version

don't know exacly "what" is goin on but it's so grim and dark, right? middle east eye has a longer video: https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israeli-soldiers-use-man-human-shield-occupied-west-bank-video

Yeah, I've obviously no clue how real any of this stuff is, what the context is, where it's coming from, who's recording it, etc. But there's so much of it that if even a fraction's legit then it's bad enough. And it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's all true.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the fact that UNRWA has sacked the people accused of this rather than trying to fight their corner in any way is suspicious
It's probably true. It shouldn't be surprising that militants have day jobs, and that some of them work at one of the largest employers (maybe the largest? not sure) in Gaza. It's also a terrible reason to suspend aid. Something like a million and a half people are starving and you're going to suspend to the main organization trying to keep them alive bc a tiny % of its employees are linked to Oct 7.

Obviously it's, quite transparently, a punitive reaction to ICJ ruling, but getting rid of UNRWA is a longstanding Israeli fantasy/goal, closely tied to that other fantasy of ethnically cleansing Gaza and annexing the WB. the Israeli thinking is on crippling UNRWA is that responsibility for Palestinian refugees will be shifted to UNHCR which they see as more likely to fast-track resettlement. They also see UNRWA as tied to restitution claims by descendants of those displaced in 48 and/or 67. Basically, there is this idea that getting rid of UNRWA will magically solve Israel's Palestinian problems. It's more wishful thinking than reality but as I said, it's been an Israeli fantasy for a long time. This attack on UNRWA is slick and coordinated, i.e. the WSJ hit piece by a former IDF officer.

padraig (u.s.)

In re suspending aid, I could also mention that IDF soldiers have been charged with involvement in terrorism i.e.

And I don't hear any of the Western govts pearlclutching about UNRWA talking about suspending military aid to Israel

padraig (u.s.)

This caught me off guard, although talk is cheap.
Recognition is better than nothing but I'd wait to see what they or anyone actually means by "Palestinian state". If it's a chopped up WB mess where Israel retains full military control then it's not much of a step.

Having said that, there is an urgent need for some legally recognized Palestinian entity bc absent that I virtually guarantee the ultranationalist settlers will get their way. Like most fanatics, they care more about their achieviny goals than other Israelis - i.e. those who oppose resettlement of Gaza - do about stopping them.

padraig (u.s.)

droid

Yeah, I've obviously no clue how real any of this stuff is, what the context is, where it's coming from, who's recording it, etc. But there's so much of it that if even a fraction's legit then it's bad enough. And it wouldn't surprise me to learn it's all true.

droid

Utter destruction, funded, sponsored and supported by the same humanitarian interventionists who condemned Russia for their actions in Syria and Ukraine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Utter destruction, funded, sponsored and supported by the same humanitarian interventionists who condemned Russia for their actions in Syria and Ukraine.
While this is true, the reverse is true as well, in that some of the loudest anti-Israel voices are coming from pro-Russian "anti-imperialist" tankies.

Straight-up tribalism is unfortunately a lot more common than an actual consistent ethics of supporting victims and condemning oppressors.

droid

I must've missed the bit where Max Blumenthal defunded UNRWA, repeated genocidal propaganda in the media, offered diplomatic and logistics support, sent a fleet of heavily armed war ships to the region and shipped billions of dollars worth of advanced weaponry to Israel.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I must've missed the bit where Max Blumenthal defunded UNRWA, repeated genocidal propaganda in the media, offered diplomatic and logistics support, sent a fleet of heavily armed war ships to the region and shipped billions of dollars worth of advanced weaponry to Israel.
What the fuck are you talking about? Why would Blumenthal do that? I'm talking about attitudes to Russia, and Blumenthal is clearly 100% pro-Russian.

Please stop pretending the "anti-imperialist left" isn't packed to the rafters with Putinite bootlickers. Here's your hero Finkelstein literally defending Russia's invasion of Ukraine:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But he hates Israel, so he's one of the good guys, of course. Because that's the definition of 'good'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When exactly did the 'anti-imperialist left' "fund and sponsor" Russias war in Ukraine?
I never said they did, you fucking twat. I am aware that Joe Biden is president of the USA and Norman Finkelstein is not, oddly enough.

droid

I never said they did, you fucking twat. I am aware that Joe Biden is president of the USA and Norman Finkelstein is not, oddly enough.

Then why did you reply to this comment that was clearly referencing Western governments:

With such an idiotic and utterly fucking irrelevant response?

droid

Back on topic…

You know whats gonna be really funny? Watching Israeli refugees getting refused by every nation on the planet when the large scale demand for fossil fuels finally dries up and Israel is abandoned by the US whilst being ravaged by drought, heatwaves, forest fires and the myriad of other cataclysms climate change will wreak on the middle east.