Help Needed: Dumpling House

Chuu

Well La Di Bloody Da
OK, so.

Having returned to New York after 6 months back in London I have begun to re-frequent Vanessa's $2 dumpling house.

Why can I not find one of these in London!?!? I am sure that if someone set one up in Shoreditch/Soho it would do ridiculously good business.

Honestly, we need to get with the times.

$1.50 (£1.00) Fried Pork and Chive Dumplings
6a00e55181b026883400e553bcfd918833-200wi

$2.25 (£1.50) Peking Duck Pancake
2943880004_0f63c90c8c.jpg

[/rant]

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
VANNESSA IS 4 YUPPIES

ALLEN ST DUMPLINGs 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS. U R RIGHT, LONDON CHINATOWN FOOD SUX! HEADACHE BUFFET OR OVERPRICED... YUCK!)

THINGS YOU COULD MAKE A MILLION OFF OF IN LONDON:

TACO TRUCK
ACTUAL DECENT HAMBURGERS
BUFFALO WINGS
ACTUAL DECENT PIZZA

sufi

lala
dumpling house, so where is that on the 'nuum????

happy hardcore<---------------------------- ?dumpling?------------------------------->morose minimal

mos dan

fact music

TACO TRUCK
ACTUAL DECENT HAMBURGERS
BUFFALO WINGS
ACTUAL DECENT PIZZA

totally - i would happily spend plenty on the above, and dumplings... never been a fan of our chinatown really.

i used to lament the lack of burritos too, but we have mucho mas on upper st now, which does them properly (i.e. production line style, cheap yet good quality and substantial).

other great grab-it-and-run snack food i love is gozleme, the turkish savoury pancakes with spinach, cheese and/or potato. you can get a massive great one of these for £2 on kingsland road, and elsewhere £2 ain't gonna buy you much these days.. maybe 1 piece of chicken and chips.

crackerjack

VANNESSA IS 4 YUPPIES

(PS. U R RIGHT, LONDON CHINATOWN FOOD SUX! HEADACHE BUFFET OR OVERPRICED... YUCK!)

TACO TRUCK
ACTUAL DECENT HAMBURGERS
BUFFALO WINGS
ACTUAL DECENT PIZZA

The best fast food catering opportunity at the moment is... decent middle class lunches in the Kings Cross area. The Guardian has just moved there from Clerkenwell and my mate's taking sadnwiches to work every day, cos the only alternative is the fast food round Euston Rd or the M&S etc in the stations.

Healthy organic ethically-sourced hand-knitted pasta/falaffel/mungbeans/a.n. stereotype will clean up (and I'll take 10% for the tip, ta)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are certainly decent burgers to be had in London - Hamburger Union, Ultimate Burger etc. - and yes, they're quite pricey, but they are pretty good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"THINGS YOU COULD MAKE A MILLION OFF OF IN LONDON:

TACO TRUCK"
You would think that... but a really good taco/burrito place opened in Soho last year and shut down soon afterwards. Not sure why really, there were always queues out the door when I went past, maybe there was another reason.

"ACTUAL DECENT PIZZA"
There are millions of great pizza places in London.

swears

preppy-kei
The UK could definitely do with more good mexican places, major lack here. Has anyone been to a Bar Burrito? Like a Subway for Mexican stuff, quite bland, you need to drench everything in Tabasco to get any sort of kick out of it.

mos dan

fact music
The UK could definitely do with more good mexican places, major lack here. Has anyone been to a Bar Burrito? Like a Subway for Mexican stuff, quite bland, you need to drench everything in Tabasco to get any sort of kick out of it.

if you get 'hot' rather than 'medium' at mucho mas (link above) it's very very hot, apparently - this according to my new yorker housemate, who should know a good burrito when he sees it. i get medium and it's very tasty as well as sufficiently hot for my limey tastebuds.

so so true about king's cross and the guardian.. i know a few people who work there and it's a golden opportunity.

it's true about burgers and pizza - but so rarely are they both good *and* cheap. too often you have to choose one or the other. but then i guess everything's expensive in london. aside from gozleme (see above).

Chuu

Well La Di Bloody Da
VANNESSA IS 4 YUPPIES

Where abouts is this on Allen? What's it called? I'm going to go later today to check the hype. If it's better than Vanessa and just as cheap I'll be impressed.

£2 ain't gonna buy you much these days.. maybe 1 piece of chicken and chips.

You can still get 2 piece chicken chips and drink for £2 at one of the places on Camden High Street near Mornington Crescent, look for the handwritten sign in the window.

I'm really hoping someone posts about a cheap dumpling house in London at some point... I'll need somewhere to get my fix when I go back.

crackerjack

You can still get 2 piece chicken chips and drink for £2 at one of the places on Camden High Street near Mornington Crescent, look for the handwritten sign in the window.

