IdleRich

IdleRich
Just a note on the court case scores, I'm taking the record from this guy Marc E Elias who is - as far as I can tell - main lawyer for the democrats and democracy, effectively, the bulwark against Trump. He seems to be running things and it's his score I'm using. He has a particular system he uses where he doesn't count failed appeals on the same Issue (I think that's right) so it may appear that he's slightly undercounting the wins, which he now reports as 51-1.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In fact there is a made up story going round that SCOTUS voted 6-3 to take the Texas case. The story is that the MSM (duh) are refusing to cover this story because... er... well, because obviously... they're not covering it alright.

Leo

Lou Dobbs suggested the Trump campaign pay Elias five hundred million dollars to sit it out and stop making them look stupid.

that's life in the MAGAswamp: everyone's corrupt, so just pay them off to get what you want.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah exactly. He doesn't even realise that it could be interpreted that way, doesn't bother to hide it. Perfectly normal for him obviously.

wild greens

I read this earlier and it seems to be a byproduct of the election- its interesting that these sort of articles now talk as if external powers view Biden as a sort of sea change, that of the kind that would anticipate large scale changes in global approach

You see this talk in global warming discussion as well

Anywy

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I read this earlier and it seems to be a byproduct of the election- its interesting that these sort of articles now talk as if external powers view Biden as a sort of sea change, that of the kind that would anticipate large scale changes in global approach

You see this talk in global warming discussion as well

Anywy
Granted I'm no expert on either economics or on China, but I just watched a talk about China's new five year plan, and I don't see how dual circulation is "darkly pessimistic" - then again, could just be alluring wording for this article.

Just seems to involve a split-priority between national and global - not sure how the logistics pan out, but I guess I can see how that can seem suspicious from a purely globalist perspective. But hasn't covid demonstrated the potential wisdom in hedging your bets like this, rather than leaning on the international trade circuitry with your full weight?

Leo

And now Texas is suing a number of suits at the Supreme Court to strike off their electors....

Interesting angle on the suit, brought by Texas’s Attorney General Ken Paxton

It is possible—likely, even—that Paxton is advancing this nonsense because he has been under indictment since 2015 for securities fraud, is now under investigation by the FBI for bribery and abuse of office, and is hoping to impress Trump enough to get a presidential pardon. Just today, the FBI issued at least one subpoena for records from Paxton’s office. Knowing that this lawsuit has virtually no chance of winning, he could file it and win points with Trump while also knowing it would go nowhere.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also have you seen all these weird entities weighing in on the case including some states you may not know; New California and New Nevada.

wild greens

Granted I'm no expert on either economics or on China, but I just watched a talk about China's new five year plan, and I don't see how dual circulation is "darkly pessimistic" - then again, could just be alluring wording for this article.

Just seems to involve a split-priority between national and global - not sure how the logistics pan out, but I guess I can see how that can seem suspicious from a purely globalist perspective. But hasn't covid demonstrated the potential wisdom in hedging your bets like this, rather than leaning on the international trade circuitry with your full weight?

I don't believe any media sources in their entirety, but I do find the conceptual shift of external viewpoint to be incredibly drastic given that its only a four year term. Yet you see articles saying China is ready to shift its entire strategic viewpoint off the back off it.

Equally things like this on climate change

Talks about a sea change for 30 years off the back of one old man beating another.

Perhaps they see something I don't. Who knows

vimothy

yurp
cool let's look at yr sources. cos did you actually, like, read any of them?
no i didn't - I thought about it briefly but then, like you said, no one was discussing trump's attempt to overthrow the american govt, so the best I could do would be to spam random links

the first Atlantic piece says
you mean the one called "What Can You Do If Trump Stages a Coup?" 🤔

but it's a real stretch to say that any are predictions of a violent coup.
but not a non-violent coup, a kind of friendly over-throwing of the government - thats totally reasonable?

so like, either find better sources - if it's so easy that shouldn't be a problem - or stop trying to make it seem like there was a hysterical wave of violent coup predictions that totally failed to materialize
sorry, there was no hysterical wave of *violent* coup predictions - it was a wave of qualified *non-violent* coup predictions, which is a totally different thing

Leo

It is particularly astonishing that 17 of the House signatories to the suit were elected by voters in the states whose election results Texas was seeking to invalidate. They signed a letter directly challenging the legitimacy of their own victories and the integrity of their own states’ elections.

:unsure:

Leo

and this...

Paul Pascrell (D-NJ) has circulated a letter stating that since 106 Republicans believe the 2020 election was a fraud, those returning to Congress based on their own recent victories in it should not be seated. How can they accept their seat if the election was fraudulent?