucker blind, please.

zhao

there are no accidents
people sipping on their fresh drink, taking up space at the bar, preventing others to order. but then i find myself doing exactly that, and ignoring the people standing behind me... automatic credit card operated drink dispensers are obviously the logical way to go. but efficiency is not really what bar-hopping is all about is it...

STN

sou'wester
They tried automated beer dispeners in a pub in Victoria, London in the 1980s, people really didn't go for it at all.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
people sipping on their fresh drink, taking up space at the bar, preventing others to order. but then i find myself doing exactly that, and ignoring the people standing behind me... automatic credit card operated drink dispensers are obviously the logical way to go. but efficiency is not really what bar-hopping is all about is it...

People who sit or stand at the bar full-stop get on my tits and if they have their own tankard is double :)

swears

preppy-kei
Went to get a few bits and pieces in the supermarket last night, picked up a basket and was walking down to the milk and eggs aisle when some middle aged grump looks at me as we pass and says very clearly to his wife:

"Walking around with a fuckin' empty basket."

Sounded really angry too.

WTF?

I had just walked in. I hadn't spent two hours in a daze with nothing in there, ffs.

Any lame, pathetic excuse to slag someone off. Anything. Cunt.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
He has internalised the imperative to consume to the extent that he has become an unpaid basket patrol officer.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Went to get a few bits and pieces in the supermarket last night, picked up a basket and was walking down to the milk and eggs aisle when some middle aged grump looks at me as we pass and says very clearly to his wife:

"Walking around with a fuckin' empty basket."

Sounded really angry too.

WTF?

I had just walked in. I hadn't spent two hours in a daze with nothing in there, ffs.

Any lame, pathetic excuse to slag someone off. Anything. Cunt.

Hehehe I fucking hate supermarkets and everyone in them :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
...and people still buy it.

$5

Can't find anywhere that says this goes to any sort of charity at any level....:mad::mad::mad:

Whoah...if that really *is* nothing, and people really *are* buying it, then whoever came up with the idea deserves some sort of marketing Nobel Prize.

Also, I can't help but imagine swears' supermarket weirdo saying "Walking around with a fuckin' empty basket" in a West-country accent, just seems to fit somehow.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
People buy each other useless joke presents already. This "nothing" thing isn't really any different.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But at least with a bonsai potato kit or a hand-shaped mobile phone cradle you can kid yourself that you've given (or received) 'something'.