That doesn't bear thinking about. The ones round here are bad enough, and they're £2.99.

swears

preppy-kei
Fried chicken from chippies/kebab houses is always a bit crap... soggy batter and all brown inside, gross.

zhao

there are no accidents

TACO TRUCK
ACTUAL DECENT HAMBURGERS
BUFFALO WINGS
ACTUAL DECENT PIZZA

can also read BERLIN. man now that i think about it, you would CLEAN UP pretty fucking quickly.

but like i mentioned in the "where to eat in berlin" thread, i was amazed to have found some authentic northern dumplings here.

these look Cantonese: big, thick skin, not enough veggies in the mix, solid and heavy:

vs. Beijing style: thin, small, filled with juice from the veggies:

347_32452_friendseat_recipe1.JPG

and then there is Din Tai Fung - DEAR GOD i miss that place - they have global locations I'm almost certain there is one in London:

dishes.jpg

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
There's the pizza takeaway place on Goodge Street which is great, and pretty cheap too.

yeah, yeah, when i studied in london, that place opened up (oct 1999, if memory serves) and it was certainly passable italian style pizza but it didn't make anyone homesick for NYC, if you get me...

i def spent a fair amount of time eating pizza in london and it varied from totally inedible to "fine"... places that people treated as destination spots there (i trekked all the way to Finsbury Park to try a place that an urban studies prof of mine swore was the best place in london) are places that i wouldn't walk 15 minutes for in nyc...

it seems like there are decent enough italian style pizza places in london, but every place that tried to do american style (or even by the slice) was just bad...

Where abouts is this on Allen? What's it called? I'm going to go later today to check the hype. If it's better than Vanessa and just as cheap I'll be impressed.

about 50 feet down from Delancey, accross from the totally awesome Congee Village... get the pork buns, they are better than the dumplings... buns are 4 for a buck, dumplings are 5 for a buck... i think the buns there are of my fav foods ever, i've prolly eaten thousands of them...

Fried chicken from chippies/kebab houses is always a bit crap... soggy batter and all brown inside, gross.

is there any good fried chicken in london? it's something you really have to seek out in NYC, most places blow... wheras every time i go to Georgia to visit relatives i end up having amazing fried chicken every single place i go... Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room in Savannah may be the best fried chicken i've ever had...

if you get 'hot' rather than 'medium' at mucho mas (link above) it's very very hot, apparently - this according to my new yorker housemate, who should know a good burrito when he sees it. i get medium and it's very tasty as well as sufficiently hot for my limey tastebuds.

naw, most burritos in NYC suck... and most nyers are happy eating very shitty burritos stuffed with rice n beans (YUCK... SF STYLE BURRITOS=GROSS) at plces like Benny's Burritos or Burritoville...

Southern California is land of plenty when it comes to burritos in the US... i have not been to San Diego in like 7 years and i still have dreams about the chicken burrito from La Posta de Aculpoco on Washington St. in Mission Hill ($1.85 in 2002)... i came to NYC and spent years trying to find a good burrito and sadly, i never have... always w/ that damned rice in it, ugh... a burrito should be mostly meat, really...

the recent influx of mexicans has brought along alot of AMAZING little tacquerias and taco trucks, but you're better off getting tacos or even tortas at those places as opposed to burritos... i've never seen a mexican order a burrito at any of them, ever... mexicans in southern california and NYC are generally from different parts of mexico and think the SoCal ones are more of a burrito culture...

it's true about burgers and pizza - but so rarely are they both good *and* cheap. too often you have to choose one or the other. but then i guess everything's expensive in london. aside from gozleme (see above).

exactly... pizza should be something you can get decently on the corner and spend the same on lunch as you would at McDonald's... the fact that poncy italian style pizza joints serving truffle oil pizzas in london doesn't mean you can get good pizza in london...

i dunno, their may be decent hamburgers in ldn, but every single one i had was pretty poor... and really paying a lot of a hamburger is kind of a joke, right? i mean, once you pay over a certain amount, why not just get a steak, no?

strange, the culture that can make pretty yummy n cheap pies out of hamburger meat can not seem to master molding it into a patty...

petergunn

plywood violin
can also read BERLIN. man now that i think about it, you would CLEAN UP pretty fucking quickly.

but like i mentioned in the "where to eat in berlin" thread, i was amazed to have found some authentic northern dumplings here.

these look Cantonese: big, thick skin, not enough veggies in the mix, solid and heavy:

those look pretty great... i actually thought berlin was pretty good for cheap eats... i think i just rotated currywurst and fries or lamajun for most meals and was pretty fucking happy with that...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
vs. Beijing style: thin, small, filled with juice from the veggies:

347_32452_friendseat_recipe1.JPG

and then there is Din Tai Fung - DEAR GOD i miss that place - they have global locations I'm almost certain there is one in London:

dishes.jpg

There's a shop (a grocery, not a takeaway) across the road from my house that sells frozen dumplings that look just like that when cooked, though they're actually made in Korea. Delicious, all the same.

luka

those things are alright but the way you're all going on about them is well over the top. gimmie a portion of chips anyday